MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
RedUn's Manicurist ;-þ
16,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else get this in the mail today or recently?

certain 2002, 2003 and 2004 models may not fully meet the Fed Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources board emission control requirements. (that's a mouthful)

MINI USA has determinded that your MINI automobile leadkage diagnostic system contains a software error preventing the correct detection of a possible evaporation leak.

hmmmm, I bet my hairspray causes more problems....

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Yep. I got the same letter from MINI.

Just be sure to read the second page. They pretty much say that if you don't have the VOLUNTARY recall done, they won't cover any emissions problems in the future. :eek:

Sounds like a mandatory, voluntary recall to me. :mad:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Got it too

I got it too -- for my 2002 MINI Cooper. WIsh I had gotten it earlier as I can't get to the dealership until November and I had a day off last week. Oh well...

·
Spectator
1,563 Posts
I got two for my ex-MINI:

04E-A01 - Tank Leakage Software
04E-A03 - Crankcase Breather Line

I'm looking forward to writing a scathing letter describing how I sold my MINI rather than put up with it's poor quality (as demonstrated by two recalls in one month).

I wonder who was lucky enough to get recall 04E-A02?

Chip H.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got one.

I thought the wording for the emission issue was rather technical and not explained very well.

Liked the last paragraph "On a personal note..."

Do we know what software version for the ECM fixes this problem? I'd hate to go all the way to the dealer to find out that I did not have to!

-Michael

·
OCD MINI Owner
33 Posts
I had this done last week when I had the car at the dealer for an oil change. I actually asked about a computer update for some cold weather problems and they provided me with this required update for the evaporator leak reading by the computer. As I understood it, the computer could mistakenly read an evaporator leak and trigger the service engine light. The cold weather revs crashing and the car either stalling or almost stalling was not fixed with the update though.

This is the first recall on the car and not too bad considering all of the other stuff I read about. Seems pretty minor too- more regulation than an actual problem.

Motor On. :indi:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got them both today, gonna call for an appt tomorrow. I'm in California and they're emission crazy here. It be crazy not to do it, emission repair cost cap is way too high here.

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
CoryB said:
Yep. I got the same letter from MINI.

Just be sure to read the second page. They pretty much say that if you don't have the VOLUNTARY recall done, they won't cover any emissions problems in the future. :eek:

Sounds like a mandatory, voluntary recall to me. :mad:
I got mine yesterday, both the 04E-A01 and the 04E-A03 recalls.

I think the "voluntary" refers to the fact that BMW/MINI is doing this without being told by the government that they have to. So it is "voluntary" on their part, not on ours. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Got my notice on the 21st, had it serviced on the 22nd. It took about a half hour to do the job, but I had to wait 1 1/2 hrs because it was a busy day for the mechanics.

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
I talked to my service advisor and he said there was no rush and it could wait until my next oil change, about 3,000 miles.

I figure to have all of the warranty issues addressed at the same time; two recalls, squeaky drivers seat, rattles in the dash, re-programmong the "comfort opening" that was lost when they installed the rear fogs, fix the leak in the boot hatch (third stop light gasket), finish wearing off the support leg of the center counsel, and an un-published service "SI M 32 01 04" that seperates the power steering fan from the cooling fan circuit so that a plastic bag in the power steering fan will not overheat the engine.

I sort of need to get these things fixed before I trade it in on a new MCS :D

·
Owner & Motoring Advisor
158 Posts
Voluntary recall just refers to the fact that the factory took it upon themselves to start the campaign. It wasn't federally or court required.

I had both done on my car. I'm inclined to think it runs a tiny bit better, but it could just be psychological... hehehe...

·
cristo
2,851 Posts
Got mine in the mail today. Since I live in Pennsylvania, I'll have to get it done
before my next emissions inspection. Maybe after the 39.2 reflash I'll get
an AMD OneClick or something similar done (don't have a laptop, so the MTH
flash isn't my preference).

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
I got my letter a few weeks ago had it taken care of when I took the car in for another matter. It was a very quick software fix.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I got mine a while ago and am going in next week, should I do it? any chance of new software causing a stumble, or surging, should I wait for a specific software version. I dont want to be updated into problems, anyone else done this, what are the observations??...thanks...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the emissions reprogramming done to my '04 Cooper S about 2 weeks ago without even asking. The car was in for the 10,000 mile service, and they did this recall service as well (even before the letter arrived!). When the letter came, I called to check that they had done the work, and was told yes, I was all set. I had a bit of yo-yo before, and the new programming update seems to have fixed that, so I wouldn't worry about new bad behavior being introduced.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I haven't received any letters with a July '03 build MCS. But they did both the DME software campaign #110104 and the crankcase vent hose campaign #120104 the last time the car was in about 2 weeks ago. So far so good with the new software.

PS: got the letter this weekend. Two in one envelope.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey Seajanus, did you get yours done at the Sacto dealer? My 30K service is imminent, and I'm debating where to get my car serviced...

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
jmoser said:
Hey Seajanus, did you get yours done at the Sacto dealer? My 30K service is imminent, and I'm debating where to get my car serviced...
Yes, I got it done at Niello. I've been pretty happy with their MINI service department overall.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts