MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I love my toy
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, i'm new to the forums as i just picked up an 02. Im a noob around mini's but not around cars in general... My question is, how well do the stock, non turbo/ s/c motors respond to boost? What psi can safely be run on them with proper tuning? And, what kind of numbers should i expect to see?
Any help would be much appreciated!
Andrew

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
Hey Everyone, i'm new to the forums as i just picked up an 02. Im a noob around mini's but not around cars in general... My question is, how well do the stock, non turbo/ s/c motors respond to boost? What psi can safely be run on them with proper tuning? And, what kind of numbers should i expect to see?
Any help would be much appreciated!
Andrew
Hello Andrew - welcome to MINI2! :D

I think the general concensus is that for the cost of putting forced induction on a ONE/Cooper without having it go bang straight away, it makes more economic sense to simply trade in for a Cooper S. In order to run low enough boost so as not to risk an expensive mistake, it also is not cost effective for the gains. :eek:

Consequently, not many (if any) on here have taken that route - the usual pattern is that people dream about it for a couple of weeks but then they always trade in for the S. :p

All the best,
Andrew (your evil twin from another dimension).​

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Basically the stock NA engine is not that strong. You can expect that it might cope with 150bhp output, but the gearboxes become very unreliable at over 130bhp from the experiences of the tuners and owners on here over the years.

With the right pistons and stuff the block is OK (the S is strong) but just bolting a supercharger or turbo to the stock Cooper/ONE engine, even with correct fueling etc, is just not a good option.... the box and engine will pop quite quickly even on a lowish boost car. If you only want very low boost then they may survive, but then you have to question why not just buy an S in the first place if your going to run 150-170 bhp? (be less to insure stock than a modded ONE/Cooper)

Thats the answer you'll get from most of those who have seriously looked into the car.

·
I love my toy
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the fast responses! I havent heard much on swaps either, however swaps for the MCS engine are available here in canada for a very good price. is this a good alternative since they are a much stronger motor?

the reason i picked up this non S model is because of the deal i was given and the condition of the car :)

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Swaps are easy enough, however you'll not just need an engine. You'll need an S wiring loom, S ECU and also the BCU from the same S as they are paired I believe. Its not as simple as swapping engines in may cars.

·
I love my toy
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Swaps are easy enough, however you'll not just need an engine. You'll need an S wiring loom, S ECU and also the BCU from the same S as they are paired I believe. Its not as simple as swapping engines in may cars.
awesome, sounds easy enough. how about axles? are they different or can the non-S axles be used? also, what is the BCU? i am a honda convert and have never had to deal with anything but ECU's and switching obd's

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
BCU .. is the body control unit (module)... its like the ECU but for the windows and cars body electrics. I believe these have to be paired with the ECU.

I'm not sure on the old drive shafts ... I think that they may need to be changed. I imagine that anything thats changed to do the 1320autos 6 speed conversion to a Cooper or ONE has to be changed if you go to an S engine with S gearbox on the Cooper or ONE. Do a search for the 1320 6 speed conversion on here... they will probably mention on that what gets changed to allow the Cooper/One to hold an S gearbox.

·
I love my toy
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just a quick question pertaining to the non S. which part of the motor is weak or is the failing point? it is possible to swap in a cooperS six speed with an adaptor also is it not?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts