MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Minis at Dunsfold is back for 2018 - it's on Saturday 2nd June.

Link to Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/events/533507640321088/
Link to the website:
https://minisatdunsfold.co.uk/

It is organised for charity and is a chance to drive the Top Gear track. Great day out, a number of us went to the 2017 event.
All and any Minis are welcome.

Pic 1: Me coming into Gambon, struggling a bit as the brakes had said bye, bye.
Pic 2: The assembled Minis at the 2017 event.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really want to go to this!!!! Really hope I get a ticket :)
Get in there on Monday Jonny and you should be fine. Hope you can come. Be good to meet you and see your motor.

Maybe later those MINI2ers going could post pics of their cars, preferably with reg showing, on here in this thread so we can find, meet and greet each other?

·
Sour Mash
1,287 Posts
Will post a pic when I've cleaned my car have been meaning to do so since I joined the forum but my car is never clean lol

Edit : Scrap that if you see a "rally" car that's melol

·
Registered
66 Posts
This looks good, I’ll check if I can make it ::smile::

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What are the track laps like are they ok for someone who hasn't been on a track before?
A bit disconcerting Nigel saying his brakes had given up lol
No need to worry. It isn't a track day. No helmets required. You can pick your pace. Have a look at 'The Event' on the website:
https://minisatdunsfold.co.uk/the-event/

"The event is not a track day, there will be no timed laps, and cars will not be allowed out on track on their own – this on safety grounds as the Top Gear test track is a figure of eight.

On arrival, Minis will be put (actually you choose yourself which group you go in) into three groups according to speed and ability, and you’ll be led out with other cars in your group 10-15 cars at a time. You will have approximately 5 laps following a safety car, and then return to the paddock. Each Mini should have three or four track sessions during the day.

The speed of the laps varies by the group you are in. The slowest of the three groups is suitable for all Classic Minis, while the fastest will cater for even the latest John Cooper Works MINIs."

Regarding my brakes.
A) I did a couple of runs in the 'medium' group. Second time was behind one of those gigantic Countryman things. It was an SD. Surprisingly quick in a straight line but oh deary me, the corners!! "Hard aport on the helm". "Aye, aye Captain". So next run I changed to the fastest. And it was fast. And it did for my brakes.
B) turns out mine had pretty new Girling pads fitted that are made of Welsh Granite. They'd do about 200k miles before wearing out. And don't work. They were awful in terms of feel on the road. So on Steve The S Works advice, after Dunsfold, we put in a set of EBC Ultimax2 DP1388 pads in the front. They are 'just' EBC's OE ones, not green, red or anything else, only £25 a set and they are in another league.

No-one during hundreds of laps went off. And if you do it is only grass - as you must have seen watching Top Gear.

·
Sour Mash
1,287 Posts
Thanks Nigel

Think I'll go with the classics group to start with then move up if appropriate
Probably less embarrassing than doing it the other way round!!!

I can sympathise with your experience I was pretty shocked how close people followed each other at brands hatch even 2 entirely different cars a lotus Elise and a Renault hatchback doing 80 with less than 1m between them god knows how much the braking distances differ before you even factor in the drivers skill. Guess the 2 second rule doesn't apply on track lol lol lol

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Nigel

Think I'll go with the classics group to start with then move up if appropriate
Probably less embarrassing than doing it the other way round!!!

Guess the 2 second rule doesn't apply on track lol lol lol
They'd nearly sold the 100 car allocation yesterday.
Yup, start with the slower and get a feel. It is just nice to be on very wide tarmac with no-one coming the other way for a change!!

Correct, no 2 second ********. You just assume the guy in front has similar skill, ability, capabilty, braking - trust. Unfortunately can be misplaced trust, not always the case on track days. If you watch some of the UK Saloon Car Championship racing they are all packed about an inch apart. But then they all know what they are doing and similar capability cars.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
9 Participants
minicabrio
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing