MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
going or coming?
1,215 Posts
As you say, updated partially, mabey is is partially on its way to being updatd to 170 BHP. I know I'm of no use, but I've got 4 days until I pick up the DS MCS, and my attention span is very short at the moment.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Either emissions or bhp measurement standards. All the horspower numbers slightly differ over the atlantic. An M3 for example comes here with 343 bhp unlike the 333 in the US.

Klaus

·
Mr 120d Sport
4,610 Posts
It could be that the 170 is in fact 170PS.......this would give 168BHP......as a Pferdestarke (PS)is slightly bigger than a BHP

·
SOOTY!
161 Posts
I always thought BHP was Brake Horse Power measured at the driving wheels and not at the flywheel? (Perhaps this is something I have had screwed up for a long time).

M

·
Mr 120d Sport
4,610 Posts
No it isn't.......and yes you have! :D :D :D :D

Power = Torque x Speed.

It makes no difference whether it is measured at the crank / flywheel or the wheels.

The only thing you gain by measuring at the crank is it negates the losses through the transmission.

Robert

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
wobert123 said:
It could be that the 170 is in fact 170PS.......this would give 168BHP......as a Pferdestarke (PS)is slightly bigger than a BHP
MINI QUOTE 170BHP. So dunno where these sites are gettting these figures. I knoe the foucs st170, is 170 ps, cos ford say its 168bhp, tho everyone thinks its 170bhp. but mini acutally say the mcs is 170bhp on there website.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The August Car and Driver has a review of the Convertable. In the article it states that one of the changes to the S for 2005 is the HP to 168. So maybe the 170 was an overstate, and it is actually 168? Dunno. Maybe just a USA thing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The US emission equipment robs a bit of horsepower. I believe BMW openly admits such, at least in the case of BMWs. 2 horsepower isn't all that bad I guess.

·
I will crush you
555 Posts
KatanaPilot said:
The US emission equipment robs a bit of horsepower. I believe BMW openly admits such, at least in the case of BMWs. 2 horsepower isn't all that bad I guess.
yeah, but when they are starting with 163 bhp we need all we can get ;)

·
Kaptain Krutaroo
390 Posts
Yeah.. I just picked up my 2005 last Friday - my owners manual says 168 hp - nothing a 19 percent reduction pulley can't fix!

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
As pointed out by several others in this thread, the difference may be attributable to how horsepower is expressed in different countries.

Metric horsepower is used in many European countries:
  • PS = Pferdestärke (German)
  • pk = paardekracht (Dutch)
  • ch = chevaux (French)
1 metric horsepower equates to 0.98632 horsepower (as refered to in the US).

170 metric horsepower equates to 167.6744 horsepower.

Units of power are sometimes expressed in terms of kilowatts (kW):

1 kilowatt equates to 1.341022 horsepower

The 2004 MINI Cooper S is rated at 120 kilowatts which equates to 160.9227 horsepower or 163.1546 metric horsepower.

·
"Big Munch"
90 Posts
kcollins said:
Yeah.. I just picked up my 2005 last Friday - my owners manual says 168 hp - nothing a 19 percent reduction pulley can't fix!

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT ... ANY PULLEY PARTIES AROUND SOON ? :cool:

Phil
:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
15 Participants
RED RAGE
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing