MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The idea for a competitive karting night was raised during MiniTraining at Sandown
yesterday. Most in attendance would have loved the Motorkhana 'event' being timed,
competitive group of Mini2er's that we are....

Out of yesterdays lapery, brake dust and odur of burning clutches is borne the idea of the inaugural "MiniCup".

Perhaps a GP style race meeting at one of Melbournes better karting venues would help us with our competitive juices....we'll make sure Geoff Brabham isnt pacing the final....

Looking for feedback and a gauge of interest from potential competitiors.

At stake; 12 mothns bragging rights to whoever lands the silverware.

So far those interested;
KGB / Mark
MickyD/ Michael
Red&BlackS / Todd
zakdoggi / Geoff
eltel / Terry
StuJones
mini_bm / Bill
xminix / Chris
Baker /
 

· Boy who made the wolf cry
Joined
·
10,833 Posts
I was all over Geoff Brabham like a fat kid on a cup cake - He was braking really early into the corner, and I would ride right up behind him, So I moved off the racing line so I didnt hit the back of him (It was a $150,000 M3!!) - just wanted him to boot it a bit harder:D

I was all over Geoff too - he doesn't like having his morrors filled very much:eek:

Like discussed yesterday - I will have a chat to my mate who works at Pt Melb... to see what deal he can do for us.

Im in!!

*begins diet and general fitness training*

Todd
 

· Boy who made the wolf cry
Joined
·
10,833 Posts
Why's that?

Are you telling me I'm hyperactive?:D

OR is it just that I cant drink afterwards cause I have to drive home?

Todd
 

· SCOOPED for LIFE!!!
Joined
·
69 Posts
Red&blackS said:
I was all over Geoff Brabham like a fat kid on a cup cake - He was braking really early into the corner, and I would ride right up behind him, So I moved off the racing line so I didnt hit the back of him (It was a $150,000 M3!!) - just wanted him to boot it a bit harder:D

I was all over Geoff too - he doesn't like having his morrors filled very much:eek:

Like discussed yesterday - I will have a chat to my mate who works at Pt Melb... to see what deal he can do for us.

Im in!!

*begins diet and general fitness training*

Todd
Hey there Young Todd :cool: ,
I didn't mind you being stuck right up my clacker.....but when the Instructor (with the excellent first name! :D ) instructs us to keep a distance apart then I am pretty much going to do that. After all, he did say that he'd up the pace if we ALL did the right thing.
I remember I once had the keenness, exuberance and outright balls that you've got at your age, but alas, the grey hair has a calming effect on me these days.
Aside from that, I had a ball at Auskarts last night, setting the fastest lap time for the night at 29.8 secs ;) and ending up third in the final after a dodgey cart saw me circulating no quicker than 31 secs plus :mad: .

I'll be in for the kart night...no problems.

Cheers.....Geoff
 

· Un-Banned
Joined
·
2,142 Posts
Red&blackS said:
I was all over Geoff too - he doesn't like having his morrors filled very much:eek:

Todd
You dont know how true that is. or any of you who ever saw him race F1 would know there was never anyone in his mirrors........except for those lapping him :D :D :D

And before anyone says something.......yes hes a great driver but should never of been in F1! Helps to have the "Brabham" as the team name though! :eek: :eek: :D
 

· Boy who made the wolf cry
Joined
·
10,833 Posts
I was refering to Geoff (Zakdoggi), but Geoff Brabham didnt like me filling his mirrors either!!
( but all he had to do was slow down to end my fun:( )

Todd
 

· Track Addict
Joined
·
2,668 Posts
enzothemaddog said:
You dont know how true that is. or any of you who ever saw him race F1 would know there was never anyone in his mirrors........except for those lapping him :D :D :D

And before anyone says something.......yes hes a great driver but should never of been in F1! Helps to have the "Brabham" as the team name though! :eek: :eek: :D

Hi,

Whoaaa :eek:

I have a lot of respect for Geoff Brabham :cool: He is a better driver than any of us ever could be ;) I have done a lot of driver training, in various courses, drive days etc, including 5 days of BMW driver training. Geoff Brabham is by far the best driver out of any instructor I have seen. He is also the best communicator :D I personally never saw him race in F1, but I saw his two brothers. Out of interest, how many races did Geoff race, and for what team?? I knew he did lots of North American open wheelers as well as Le Mans etc, but I didn't realise he did F1.

If you wanted to get into an argument about who deserves to be in or out of F1 I could give you a very long list of past and current drivers who were much worse than any of the Brabhams ;)

There are currently many drivers trying to get a drive who are demonstrably better than many of the F1 jockeys currently in the game :( , but they cant get go :confused: That is part of the problem with F1, it is more about who has the power and the dollars, rather than about the best drivers :mad:

Cheers

Robbo
 

· Boy who made the wolf cry
Joined
·
10,833 Posts
I have alot of respect for all the driver training guys - Scott, the other guy with the NZ accent - very funny guy!!:D and Geoff - were all were very understanding and took their time to explain the pros and cons of our driving and the way to fix it.

They all told it how it was and very few things got by them:p (like me driving up to the braking area travelling much faster, then braking before to wash off speed before we had to brake to get to the right speed:D)

The reason why I was filling his mirrors was he was trying to stop me from thrashing the cars by slowing down!!
 

· Un-Banned
Joined
·
2,142 Posts
robbo mcs said:
Hi,

Whoaaa :eek:

I have a lot of respect for Geoff Brabham :cool: He is a better driver than any of us ever could be ;) I have done a lot of driver training, in various courses, drive days etc, including 5 days of BMW driver training. Geoff Brabham is by far the best driver out of any instructor I have seen. He is also the best communicator :D I personally never saw him race in F1, but I saw his two brothers. Out of interest, how many races did Geoff race, and for what team?? I knew he did lots of North American open wheelers as well as Le Mans etc, but I didn't realise he did F1.

If you wanted to get into an argument about who deserves to be in or out of F1 I could give you a very long list of past and current drivers who were much worse than any of the Brabhams ;)

There are currently many drivers trying to get a drive who are demonstrably better than many of the F1 jockeys currently in the game :( , but they cant get go :confused: That is part of the problem with F1, it is more about who has the power and the dollars, rather than about the best drivers :mad:

Cheers

Robbo
He raced for "Team Brabham" in the early to mid nineties. Jokes aside, you've gotta give credit to anyone who can get a super license.

I totally agree with u Robbo about driver positions. However, without these 'sponsored' drivers there would be a few teams (Minardi, Jordan, Sauber) who would not make it to the grid. These drivers may seem ridiculous, but for some teams they pay for their N1 driver, who has the talent to mix it with the biggys.
Without these sponsored drivers, there probably would'nt be F1 anymore.
A good example is the Jap driver "Matsushita". Although he finished about 1 race, he did keep, I think?, Sauber in the comp basically because his grandfather was Mr. Panasonic electrics.
:bad::bad::bad::bad:, Brabham would'nt of had a drive without his father backing the team either!
 

· my second passion, a tin!
Joined
·
750 Posts
enzothemaddog said:
He raced for "Team Brabham" in the early to mid nineties. Jokes aside, you've gotta give credit to anyone who can get a super license.

I totally agree with u Robbo about driver positions. However, without these 'sponsored' drivers there would be a few teams (Minardi, Jordan, Sauber) who would not make it to the grid. These drivers may seem ridiculous, but for some teams they pay for their N1 driver, who has the talent to mix it with the biggys.
Without these sponsored drivers, there probably would'nt be F1 anymore.
A good example is the Jap driver "Matsushita". Although he finished about 1 race, he did keep, I think?, Sauber in the comp basically because his grandfather was Mr. Panasonic electrics.
:bad::bad::bad::bad:, Brabham would'nt of had a drive without his father backing the team either!
Think you might be mistaken there enzo. From the F1 FAQ

"Two of the three Brabham brothers (Sir Jack's sons) made it to Formula One. The youngest son, David, spent two seasons in Formula One - 1991 at Brabham (which lead to some interesting results, like 11th Brabham Brabham) and 1994 at Simtek. Earlier in 1991, before David Brabham joined Brabham, middle son Gary Brabham drove for the Life Racing Engine team, who never qualified, or even looked like pre-qualifying for a Grand Prix. Gary Brabham left the team in disgust after two races. Oldest brother Geoff Brabham didn't make it to Formula One."
 

· Track addict
Joined
·
5,935 Posts
Sorry for a bit of Off topic, but its funny seeing all the Aussie/NZ threads active, guess its because I'm up real late and you lot are messing about in work on a FRIDAY.....

Have a great weekend all you guys and gals down under... :D
 

· You are number 6
Joined
·
5,180 Posts
Tony*t3 said:
Sorry for a bit of Off topic, but its funny seeing all the Aussie/NZ threads active, guess its because I'm up real late and you lot are messing about in work on a FRIDAY.....

Have a great weekend all you guys and gals down under... :D
We will Tony, thanks, especially as most of us have a three day weekend this weekend :D
 

· Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Eltel,

Thanks for your valliant (oh no there goes another off topic discussion) attempt to drag the thread back on to the (kart) track....

And yes, they do make them in your size.....

Might even be able to get a couple of OziCozi decals on the side pods...

Still looking for more 'contestants'...
 

· my second passion, a tin!
Joined
·
750 Posts
Im in Melbourne most weeks with work so if its a mid weeker I could be interested

Stu
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top