MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based upon a conversation with a representative from MINIUSA, I have found out a little more about the MINI Roadside Assistance Program (which is still being finalized and is separate from a similar BMW plan).

Because I am in Texas and 500 miles from the nearest MINI dealer, I specifically asked about program benefits regarding towing a disabled MINI.

Here's what I was told:

If your are on a trip more than 100 miles from home and your MINI breaks down, MINI Roadside Assistance will arrange for the car to be towed to the nearest dealer for repair no matter the distance. They are also working on details for providing trip interruption reimbursement up to a maximum amount to cover approved travel and lodging expenses. Plus, and I think this is significant, the repaired MINI will be delivered back to the owner to complete the trip. :)

If you are within 100 miles of your home and your MINI breaks down, MINI Roadside Assistance will arrange for it to be towed to the nearest dealer for repair no matter the distance. However, in this situation, and close to home, no travel or lodging expenses will be reimbursed and the owner must travel to the dealer to pickup the repaired car.

Overall, I think this is a very fair plan. Coverage will be very good for roadtrips (should I say 'motoring' use?). And, as for breakdowns near home and having to travel to pickup the car, that's a risk the owner takes when deciding to buy a MINI and knowing how distant the nearest dealer is.

Of course I need to add a disclaimer that you should check with your MINI dealer for full details on the MINI Roadside Assistance Program.

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
re: roadside assistance

Originally posted by BruceK
Here's what I was told:
If you are on a trip more than 100 miles from home and your MINI breaks down.....the repaired MINI will be delivered back to the owner to complete the trip.
:) :) :) :)

If you are within 100 miles of your home and your MINI breaks down.....the owner must travel to the dealer to pickup the repaired car.
:( :( :mad: :mad:

Thanks for the update. I would also like to know if the roadside assistance drivers can do minor repairs on the spot, that would MINImize the delay for the owner and the cost for MINI USA. For example M/B has its own R.A. estates that carry belts, tire repair kits, ECUs. While I wouldn't expect M/B level assistance as a MINI owner, I would hope that they would contract with tow companies with drivers with some repair experience. I know that's a lot to ask for.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: re: roadside assistance

karmuze said:
....Thanks for the update. I would also like to know if the roadside assistance drivers can do minor repairs on the spot, that would MINImize the delay for the owner and the cost for MINI USA. For example M/B has its own R.A. estates that carry belts, tire repair kits, ECUs. While I wouldn't expect M/B level assistance as a MINI owner, I would hope that they would contract with tow companies with drivers with some repair experience. I know that's a lot to ask for.
I was told they are still selecting a vendor but are considering the AAA. It doesn't sound like they will specialize in MINI assistance in the Mercedes Benz roving technician manner (but how could they and still provide nationwide coverage?).

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone had to use MINI Roadside Assistance yet?

·
4,984 Posts
BruceK said:
If you are within 100 miles of your home and your MINI breaks down, MINI Roadside Assistance will arrange for it to be towed to the nearest dealer for repair no matter the distance. However, in this situation, and close to home, no travel or lodging expenses will be reimbursed and the owner must travel to the dealer to pickup the repaired car.
Hey Bruce, doesn't this sound like it could be a problem for a Texan? I mean if your car breaks down on your way to work and they tow it to the nearest dealer won't you end up having to go 500 miles or more to pick it up at your own expense?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: MINIUSA gives new details on Roadside Assistance Program

Sejanus said:
Hey Bruce, doesn't this sound like it could be a problem for a Texan? I mean if your car breaks down on your way to work and they tow it to the nearest dealer won't you end up having to go 500 miles or more to pick it up at your own expense?
Well... yes. :mad:

Let's see if there's a work-around here. Hmmmm... I've got AAA Plus membership which is good for exactly 100 miles of covered towing. :) You can finish the scenario from here. Not that I'd do that you understand - just playing with ideas at this point (which I don't think would work anyway as I think MINI Roadside Assistance is actually underwritten by the AAA).

·
4,984 Posts
Given the relatively few dealerships scattered around the country (or not, if you live in Texas) the plan really needs to be geared more to how far you are from a dealer when you break down rather than how far you are from home. I wonder what they do in Hawaii if you don't live on Oahu? Ship the car to Honolulu? Airlift a crack team of mechanics to Maui? It seems to me that MINI is going to have to authorize mechanics to work on these cars outside of the MINI dealerships or this will become unmanageable for both the company and the clients.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts