MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a mini cooper 2007 manual 92k, Quite a bad misfire on start up, then gets better after about ten seconds. There is no engine light on and no fault codes present, Checked spark plugs with multimeter and according to that they are OK. When I pulled out the ignition coils looks like someone has bought 3 of them from a breakers yards because they had Peugeot/mini 1.6 turbo written on the side of them, I'm wondering if they are the right ones because mine is the non turbo version and the ignition coils says they are for a turbo. It doesn't sound like a diesel on start up but there is a slight rattle to the right of the cylinder head, taken cam cover off, can't seem to see any springs snapped and you can push the valve up and down. Timing chain doesn't seem loose and looks new but no proof, live feed seems to tell me that the temperature sensor is OK and goes up. Cat temp is only 14°c and doesn't move (engine running for about 10 mins). I'm not a professional mechanic just a diyer and any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
they will run on both types of coils, most likely leaking valve seats exhaust side very common, need to smoke test each cylinder with exhaust manifold off and inlet and all 4 valves closed at same time ,, ie send smoke in to spark plug holes under air pressure see what leaks out the posts, below like give a good idea how they go and why they go
more recent one i'm in middle of that had worst case ie valve seat broken up and destroyed the piston and head surfaces

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for getting back to me. I've orderd a compression tester which should be here tomorrow. I'll try that first

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me. I've orderd a compression tester which should be here tomorrow. I'll try that first
if leaking valve seats or cracked valve prob wont see it on compression test hence why pull manifolds and fill cylinder with smoke or air

1 - 5 of 5 Posts