MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
brown is back
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, I'm fine. Not a scratch, bump, or bruise. The moose, well, I'm not sure if it was all me or if the two other cars that ran it over after I hit it (but before the police arrived), but the moose didn't make it.

I was travelling down the highway here in Vermont at ~70mph, 11:30 or so at night. It's strange, but even though I can't say that I ever saw the moose, I immediately knew that a moose was what I had hit. It was almost entirely in the left lane, I was driving down the right. I caught the back legs, something (the butt?) got my windshield, something took off my driver's side mirror and put a dent in the driver's door. The moose wound up spun around 180 degrees - the cops thought I had hit its head (which I hadn't).

No airbags went off.

Now, the insurance fun begins. I've got an adjuster coming tomorrow morning. I hope it's not as bad a sign as I think when they call to tell me "I'm coming tomorrow to look at your Cooper van." "A MINI Cooper? what's that". "Is it one of those little station wagons?" ugh.

More pictures available here

The odd looking extra silver thing on the passenger's side of the bumper is the tow hook. The police wouldn't let me drive the MINI away because of the windshield damage and the fact that it was night.

Attachments

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
Glad you're OK Jason. You must have been really lucky not to get glass in your eyes - do you wear glasses to drive..?
Looks like the hood, wing and A pillar damage may have affected the whole alignment of the front wheel. Can you at least get a new screen fitted - would it go in..?
Hope the insurance company come through for you...

·
MINI2 Senior Derelict
768 Posts
Wow. I hope you realize how lucky you were. My wife and her uncle hit a moose back in '97 while driving to New Brunswick from Quebec. It was a "small female moose" weighing around 750lbs! They hit it head on doing around 110kph. Here's some picture of what once was my '96 Honda Accord coupe, needless to say it wasn't a convertible until the moose had his way with the car. My wife was in intensive care for 5 days, hospital for 3 weeks and didn't work for several months, she's fine now. Heck, she didn't even know who I was at first. Her uncle was luckier, he spent a night in hospital and then was released.

I'm so happy to hear that you didn't get hurt after what my wife went through.

Cheers,

Paul

Attachments

·
brown is back
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
obehave said:

Also hope that A pillar isn't damaged.
That's one of my fears too... The black outer covering seems to be pretty plastic-y, and is shattered. There's some close to body color metal underneath. If that's bent, I bet that means things get much more expensive.

·
Expect Anything Else?
270 Posts
Next Door Neighbor

Well glad you are OK. I have seen other Moose strikes, was it on Rt 89? I am heading that way in a couple of weeks to go to Plattsburg.

If it had been a MCS you might have zipped right by it without touching it.

Did the side of the moose have a bumper sticker "Smile as you go Under"?

Good luck with the insurance company and let us know what they say.

·
minimalist
585 Posts
hey snid, so glad you're ok. back in sweden, i saw a lot of moose-related accidents and they rarely have as happy endings for either driver or car. moose are particularly bad because they're heavy but their weight is carried far up on long thin legs - when you hit them they tend to go through your windshield and land in your lap.

consider yourself very lucky and here's hoping your car only had superficial damage!

·
puckstopper
4,260 Posts
Well, I guess you'll be first in line for one of those "Brake for Moose: It Could Save Your Life" bumper stickers you see around here.

It doesn't look quite as bad as I thought it might, actually. Lots of dents, but not as "mashed" as some post-moose cars I've seen. Front bumper, hood, windscreen, a-pillar cover, mirror, and maybe door skin (if they can't tap out that dent). It looks like the shattering of the windscreen is what pushed off the inside a-pillar cover, as opposed to any warping of the pillar itself, the pillar (at least from what we can see in the pics) still looks straight. Hopefully it is. That's the key, because if you've ever watched the "how we make them" time lapse video on the MINI website, you'll see that the a-pillar is part of one of the basic building blocks of the car, one of the first basic half dozen or so pieces that the robots weld together before humans ever touch the car. The a-pillar is part of one big piece that includes the entire door frame, the edge of the roofline from front to back and the whole rear window frame. I don't think it's a part they can replace (the pics below show the part in question). Odds are, if the a-pillar is shot, so is the car...

-Ricardo

Attachments

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Re: MINI vs moose

snid said:
First off, I'm fine. Not a scratch, bump, or bruise. ....
Wow! Sorry to hear of your accident but very encouraged to learn that you are well. As much as we like them, its at times like this it becomes very clear that any MINI is simply a replaceable object -- people, of course, are not.

The damage to your MINI looks very much like the way my MINI looked after an accident I had when a flying pickup truck tire (mounted on a heavy steel wheel complete with a brake drum still attached) came flying at high speed right at my MINI:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14600

From what I can tell, the A-pillar on MINIs has been engineered to be incredibly strong. I would bet there is no damage at all there on your car, and as far as sheet metal parts you'll only need a new hood, cowl, and the little front fender piece replaced. That's all the new sheet metal my car required.

·
Welcome back...
1,435 Posts
Re: Next Door Neighbor

MudBud said:
If it had been a MCS you might have zipped right by it without touching it.

[/B]
Didn't realize that the MCS was Moose Proof, hmmm may have to upgrade.

Winslow
:green:

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Wow. So glad you are OK!

We have a cousin who was killed when he hit a moose so I know how serious this kind of accident this can be. Must have been very scary.

·
1.6 Litres of fury!!!!
1,265 Posts
This thing looks like a MAF sensor, not sure why it would be hanging outside or your front bumper though...

·
brown is back
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MGB Boy said:
So what does Johnny Claims-adjuster have to say?
The adjuster gave it what seemed to me to be a fairly quick look and went on his merry way. He wasn't set up with all that new fangled computerized wireless stuff, so he didn't get a final total on the spot. After he left, I called the local BMW / Porsche / Mercedes / etc dealer to see if they did bodywork. They don't, but the gave me the name of the shop in town they send their BMWs to.

I decided, possibly unwisely, to drive over to that shop. On the way, I noticed that the alignment is off. When I let go of the wheel it slowly turns more and more to the right. Anyway, I got to the body shop and felt like they were a pretty good place to have work on the car. They had worked on a few MINIs before... they were (presumably) honest and said that they hadn't done any major work on one, but at least they know what one is :)

Got a much better looking at at the body shop. The guy there checked the clearance between the door and the quarter panel. We tried to open the hood, but he couldn't get the release thingy near the headlight to release, so that's still a slight unknown. The A-pillar is still suspect. The body shop guy said it looks like that portion of the car (the windshield / A-pillar area) to a very heavy hit.

If I remember what was said correctly, the plan is to get the windshield out and check for structural damage. I think he said dry fit a new windshield and see if it goes in right, but hopefully there's something more high-tech than that. Their history of MINI parts availability is ~5 days between ordering and arrival. They're considering the car to be undrivable, so it takes priority over drivable cars for getting work done. Their BMW guy is going to be the one working on it.

I did get to see the body shop using their computer to do up an estimate... I thought I saw something around $3500 when I was there.

The insurace company called me up, said they had recieved both estimates and that both of them were in agreement, and that they were cutting a check for $2142.62

I called the body shop this morning, and they said not to worry about the seeming discrepency.

I got both estimates faxed to me today. I certainly don't understand this stuff... the adjuster's estimate totals out at $2492.62 I think I'm missing a page from the body shop's estimate... but everybody says they're in agreement.

I've got a rental VW Beetle 5 speed. I really miss the MINI now. I never understood the difference between a good shifter and a bad one until now.

The gory details of parts from the body shop (I think there's a page missing):
  • 51116800140 - cover, front bumper - $144.00
  • 51116800143 - strip, front bumper - $22.50
  • 51111490062 - mldg, frt bmpr cvr upr - $23.75
  • 51116800135 - spoiler, lower front - $31.00
  • 51117032900 - filler, front bumper - $24.25
  • 63126911705 - headlamp assy, halogen lt - $145.00
  • 63176911721 - lamp assembly, fog lt - $36.25
  • 41617067753 - panel, hood - $293.00
  • 51231496304 - latch, hood panel lt - $14.80
  • 51311483874 - windshield, shaded - $199.00
  • refinish front bumper cover
  • refinish hood
  • repair / refinish front fender left
  • R&I assembly - mldg, fender side
  • R&I assembly - grille, frt fndr lou lt

Obviously, that's not all because the side mirror (among other things) is not listed... not sure what R&I means either

The gory details of parts from the appraiser:
  • rpl front spoiler center - $31.00
  • rpr front bumper cover
  • rpl left front bumper chrome cover - $22.50
  • rpl left front headlamp assy, standard, W/O aim headlamps - $145.00
  • rpl hood, base model - $293.00
  • rpl windshield, MINI, W/O rain sensor - $470 (in a column headed "sublet")
  • rpl left reveal molding, side - $56.00
  • rpl reveal molding, upper - $8.30
  • rpr left door shell
  • rpl left door mirror base w/folding - $52.25
  • rpl left door cover black - $84.25
  • rpl left door mirror glass, w/heat - $43.75
  • R&I left door handle, outside
  • R&I left door trim panel, leatherette, silver
  • rpl left wiper arm - $21.50
  • rpl left blade - $10.40
  • rpr left uniside assy

So, most things match up, a few don't (aside from the missing stuff from the body shop) Most obvious is the difference in windshield prices - $199.00 vs $470.00

Still have to see if there's anything in the engine bay, if the structural thing behind the bumper (bumper rail?) is damaged, if the a-pillar is damaged, and then worry about alignment / suspension / other mechanical issues.

If I am getting a new hood, and possible some of the stuff in that whole bumper / grille area replaced, I'll probably get the 3M film shield junk put on it at the dealer. Those stone chips were pretty bad from one winter of driving. If I get to start over in that respect, why not?

The estimate say ~5 days of work. So, with a ~5 day part delivery time, it might only be a couple of weeks. Yeah, right :)

·
brown is back
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LuckyRVA said:
This thing looks like a MAF sensor, not sure why it would be hanging outside or your front bumper though...

It's the outside air temperature sensor... It's supposed to be tucked up behind something, but it got bounced loose.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
R&I is remove and install (I believe that's what the letters actually mean). In anycase Anything that's not damaged, like the door handles, need to be taken off before the door's painted, then put back on. I wonder if the price difference in windshields is dealer + aftermarket. Someone stated they had gotten a PPG windshield, so perhaps cheaper alternatives are around now.

·
puckstopper
4,260 Posts
snid said:

If I am getting a new hood, and possible some of the stuff in that whole bumper / grille area replaced, I'll probably get the 3M film shield junk put on it at the dealer. Those stone chips were pretty bad from one winter of driving. If I get to start over in that respect, why not?
Actually, that thought occurred to me this morning... "Hey, now he won't have to worry about all those stone chips on the nose..." I swear, I couldn't believe the number of stone chips that car had. Do you follow gravel trucks around?

Two weeks sounds really nip 'n' tuck regarding the Mt Washington run. You just might get to re-christen it by heading up the mountain...

-R

·
brown is back
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Still waiting... Stopped by the body shop this afternoon to see what was up and make sure the check I got from the insurance company wouldn't cause any problems as it is made out to both me and the bank I have the car loan from. No problem with the check. The MINI was inside, but positioned so that all I could see of it through the window is the back right corner - the front left side(s) have the damage. The windshield was out, but that was about all I could see. No mention was made of A-pillar damage, so I'm assuming that means there isn't any. No mention of ordered parts that didn't arrive. There was mention of some small dents on the roof that were previously unnoticed. We're going with moose damage for those. I was still told "late this week" for when it will be done. I'm still not expecting it.

·
The Iron Pyrite
830 Posts
So has anyone cracked a "MINI Moose" joke yet - just wondering.

Glad to hear you're ok - from what I've heard it could have been a lot worse. Testament to the strength on the MINI.

·
1st MINI Owner in QLD !!!
2,467 Posts
WOW!!

From the looks of that photo your headlight covers didn't break:) Looks like my Mini guy was correct in saying they are unbreakable...well to a certain extent anyway:)

·
brown is back
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: WOW!!

brett said:
From the looks of that photo your headlight covers didn't break:) Looks like my Mini guy was correct in saying they are unbreakable...well to a certain extent anyway:)
Oh, the one on the driver's side broke. It just doesn't photo very well.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts