MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Event organiser, NMCS
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MINI United is to take place on 22-23-24 May 2009 in England (for those of you that have missed this info), and it looks like the event will take place at Silverstone, world famous for its annual F1-race and for being one of the most classic racetracks in England and Europe.
This year also marks the 50th anniversary of the carmaker Mini/MINI, so it will probably be something special :cool:

The reason for me to start this thread here is that I thought it could be fun to know approx how many people will come to the MINI United from the various MINIclubs around Europe.

I am a member of the board in New MINI Club Sweden (NMCS) and from our club we are counting to around 15-20 persons and probably around ten cars 8give or take a few).
Some of us (including me) will fly in and catch a ride with a MINIfriend in the U.K. (save some mileage on my CooperS plus that it is quite cheap to fly).

Please post the approx amount of people and cars that will go to the United from your club/country.

I hope to see some of you guys at MU 2009!

·
* shooting pictures *
3,144 Posts
mmm a double thread since there's also one in the UK section, but never mind.

Normally from our club I guess we'll be with 6 cars during those days.
Maybe a few extra closer to the event but I don't know.

For the rest I don't know what MINI Belgium is planning for MU 2009 but normally there's always some people coming over too.

·
Event organiser, NMCS
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mmm a double thread since there's also one in the UK section, but never mind.
Yes, I know this is sort of a double, but in case people around Europe is manily looking in this section and not the U.K. one I thought it would be fair for people to know about it, plus the fact that this question is for you guys out in the various MINIclubs in Europe :)

When I have got some responses, this thread can be closed so there will be no double discussions about MU, better to keep it in one thread :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
We are coming from Italy & following everything in the UK area

2 weeks ago on the way home from work I got a wave from an Italian S driver so we went to the next roundabout side by side turned off and parked up for a chat

With my very pigeon Italian and his small amount of English we talked about the cars and also MINI United 2009. There will be a fairly large group coming up from Italy for their 3rd MINI United.

Once my Italian is better I will join their forum (it is all in Italian) and pass on the info to both sites

·
Event organiser, NMCS
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alan, since you sometimes visit Sweden you must learn swedish and join our community aswell ;)

Good to hear that the italian MINIguys and gals will join the masses at MU 2009, we will be like a one big family with roots in many nations around the world, something truly MINI :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
''' Sometimes visit Sweden is a bit of an understatement ''''

I have been in Lund / Malmo 3 times in the last 4 weeks

My Second home is the Radisson hotel in Malmo where I have checked in over 250 times and stayed there for over 700 nights. At one time 4 years ago I was staying there more than at home in UK :D:D

Be carefull --- even if my spoken Swedish is limited, my understanding is greater, I have caught a few business people out with thsi one :D:D

·
Event organiser, NMCS
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
''' Sometimes visit Sweden is a bit of an understatement ''''

I have been in Lund / Malmo 3 times in the last 4 weeks

My Second home is the Radisson hotel in Malmo where I have checked in over 250 times and stayed there for over 700 nights. At one time 4 years ago I was staying there more than at home in UK :D:D

Be carefull --- even if my spoken Swedish is limited, my understanding is greater, I have caught a few business people out with thsi one :D:D
Ok, I will not say anything stupid in swedish when you are around then ;)
As I have said, if you are in Stockholm, give me a buzz :cool:

So we have covered Sweden, Belgium and Italy so far, anybody else out there with an approximate amount of club members going to MU 2009?

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
I have no idea how many owners might be coming from Luxembourg (I saw 5 Lux-registered MINIs at MU2007, but didn't know any of the owners).

I have now made little "MINI United - will you be there?" cards, and I leave one on the screen of every MINI I find :D Otherwise, the dealer here is not making any obvious effort to promote the event, but maybe they are all waiting for official confirmation of the venue?

Will keep persevering........

Ian

Attachments

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Every dealer I visited in 2007 made no effort in advertising the event, in 2005 they did.
Not good! Anyone got any idea WHO is organising the event this time round? Is it MINI UK, or someone in Munich? I think it's time to start pestering them to raise the profile!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Every dealer I visited in 2007 made no effort in advertising the event, in 2005 they did.
If I remember rightly Vikki we actually had to inform the dealers about United 2007, they had no idea what we were talking about!! :angry:

Not good! Anyone got any idea WHO is organising the event this time round? Is it MINI UK, or someone in Munich? I think it's time to start pestering them to raise the profile!
All I can tell you is 2005 and 2007 were both organised by Munich, so may be this one will be as well.

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
If I remember rightly Vikki we actually had to inform the dealers about United 2007, they had no idea what we were talking about!! :angry:

All I can tell you is 2005 and 2007 were both organised by Munich, so may be this one will be as well.

Yes, indeed! I keep pestering the dealership here in Luxembourg, and also their Head Office in Brussels - they must be getting quite sick of me by now! But do I care?????

So we have to start working on Munich now? I had thought that, as this event is based in the UK, they might consider that the folks in the UK actually know a thing or 2 about running a decent event.....;)

I wonder if anyone has invited some celebrity VIPs to MU 2009 yet? I think the least we could do is get a one or 2 of the Royal Family along (did any of them ever have a MINI?) And I'm sure there are loads of other famous Brits who drive MINI's - can anyone suggest some names?

Ian

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Speedferries - Bad Rumours?

Hey all Channel-hoppers. My missus heard something on the French radio today that she thinks was about Speedferries going into administration. No idea if this is true, but certianly can't seem to get their web pages to load.

So, anyone thinking about this company to get to MU 2009 - please double check and be thoughtful......

If amnyone can confirm we are wrong, please do let us know.

Ian

·
Event organiser, NMCS
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your reply guys :cool:

As for Sweden, the MINI importer did not promote United 2007 so much, but they were there to treat the swedish MINIacs to some traditional midsummer food, as United in Zandvoort were held at this weekend in June 2007 that is one of the most celebrated and traditional weekends in Sweden (same class as christmas but in the summer).

I know that they will participate in the U.K. aswell, but is a bit uncertain at the moment if they will do a special programme for their Swedish customers.

New MINI Club Sweden (NMCS) has got an excellent collaboration with MINI Sweden, but we are still free to do various things since we are not bound to them, which is good for both parties :)

·
Chilli
2,499 Posts
I saw ages ago, can't remember what country, might of been germany? they had there own MINI United this year. Anyone know about that?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey all Channel-hoppers. My missus heard something on the French radio today that she thinks was about Speedferries going into administration. No idea if this is true, but certianly can't seem to get their web pages to load.

So, anyone thinking about this company to get to MU 2009 - please double check and be thoughtful......

If amnyone can confirm we are wrong, please do let us know.

Ian
Latest Travel News

7 November 2008 09:00

Arrest of SpeedOne by the Port Authorities in Boulogne

Yesterday afternoon, shortly after 17:00 UK time, the Port authorities of Boulogne arrested SpeedFerries’ SpeedOne during its turnaround. The arrest was made on the basis of SpeedFerries Limited’s debts to the port in relation to port dues and taxes.

The arrest was totally unexpected, as the authorities had given written confirmation that no legal steps would be taken prior to a meeting planned for 10:00 today. At this meeting SpeedFerries in consultation with its bankers and financial advisors, were to present a proposal for a resolution of the issues relating to outstanding dues and taxes, as well as disputes with the Port regarding:

A) Substantial counterclaims towards the Port which have been entirely ignored by the French authorities, and

B) Serious competition and discriminatory issues in relation to the Port’s dealings with a French ferry operator preparing to start-up a Dover-Boulogne service.

The authorities informed the SpeedFerries staff on site that the arrest was carried out despite the written agreement, as “this would strengthen the negotiating position of the Port against SpeedFerries”.

As the actions of the Boulogne Port authorities are now proven to be unpredictable and inconsistent with their given guarantees, SpeedFerries finds itself in a position where it is unable to inform its customers, employees or business partners, of a firm date for the resumption of services.

The company deeply regrets this situation and asks everyone affected to accept our sincere apologies. Further statements will be issued when more information of substance becomes available.

SpeedFerries Limited
Curt Stavis
Chief Executive Officer

·
* shooting pictures *
3,144 Posts
Not good ...

BTW @ Dalboyne. I got contacted by P&O ferries for special rate for crossing this year, because of the MINI events going on. I got a nice price BUT they thought MU 2009 was being held in August a bit earlier then IMM. So when I told them about the other date they would get back to me regarding the price. Maybe this has to do with you calling Philip all the time :p ;)

I'll keep you posted

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Cheers Morty!

We also have a possible offer from Eurotunnel...but we can't go forwards until there is a definite idea of numbers......

Ian

·
Event organiser, NMCS
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cheers Morty!

We also have a possible offer from Eurotunnel...but we can't go forwards until there is a definite idea of numbers......

Ian
This was one of the ideas why I started this thread, trying to find out approx how many would go there from mainland Europe, making it easier to plan this, but that type of replies has not surfaced (but I really do appreciate the replies from you that has replied in this thread :) ).

Maybe it is better to start a new thread about this, but since I will be flying over maybe it is best if anybody who will go to United from Europe with their MINI (or other car) takes care of this - Ian or Morty, you guys seems to have things under control, how about you ;)

1 - 20 of 139 Posts