MINI Cooper Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
you'd have leg room in the audi and also a boot... we all know you like to pack yours out.. ;):p

if they were the same price I'd take the Audi 2ltr Diesel. maybe not as pretty but will out live the MINI by a long shot..
I've covered 85000 miles in a 2.0 TDI A3 over the past 3 and a bit years and it still feels like it's brand new. Nothing squeeks or rattles and I've just placed an order for a new one (although the waiting list is next January!). Alongside the company car I've run 3 R53 Coopers and recently had extended tests of an R56 S and D during that time and there's no way MINI can hope to compete with an A3 in terms of quality. Fun - yes, quality and space no.

I think the MINI is a fantastic car but competes in a very different market. You don't have strong feelings about an A3, it's just a very good car. The MINI gets under your skin, hence why I'm still drawn to them having had some not very good experiences with my R53s in the past.

·
total MINI . com
34,893 Posts
I've covered 85000 miles in a 2.0 TDI A3 over the past 3 and a bit years and it still feels like it's brand new. Nothing squeeks or rattles and I've just placed an order for a new one (although the waiting list is next January!). Alongside the company car I've run 3 R53 Coopers and recently had extended tests of an R56 S and D during that time and there's no way MINI can hope to compete with an A3 in terms of quality. Fun - yes, quality and space no.

I think the MINI is a fantastic car but competes in a very different market. You don't have strong feelings about an A3, it's just a very good car. The MINI gets under your skin, hence why I'm still drawn to them having had some not very good experiences with my R53s in the past.
I'm driving an A4 now and yes, great build, good quality, reliable etc etc etc - does it make me smile when i drive, no , a MINI does QED Here endeth the lesson :D

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Here's a little detail I overlooked.

While the high level brake light LEDs only cover a small amount of the rear spoiler, at night the sides also "glow" red/light up under breaking as they use a reflective strip that makes them illuminate, You can't see it really in the day, but at night it works well.

·
IJ 2009 - Team 81
3,223 Posts
Good honest, balanced review Paul. Thanks. Would be all too easy for an enthusiasts site like this to be very biased and not say a bad word about the car. Always thought the clubman would be a really good addition to the MINI catalogue. Looking forward to seeing one in the flesh now. One thing that surprises me is that the believe that the Clubman D will only get 35% of the sales. Thought this would be higher somehow, given the low tax bracket and running costs etc.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The biggest issue for me is price. With the essential Chili pack and metallic paint, you're looking at nearly £20K for an S anyway. For what you actually get, that to me is bonkers. I love my Mini's like the next man, but with that sort of budget brings a whole heap of cars into the equation. Personally, I'd take a 3 series diesel touring even a 318d for that sort of money considering the discounts from online brokers. Feel free to disagree, but I just can't see the point of a Mini with a BIT more space. You either buy a small Mini because you don't need the space but want the fun (which I have done, twice), or you buy something bigger with proper space and not quite as fun.

·
MINI2 Hyper Blue
45 Posts
more about the roof rails

Hey Paul,

Hope this thread is still alive!

Great review by the way - i can't wait to see one of these in the flesh,

A quick question though, did you ever find out any more about the 'roof rails'? At the mo i'm considering changing my mcs, I just can't bring myself to get holes chopped in the roof for a rack to hold the snowboard and skiing stuff... The vertical rear holder proposed by mini isn't something i'm fond of either. :(

So i've been looking around at different cars, but if mini made this beast with roof rails down the sides, which you could buy a little clip-on kit for, that would be something else....

Ben

·
Registered
4 Posts
At the VIP day at the factory someone asked the designer about roof rails, his answer was they were in development and will be a retro fit to all clubmans so don't think there will be any hole chopping.
The USA 2009 JCW announcement Bulletin (04/25/08) listed an option #386 'Roof Rails' - (not available before September 2008). No one in the US seems to know what that is. Does anyone know what that option is or what it looks like? Thanks ajm

41 - 54 of 54 Posts