MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following is my email to MINI USA and their response regarding interest lists and placing an order. I hope it's helpful to others who are waiting or unclear of the overall situation.

(Original email to MINI USA)

To Whom It May Concern:

After receiving the official US Cooper S pricing, I made an inquiry on Tuesday 1/8/02 to my local dealer asking where my position was on the interest list for a Cooper S. I was told that they would not be releasing to ANYONE where they aare in line so to speak and that they were 30-60 days from moving forward. This information seems contrary to other MINI enthusiasts around the country who know exactly where they stand and a lot of them have already made deposits. After months of research, observing the car at the LA Auto Show and frequent visits to this website along with the MINI2.com website - my concern is that if I expressed interest way back in June , 2001 and now that pricing is available - I want some sort of confirmation. Please let me know if this type of response is consistent with other MINI dealerships. I am an avid car enthusiast or probably
more of an avid car MAGAZINE enthusiast but I certainly am a QUALIFIED buyer and have been putting off purchasing a new car. The last thing I want to do is make a big deal out of this situation, but I do insist that my interest has some chronological merit to it. I have kept the emails as documentation.
I'm sure BMW must be thrilled that people are fighting to get in line to give them money - from what I've read it still seems to be true. Thanks - Really looking forward to buying my Cooper S.

(Response from MINI USA)

Thank you for your tremendous interest in MINI passenger cars. MINI Division is counting upon the support of MINI enthusiasts such as yourself to make the reintroduction of MINI passenger cars into the United States an unqualified
success.

At MINI Division, we are very concerned about making certain that the distribution of MINI passenger cars in the spring of 2002 proceeds as smoothly as possible. Currently, we are working diligently to create a dealer network for
MINI passenger cars and have identified prospective dealer candidates throughout the country with whom we intend to enter into franchise agreements. However, this process is not complete and therefore at the present time there are no
authorized, franchised MINI passenger car dealers at all in the United States.

As you know there is a tremendous outpouring of affection for the new MINI. Accordingly, we have authorized prospective MINI dealer candidates to take the names of those individuals interested in obtaining additional information or eventually acquiring a MINI passenger car.

However, please keep in mind that our MINI dealer candidates are independently owned and operated. They determine the details of their own sales transactions,
including selling price and waiting lists.

While dealers are keeping lists, some dealers (in the best interest of their customers) are not confirming exact positions on this list until their dealership, and the all other MINI dealers, are fully authorized and franchised.

It's great that your emails document your actions in June 2001. When contacting your dealer, please reference any dealer email replies confirming you were added to a wait list. Also note the representative who added you to a wait list when you called, visited, or emailed in June.

We apologize for any frustration you have experienced in your efforts to try to be among the first to acquire a MINI passenger car in the United States.

Thank you again for your inquiry, and we know that the MINI you eventually acquire will provide you with years of motoring enjoyment.

MINI USA
Customer Relations

·
Registered
79 Posts
That must be frustrating but........

Like Mini USA says, if the dealerships are independantly owned and want to keep this information to themselves (Can`t see what the big deal is myself) then there`s not much they can do.

Why don`t you ask the dealer principle himself what the big secret is?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Great idea! Go right to the source. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have your exact concerns myself. I placed a $1000 deposit back in July for the car and then my dealer said that they do not have an ordered list at the moment. I feel it should be like most things. First come first serve. Most of the people who put their deposits down first are people who have been waiting and really wanting this car for a long time. Its not very fair if people like us on this message board are sitting around while people like fathers buying their spoiled daughters mini's (because they are cute) because they simply are selected randomly!

If this kind of thing happens I am sure they will not have very many satisfied customers and I am sure anyone who put deposits down early and are not fairly notified about the car will no longer be a mini customer. If I find out that I am going to have to wait because someone put more money on a deposit say this spring and gets their car before I do, I will be sure to cancel my order immediately and find something else to buy and a different dealer.

Hope any of this made sense. :p

J

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Notice how they mention prospective future MINI franchise dealers? This seems like part of an old form letter. As we know, they have already chosen the 70 dealers ages ago (if not, I sure as hell want my $500- deposit back). Their entire response basically gave no good information other than you are on your own!
At least they responded. I've put numerous questions and recommendations in an never received a single response.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jay -

Thanks for responding. Actually, I empathize with you! You gave them the cash. If it's the same in Canada as it is here in the US - the dealers don't have their franchise agreements yet -so why are they taking money? If they assure your place in line that seems fine, that's ALL I ever wanted. But now it seems the dealers in this area are going to a lottery system or they will let everyone on the interest list come in after the cars are there and sell them on a free for all. For all practical purposes it appears that the only way to really order the MINI that you want is to wait until Fall 2002 and order a 2003 for a Spring 2003 delivery. One more year.

I also agree with you, I may buy something else until I can order exactly what I want. It's fun to get caught up in all the hype and I really do like the car but - seriously, we all have a lot of other interests. Also, I didn't dig the attitude of the dealers representatives that I've spoke to. I could go on and comment as to their sexual preferences but that was covered in another thread referring to hairdressers and Mazda Miatas, I don't want to cause any more drama, especially from those types. I'm sure you know what I mean. I hope it works out for all of us.

Take Care

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cape Cod MINI said:
As we know, they have already chosen the 70 dealers ages ago (if not, I sure as hell want my $500- deposit back). Their entire response basically gave no good information other than you are on your own!
At least they responded. I've put numerous questions and recommendations in an never received a single response.
Actually - in talking with my dealer - while they have been "selected" - the paperwork is still not final. He said there is a lot of legal rangling and he was hoping to have it all straightend by the launch. I am guessing this is not just my dealer - and probably explains the cautious language in the response.

·
Registered
146 Posts
minimienymo said:
(Response from MINI USA)
However, please keep in mind that our MINI dealer candidates are independently owned and operated. They determine the details of their own sales transactions,
including selling price and waiting lists.
What this means is that your "List" position is no more secure than what is spelled out in the Deposit Agreement. My guess is that most Deposit Agreements are mute on this subject and the dealer will do what he wants. If you want to be No. 1 then be prepared to add money to the MSRP until you get there! A;) a nod and money are probably going to do you more good than your file of e-mails since June 2001.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Amigos here in Jax Fl the dealer is TOM BUSH (no relation)and they have been very noteworthy , they have a list and our names on a list. they have also accomadated me to purchase my MINI later in the year and they are NOT jacking the prices ABOVE MSRP!!! so I will stick to them caus if i dont like the MINI I can always buy from them the Mazda RX8 or the VW GTI VR6 :D in the same dealer. Adios amigos!!!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
MINI List

I placed a deposit with Town & Country BMW in Toronto. They are the largest BMW dealer in Canada, and told me they are confirmed as a MINI dealer. I gave them a good size deposit, and recieved an invoice. I was clearly told I am about 20th on their list, and recieved good news a week or so ago when the launch edition Coopers were offered. Seems they expect 5 or 10 people to take the launch editions which would move me up the list.

Anyways, my invoice shows a deposit on a Cooper S, and it's dated. The dealership is quite good, and calls me occasionally with updates, pricing and other goodies.

The only cautionary note I recieved was that the dealership has no idea how many units they would recieve. They felt at the time that it would be proportionate to the amount of BMW's they sell, or possibly just evenly split across Canada. They were pushing BMW Canada for the proportion split at the time. So I was essentially told, that they will fill Cooper/Cooper S orders in the order they were recieved, and if there's a Cooper S available at spot 21, then I get it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey noahe. Yeah. I also put a deposit down at town&country. Have you seen the new dealership being built? When did you put your deposit down by the way. They never gave me a number but i have the invoice and stuff as well. I think i remember them saying that they had about 20 deposits at the time. That was around the 11th of July last year. I find that I have to send them an email in order for them to contact me. Maybe its just good timing on my part but I am a little cautious. Let me know!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts