MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MINI2 Regular
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 MCS (USA version) seems to be missing the "onboard tool kit," but the dealer says there is no such thing for an MCS.

On page 120 of the 2005 manual there is a topic regarding the:
Tire change set and onboard tools for Run Flat tires
and goes on to describe the 2 toolkits: the "tire change set" (attached to luggage compartment floor) and the "onboard tool kit" that is supposed to be behind left side panel door. In my car there is nothing behind that door, and behind the right door is the H/K stereo amp.

Questions:
1) Is my dealer full of crap when they say there is no onboard took kit for an MCS?
2) What is supposed to be in the onboard tool kit, other than the towing eyelet?

Thanks in advance,
- parkerea

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes its the same in the UK. We have a 2005 MCS and the "toolkit" consists of a screwdriver, a spanner, an Allen key and a ring with a hook on it (not sure what that's for)
It is all housed in a small polystyrene pack just behind the battery

·
Registered
171 Posts
Same here. I changed out the wheels with locking lugs, so I keep the lug key back there too. I keep a can of tire foam goo in the empty left side panel door, since I no longer have runcraps.

·
MINI2 Regular
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
steebo777 said:
Quick answer, as I went through the same thing. Look at your battery in the boot, and there will be a styrofoam kit there closest to the back. Just pull it up and there it is. In the toolkit there is a phillips screw driver, towing hook, allen wrench and something else that isn't popping up in my head right now. Cheers!
Bless you. Yep, needless to say, it is there, so I let my dealer know also. (I really should not have been quite so hard on them in the question -- it ain't their fault the manual is wrong.) I think "ring thingie" is to remove the hubcap -- you poke it through the holes in the hubcap and the hubcap pulls right off without gouging up the edge.

Thanks,
parkerea

·
Girl Next Door...
1,191 Posts
There is a 'toolkit' in the left hand rear compartment of some MINI's (mine included). It depends if you car is supplied with Runflats or not. The kit consists of a MINI compressor and a can of tyre goo.

Then there is the styrefoam one next to the battery as well (as well as the jack lashed to the left hand corner).

·
MINI Geek
515 Posts
Grings said:
There is a 'toolkit' in the left hand rear compartment of some MINI's (mine included). It depends if you car is supplied with Runflats or not. The kit consists of a MINI compressor and a can of tyre goo.

Then there is the styrefoam one next to the battery as well (as well as the jack lashed to the left hand corner).
Never knew that. You learn something new everyday :)

·
going or coming?
1,215 Posts
Hmm,
I had a packet with the tow hook and screwdriver and the like in the left rear compartment, and a strapped down jack on the floor of the boot - and runflats. I've got to go look near the battery compartment to see if anything is there.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
The kit isn't near the battery compartment, its actually in the battery compartment, right next to the battery usually.

Of course if you have it in the left rear compartment, then there's likely nothing in with the battery.

Oh, and the screwdriver isn't actually only phillips. The blade pulls out of the handle and flips around, so its also a slotted one.

And finally, there's also a normal wrench (aka spanner) which I think is like 8 and 10 mm, but I can't remember the exact sizes, maybe 10 and 12mm.

·
Happily Motoring
105 Posts
parkerea said:
Bless you. Yep, needless to say, it is there, so I let my dealer know also. (I really should not have been quite so hard on them in the question -- it ain't their fault the manual is wrong.) I think "ring thingie" is to remove the hubcap -- you poke it through the holes in the hubcap and the hubcap pulls right off without gouging up the edge.

Thanks,
parkerea
hubcaps??? I doubt you have hubcaps... you might want to check that one ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.