MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i'm a little worried about the amount of oil my MINIs going through, I've had to top it up like every 2 weeks just to keep it at the minimum level. I've got a service due in about 1500 miles and i'm considering changing to fully synthetic oil to see if it helps

Anyone have any ideas on why it might be using so much oil? I do tend to push it to about 4k rpm at times, but i'm not constantly pushing it any higher

Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
How many miles per liter are you seeing? In addition, no MINI should be using anything but full synthetic oil. If you are using conventional oil and changing it at 15,000 miles, you could easily have a problem with sludge or wear or both. In actuality, even the synthetic oil should be changed at 7500 miles or halfway through the computer-generated change time. It is not wise to let any oil go 15,000 miles in a small engine with a 4-5 qt sump. If the engine were big and slow and had low compression and had a 12 qt sump and was driven only on the interstate roads at a constant speed, the oil might go 15,000 miles. Look for a leak first, then check the oil pressure and compression to determine the health of the engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts