MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Moderator & Sponsor
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI - Someone in the NYC area is selling (price undisclosed) their place on a MINI dealership's waiting list:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4424

(I only mention this here in the General Discussion forum because many of us in the US, having no MINIs yet, may not be regular readers of the the For Sale forum.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
Who Cares?

BruceK, I remember that you posted a COOPER list position for sale on ebay back in December, starting at $5ooUSD. It did not get any bids what-so-ever. If some idiot wants to buy a position on an interest list, that's fine by me. If the seller doesn't have a signed buyer's order, then what of value is he selling? Some dealers won't allow a transfer of a buyer's order anyhow, especially if they are selling MSRP, in order to cut down on straw sales and speculative buying. Of course, the seller could buy the car and flip it immediately, but that adds cost and transfer of title complications.
But since there are no laws being violated in this instance, I have no problem with it. My prediction is the offer to sell will be met by only indifference. I don't think this subject is worthy of more than a cursory comment. Therefore I am signing off now. BYE.
 

·
Moderator & Sponsor
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Who Cares?

karmuze said:
BruceK, I remember that you posted a COOPER list position for sale on ebay back in December, starting at $5ooUSD. It did not get any bids what-so-ever....
Actually, the position in line was offered for $5,000 - not $500. :eek: If you look back at the thread
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2711 you'll also see that I don't think very highly of this type of profiteering. However, with the waiting lists at most dealers now stretching into the hundreds, I simply wanted to pass on the latest info - nothing more. It certainly would a caveat emptor situation if someone wanted to try it.

karmuze said:
...If some idiot wants to buy a position on an interest list, that's fine by me. If the seller doesn't have a signed buyer's order, then what of value is he selling? Some dealers won't allow a transfer of a buyer's order anyhow, especially if they are selling MSRP, in order to cut down on straw sales and speculative buying. Of course, the seller could buy the car and flip it immediately, but that adds cost and transfer of title complications.
But since there are no laws being violated in this instance, I have no problem with it. My prediction is the offer to sell will be met by only indifference. I don't think this subject is worthy of more than a cursory comment. Therefore I am signing off now. BYE.
You make some very good points - the whole concept is full of pitfalls. I would think it is unlikely that a dealership would entertain any monkey business with switching deposits. If the person on the list no longer wants a MINI, then he should bow out gracefully and let the next person in line move a little bit closer to owning a MINI. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
I have a better idea. Spare MINIs should be reserved as replacements for those owners rejecting faulty MINIs.

Nothing is worse than having waited months to get a car only to find it is a "lemon" and then be told you'll have to join the back of the queue again.

MINI must have learned something by now on this matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
I think it's a point worthy of discussion, there isn't much else new around the place at present.

When the first Subaru STi's were released in Australia there were many speculators who bought deposits and then sold them on at ridiculous profit's just prior to delivery, with malice a forethought you could say.

In my view there is nothing wrong with this practice. If someone is happy to pay a premium to get their MINI first, that's their problem. You may not agree with it, but how can you stop it.

Frankly I'd like to do the same myself. BMW/MINI today put a half page advert in the local paper inviting people publicly to ring to make an appointment for a test drive of the Cooper. BMW have had $1000AU of MY money since early November 01, and they advertise the offer of a drive BEFORE THEIR CURRENT DEPOSIT PAYING CUSTOMERS. I know some of the Oz guys and Gal's have had their drives, but I am sitting back patiently to see how BMW play their game. And i'm unimpressed so far.

:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
This is about the same as ticket scalping, which is illegal in most places. What you are seeing now is some people attempting to cash in on the MINI hype. I, and others, have long suspected that the early cars will cost more as dealers add "options" that are apart from the MSRP. There are always people willing to pay more to get something first. I'm high on an interest list, but I fully expected to be bumped in favor of someone willing to spend more. I plan to wait until the build problems are solved anyway, so it's no big deal. I have been to auctions where people get so caught up in the frenzy they will bid five dollars for a 25 cent screwdriver just to keep someone else from getting it. If some fool wants to buy a spot on a list, more power to him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
mr.bill said:
This is about the same as ticket scalping, which is illegal in most places. What you are seeing now is some people attempting to cash in on the MINI hype. I, and others, have long suspected that the early cars will cost more as dealers add "options" that are apart from the MSRP. There are always people willing to pay more to get something first. I'm high on an interest list, but I fully expected to be bumped in favor of someone willing to spend more. I plan to wait until the build problems are solved anyway, so it's no big deal. I have been to auctions where people get so caught up in the frenzy they will bid five dollars for a 25 cent screwdriver just to keep someone else from getting it. If some fool wants to buy a spot on a list, more power to him.
Ummm, mr.bill. I have already PAID $1000AU for a spot on the list. Have you paid a deposit for the car. I hope that deposit payers are in front of "interested parties" on any list anywhere.

Secondly when I placed my deposit I was told I was 3rd in line for an S. I am now #9 on the list. Although at first I was annoyed about this, it no longer bothers me too much. BMW dealers are privately owned here......so i'm sure bumping of the list goes on all the time. If there has ever been fewer true words spoken its "it's not what you know, but who you know".
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top