MINI Cooper Forum banner

Mini2.com Melbourne Chapter

941 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Baker 
#1 ·
Dear all,

As i'm new to the world of Mini's i'm keen to find out if there is a Melbourne / Victorian Mini Club. (I know there is a regular mini club for mainly the old mini)

I'm keen to get to know other local mini owners, as well as scheulde the odd event now and then to get us all out and about!...

If there is no such thing, i'd be interested in getting one started..........

Please let me know your thoughts...

Chris
Chilly Red '04 MCS..........

#3 ·
Welcome Chris !

There is an informal drive usually the first Sunday of the month.
PM Zakdoggi and if you're nice to him he might put you on the 'notification list'.

We usually have 15+ cars on these drives and most of them are good guys,
one or two misfits but we keep them on board.....

#4 ·
G'day Chris,

We are waiting to see what is happening with the Aussie-wide BMW approved club to start.

If that does not come about soon, I think that we will look at forming something ourselves...

Like KGB says we do an informal drive each month which is great fun! We normally meet at a relatively central location (for most:p) and drive to a special location for a breakfast and chat.

Last event saw 17 cars - 15 MCS' and 2 coopers - drive to Arthurs Seat and have breakfast at the top scenic lookout restaurant place (whatever it was called:p)

The weather was shyte, and we managed to get 17 cars, that is a positive sign for the future of our events when the weather fines up!!

Get onto Geoff's (Zakdoggi) list and I hope to meet you at the next run:cool:

Todd

#6 ·
Cool. Thanks.

Seems as though BMW / Mini need to pull their finger out! .,....given how long the New Mini has been around!

The next drive sounds good.

I'll try to track down the thread ....as well as try to book in the next one on the 5th....

BTW, is someone from the list dealing with BMW? or are we waiting for them to organise it internally?

Chris

#7 ·
Its a long story Chris, something I dont want to trouble you with, but things have been in motion for a number of months... hopefully there will be a resolution soon.

As you could image, BMW/Mini as an international company/brand want to protect their name and make sure it gets behind the right venture.

There isnt a thread on here about the next run, there is no discussion about where the runs are heading until after the run... all contact is via email if you contact Zakdoggi (Geoff) he will add you to the email list to keep you informed.

This is for a number of reasons, but mainly that we would prefer not drawing attention of the police to our runs. Most believe it's better to be overcautious than end up like some other Melbourne-based forum drives.

It is no secret to mini drivers and all are welcome!!
(Just simply contact Zakdoggi to get added to his list:))

Todd

#12 ·
How much does it cost to join the old club??

I love the old mini's!!

My issue is that I have ran into alot of the old mini set and they all snub me bad, even when I am waving... I'd prefer to be amongst a group of people where all were accepted for their love of the car, not with politics about whether I own a BMC or an Austin or a Leyland or heaven forbid a BMW!!

In saying that there are alot of friendly old mini owners, just that it is a shame that a small minority go out of their way to make it uncomfortable...

There doesnt seem to be any politics anymore amongst the Victorian owners, it is very friendly, we have a nice drive, look at each others mods, banter and have alovely breakfast.

I enjoy this... only wish it was more frequent:D

Todd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.