MINI Cooper Forum banner

361 - 370 of 370 Posts

·
Privileged & Gifted
8,137 Posts
NoNo said:
Hey, that picture is my intellectual property. I charge $200 for royalties. Clearly you know where to send the check to.

Come to think of it, that is a nice picture. Can you send me the original file?
Okay but I left my camera in Cleveland. Want to go for a ride? :D

·
Toy Kahuna
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
Our First WISH has been granted!

ANGELICA goes to Disney,

An article form the Newport Daily News.

By Janine L. Weisman/Daily News staff

NEWPORT - Other 17-year-old girls are getting their driver's licenses, hanging out with their friends or playing sports after school.

Angelica Correira sucks her thumb and plays with dolls.

She is a little girl in a young woman's body, often confused by the world around her, a world inhabited by doctors who don't understand what's going on inside Angelica's head.

They say she has a "space-occupying lesion" deep inside her brain above the area that houses the pituitary gland, which secretes hormones that regulate many bodily processes, including growth, reproduction and metabolism.

In early October, Dr. John Duncan at Hasbro Children's Hospital in Providence operated on Angelica's head to reach the lesion, about the size of a ping-pong ball. Duncan was able to remove a small piece to perform a biopsy, which found no evidence of cancer cells.

"He can't take it out because she'll go completely blind," said Carol Manchester, 60, the grandmother who has raised Angelica since she was a baby.

The lesion is life-threatening. Angelica was hospitalized a total of 11 days in October. After six days in intensive care she was moved to a private room, where she burst into tears when a mirror revealed that her head had been partially shaved for the surgery. Her life is now a routine of doctor's visits.

Angelica gets headaches and loses concentration at times. She has to take medication because her brain can't produce hormones her body needs to function. She no longer goes to school, though a tutor visits her three times a week at the apartment in the Park Holm public housing development where she lives with her grandmother and 12-year-old brother Taylor.

"She doesn't want to go out because she put on weight. Teenaged boys always teased her around here," Manchester said.

There are many things Angelica has never done, many places she has never visited. Other than trips to Providence, the farthest she has ever been from Newport is Taunton, Mass., where her grandmother took her to a flea market several years ago. She never has been on an airplane. Neither has her grandmother.

But two weeks from now, the girl who has endured so much and lived so little will get to soar above the clouds and take in the view. She and her grandmother, her brother and her uncle Angelo Correira will depart Jan. 2 from T.F. Green Airport on a Southwest Airlines flight bound for Florida on a 7-day all- expenses-paid vacation made possible by the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Rhode Island.

The family will be joined by registered nurse Karen Isiko from Visiting Nurse Services of Newport and Bristol Counties.

Generosity lifts spirits

Angelica and her entourage will stay at Give Kids the World, a nonprofit resort in Kissimmee, Fla. They will receive passes to visit Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom, MGM Studios, Epcot and Animal Kingdom along with Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure, Sea World and water parks. They also will ride to and from the airport in a limousine. The total trip is valued at about $6,500.

A portion is being paid for by a donation from MINI's Making-A-Wish, a Westerly-based organization of MINI Cooper owners and enthusiasts who held a fund-raiser and toy drive on Dec. 4. Donations from other groups and individuals paid the balance, said Melissa Colton, program services coordinator for Make-A-Wish.

She said Angelica will be the first Rhode Island child to be granted a wish in 2005 by Make-A-Wish, which grants approximately 100 wishes a year.

"I couldn't believe it at first," said Manchester, who has to keep reminding Angelica, who suffers memory problems, about the upcoming trip. "They can't wait to get on (the plane)."

Blair Alexander of Middletown met Angelica 21/2 years ago in a Big Sisters after-school program at the Newport police station and put her in touch with Make-A-Wish. Alexander's friend, Sue Davies, is a volunteer for the organization. She interviewed Angelica, and her surgeon's office confirmed that her medical condition is life-threatening.

"I think it will be nice for them to get away," Alexander said. "I think it's been so hard, this whole ordeal."

Manchester said she tries not to think about the real possibility that she may outlive her granddaughter. There are other more immediate troubles, like the condition of her car, a 1993 Chevrolet Cavalier with 121,000 miles on it.

"My engine has water in it," Manchester said. "My front seat's broken right off now. I got a box in the back of the seat that holds it straight up. It takes forever to get heat and then it overheats so I can't chance it on the highway."

So she has borrowed the car of a neighbor who used to baby-sit Angelica and Taylor when there are medical appointments to keep in Providence.

There are others who have helped the family. In late October, Manchester received a $500 check from a memorial fund in honor of the late Mary Gomes, a waitress at the Brick Alley Pub who died of colon cancer in August 1994 at the age of 27. The fund raises money through an annual golf tournament organized by Brick Alley employees. This year's event at the Green Valley Country Club in Portsmouth drew 90 participants.

Gomes' mother, Mary Carlisle, hand-delivered the check to Manchester, who was Gomes' aunt. Manchester wept with surprise.

"I said to her, 'You know, we just want you to have this,'" Carlisle said. "She was just very shocked."

Then Manchester received a $1,000 gift from the family of Melissa Brum, a 29-year-old Bristol resident who has a brain tumor. Brum's brother Randy Earley gave Manchester an envelope containing the money during a fund-raiser held Nov. 5 at the Elks Lodge in Newport. About 600 people attended the event, which raised $26,000 for Brum's uncovered medical expenses.

Alexander met Brum's sister, Rebecca Francis, when she was setting up an account at People's Credit Union in Middletown for donations to help Angelica and her family with their living expenses. The new fund is called the Angelica Marie Correira Foundation. Francis, a member service representative at the credit union, said she and her family wanted to help.

"We knew her car was having problems," Francis said. "That's the last thing you want to have to worry about when you're in a situation like this."

Manchester used the gift from the Mary Gomes fund to buy clothes for Angelica, who had outgrown everything she had in her closet. She spent $230 on car repairs, but now said she will look for another car after the family returns from Florida.

Teachers at The Bradley School, where Angelica used to go until about a year ago, bought her an American Girl doll in September. She treasures the doll, an American Indian character.

"Her name is Kaya, and she's 81/2 years old. She goes on adventures," Angelica said.

Two weeks from Sunday, so will Angelica.

·
Toy Kahuna
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
Very Cool!

This also benefits MAW of RI. You can specify which state; MA or R.I..

I want one!

Thanks for the info Pez.

Pin

361 - 370 of 370 Posts