MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mini one (r50) won't start.
The car drove fine to a friends house where I satyed for a few hours but then when going back to the car the lights on the dash were on :s. I opened the drivers door manually as the central locking wasn't working either. I put the key in the ignition and tried to start the car but nothing happened. I called for a friend to give me a jump start but the only progress which was m,ade was the engine ticked over but did not start still!
Constantly though with the key in the ignition and turned or without it in the ignition at all the lights stayed on aswell as a noise coming from the engine as if a fan was still on, mainly sounding like the noise the power steering makes.
I have had all fuses checked and even the ignition barrel incase there was a fault in there making the car feel as though the ignition was still on but it was FINE.
I am baffled can any1 help???????

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Sounds like you flattened the battery. Remote locking and central locking take power but the key can open the lock mechanically. Did you try to jump start by pushing? Not recommended with modern engines. Jump start by using battery cables only. If your friends battery wouldn't start your Mini was your friends battery fully charged? If you are sure it was I don't know enough to help further.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeh also tried jumpin by rolling aswell. the other car used was a 58 plate bmw 3series so i presume that battery would have been strong enough.
it is really puzzling how it happened, fair enough if I left my lights on or whatever but everything was off and the car was locked :confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
turned out to be a fault in the power steering pump.
It was sending a live back to the ignition which caused it to stay on and flatten the battery.
how weird!

·
Registered
5 Posts
turned out to be a fault in the power steering pump.
It was sending a live back to the ignition which caused it to stay on and flatten the battery.
how weird!
weird maybe but apparantly not that unusual - the exact same thing happened to me on Monday - search for & read this thread before you fork out for the repair, it may save you a lot of money...

IMPORTANT. Have you had a power steering/pump failure? Please vote YES or NO!!!

(sorry, not enough posts under my belt to link :puzzled:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts