MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughters mini (2011 R56 cooper) has been reading -40 outside air temperature, we are not sure when it started, it might have been there since she bought it.

Anyway she got a replacement and brought it round to me so I could help her. Got the bumber off but where the sensor should be at the base of the bumper there was nothing, and no wires that we could plug the new one into either.

We spent a while looking all over to find where it could possibly be but drew a blank. Online there are a replacement looms available and I assume that if we buy one of those we should be able to reconnect it and fix the problem. But where to connect it?

I assume it is part of the loom that also has the twin horn feed, sidelight and a/c compressor but there doesn't seem to be any cut wires or anywhere to reconnect it. The only thing I can see is the box that all the brown wires go into but checking the part number online it is something to do with the fan.

Also noticed that the inner wheel arch protector seems to be badly ripped, wondering if something has happened that might have ripped the sensor and wiring out.

Did some cars not have a the ambient sensor? Seems odd that it would have an indicator for something that is not fitted.

Has anyone got a picture of their ambient sensor and can show where the loom for it feeds back to?

Thanks for any help.

Couple of photos of the area where I think the sensor loom should connect to

Attachments

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
drivers side where horn wiring is and where bumper lights lights wiring is 2 pin plug the n there is a short bit of wiring to the temp sensor this has a grey connector on it,, as you have plastic damage i would guess its been hit at some point and badly repaired ,, maybe someone has cut the wiring away for it to cover it up , some of how the car runs is based on ambient temp sensor info, its all part of horn wiring and lights wiring part as such,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that kind of confirms what I thought. Just trying to figure out where the wires should be and hopefully I can repair it for her.

I assume that where the wiring tails for the 2 horns and the sidelight all come together is where the tail for the sensor should be.

If someone could take a picture of this area on their car it would be really useful for me to see where the wire joins the loom. I'm quite capable of soldering in some new wires if I can find the ends of the wires to join them too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I think I will have to do something like that. Found a video on youtube for replacing the horns and I can see the connector in there but can't quite see where it joins the loom. The video is form a US car and the horn arrangement is different and they have an indicator in the wheel arch trim so it might be a bit different. Certainly the way the horns were mounted on our car is different but then again if it has had a knock that might be another issue. Will need to take it apart again I think and look again.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
going by your pictures your horns have been mounted somewhere else because of front impact ie snapped the plastic fitting off the front panel , pull the wheel off and the plastics and trace the wiring back find the missing wires, if you had asked me 2 weeks a go i had one apart with front of could posted pics but now its all back on the road again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts