MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
JcwMiniAdventures
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a strange topic but i am travelling to somerset & normally fill my MCS with standard BP petrol but where i am going there isn't a BP station near by so my question is a follows

Can i fill up/mix differnt octane petrols so have remainder of Bp (whats left in my tank) & fill up with Tesco super unleaded till i get back to home to fill up with Bp or do i have to use standard Tesco fuel which i dont normally touch with a barge poll as this is the only local petrol station near by.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers Guys & girls :)

·
ECMC Addict
801 Posts
as long as you use the premium fuel you should be fine, the MCS seems to run better on the more refined fuels from BP/SHell v power etc . at the end of the day yoiu need to get home tho. Certainly wouldnt use tesco standard fuel in it

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Mini have very cleverly designed your car to run on any unleaded petrol available at Fuel stations located across the country!! :aargh: :wink: :tongue:

Tesco's, Asda, Morrison's standard unleaded will do just fine and the car will run fine. If you want that extra couple of % of extra power that you'll only really notice when REALLY pushing hard then Super Unleaded is great.

I've seen enough debate regarding BP vrs Shell vrs Tesco Super on Impreza forums (where the cars are typically running 280bhp+) to conclude that personal opinion dictates which is the best.

I use 'normal' unleaded in my Cooper S and it runs absolutely fine and no-one has noticed any difference from their car running Super. :aargh::biggrin:

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
Mini have very cleverly designed your car to run on any unleaded petrol available at Fuel stations located across the country!! :aargh: :wink: :tongue:

Tesco's, Asda, Morrison's standard unleaded will do just fine and the car will run fine. If you want that extra couple of % of extra power that you'll only really notice when REALLY pushing hard then Super Unleaded is great.

I've seen enough debate regarding BP vrs Shell vrs Tesco Super on Impreza forums (where the cars are typically running 280bhp+) to conclude that personal opinion dictates which is the best.

I use 'normal' unleaded in my Cooper S and it runs absolutely fine and no-one has noticed any difference from their car running Super. :aargh::biggrin:
I use V Power and find it gives around a 50-60 hp gain on my stock MCS. 0-60mph is now around 5.5 seconds!! :D:D:D:D if only

·
JcwMiniAdventures
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys -i think i will lump the extra & pay for the Super - its only going to be one fill up hopefully

I am not happy using the standard version

Thanks for the advice - just thought i would double check just in case as dont want to damage my pride & joy

Right on to the next problem -

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i definately notice quite a large difference between standard petrol and premium/ v power etc, it just feels rough on standard petrol. back on topic your mini can run on almost any petrol you can find in england, the engines made to run on the dirty stuff they get in eastern europe and the carribean so unless you have some sort of remap dont worry about it

·
Registered
398 Posts
just out of interest, why are people so against supermarket 95 ron petrol compared to BP 95 ron petrol, there can't be much difference surely??

·
Registered
988 Posts
I don't understand either - I've read a number of times that some of the big name petrol and supermarket petrol come from the same tanks anyway. Obviously not all, but a couple. Most obvious one would be BP and Sainsbury's, but not 100%.

I tend to use Sainsbury's super unleaded, and never had issues - also allows me to collect Nectar points.

·
Always on Overboost
2,524 Posts
Tend to fill up with either V-Power, 97 Ron Tesco or 99 Ron Tesco depending where I am so i usually have a mixture in the tank.

Don't fill up with 95 Supermarket at all

Filled up with Tesco 97 yesterday which was the same price as their 95 Ron for some reason?? - both cheap ;)

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
just out of interest, why are people so against supermarket 95 ron petrol compared to BP 95 ron petrol, there can't be much difference surely??
Same refinery, different mix of additives;)

If it was all the same then more than it would have been obvious the other year when Tesco fuel got contaminated:)

·
Registered
274 Posts
The irrational views against supermarket fuel expressed by some posters always amazes me - fact Sainsburys normal unleaded is the same as BP normal unleaded. BP have the contract to supply all Sainsbury's fuel.
Tesco are supplied by Greenenergy (Tesco own 25% of Greenergy) and their Super 99 is widely regarded as one of the best fuels available in the UK.
Asda is supplied by Harvest Energy and Morrisons also seems to be supplied by Harvest Energy.

Supermarket fuels contain additives and cleaning detergents just like the major oil companies products do.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Same refinery, different mix of additives;)

If it was all the same then more than it would have been obvious the other year when Tesco fuel got contaminated:)
Sorry but your post is typical of the sort of unresearched views that colours people's perception of supermarket fuel and leads to the irrational views discussed in my post above.

The contamination of fuel which affected mostly the South East was traced back to the Vopak terminal at Thurrock and in particular to the specific storage tanks used by Harvest Energy which had allowed traces of silicone to enter normal unleaded petrol supplied to Tesco, Asda and Morrisons in the South East. In particular Tesco Super 99 was never affected as it is subject to a different production process.
The problem was nothing to do with the actual fuel but was caused by inadequate cleaning of the storage tanks and could just as well have happened to any fuel company.

Holding up the major fuel companies as suppliers of perfect fuel when compared to the supermarkets fits in well with the major fuel companies marketting strategy but ignores several major fuel quality problems created by the majors. e.g. Shell caused big problems with car fuel gauges and injection systems when they originally developed their forerunner to Optimax/V Power called Formula Shell.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
I know someone in the oil industry, and I've been told that the fuel is exactly the same regardless of where you get it from now - it used to be different but is now the same so use the cheapest stuff you can find.

·
JcwMiniAdventures
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well arrived at my destination & have done really well on my tank of Bp i have done 180miles & only just over half a tank used so pretty good. Haven't really done a big journey so wasn't really sure on my MPG apart from when i went to the last mini tour

My mums automatic focus on the other hand was just over 3/4 full to 1/4 full on the same journey with a bigger tank so mini wins again

As its has done so well i prob wont fill up with the tesco until just before i leave for my same trip back so will be interesting to see how much of a differnce - will post my findings

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
I've seen a couple of studies of the various grades of Super Unleaded. Seems that Tesco 99 comes out on top for power, just ahead of V-Power 99, with BP 97 a little way behind.

What difference you'll actually see in practice will depend on what car you drive. I think these tests were with a BMW M3 - with a Mini One or Cooper you'll be hard pushed to notice the difference to be honest. With an MCS the engine is tuned enough that it is worth spending the extra on Super.

You can tell the engine runs smoother on higher octanes in the S, and you'll also get slightly better mpg (perhaps 1 or 2mpg) - although whether this compensates for the extra price you pay at the pump is debatable :)

·
Crakle and pop!!
438 Posts
Dont know anything about supermarket vs big oil company fuels, but i do know that my standard s runs like a bag of spanners on 95 octane , has a slightly rough idle and slightly "choppy" acceleration. I have also noticed that i get 40 miles per tank more out of tesco 99 than i do v power!

·
Registered
25 Posts
When it comes to petrol, I am a big fan of the Tesco 99 stuff. Makes excellent power if your ignition advances enough to use it and costs a lot less than the only comparable alternative (V Power).

Under the net supply system, local refineries provide fuel for virtually all stations, however there are different additive packs and some fuels come from different supply lines. For example, V Power is only made at one refinery (Stanlow), Tesco 99 is unique from Greenergy (?). I wonder if this is why these two stand out as being better than all the others on the dyno when run in engines that can use the extra octane?

Chris

·
Registered
107 Posts
seems to keep coming up this otane rating thing!!

just to let you know my uncle has a porsche caymen s in the states and their 'gas' stations provide regular unleaded at 85 octane up to about 93 for super. he has no trouble with his!

james

·
Registered
25 Posts
seems to keep coming up this otane rating thing!!

just to let you know my uncle has a porsche caymen s in the states and their 'gas' stations provide regular unleaded at 85 octane up to about 93 for super. he has no trouble with his!

james
Remember theirs is Motor Octane Number, so not dierctly comparable to our Research Octane Rating. Their 93 MON is about the same or a bit better than our 99 RON from what I can figure out.

Chris

1 - 20 of 26 Posts