MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
HE'S HEEERRRE!
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any ideas/thoughts about the effect adding mods (such as chrome accents exterior/interior) and the resale value of the car? are there things that increase the value? or decrease?

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
reydo said:
anyone have any ideas/thoughts about the effect adding mods (such as chrome accents exterior/interior) and the resale value of the car? are there things that increase the value? or decrease?
I believe things that are fitted by the dealer can increase the value of the car.. e.g the Aero kit and obvously the Works Kit. Bit alot of the little things dont really matter like chrome things.

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
modding cars is one of the most efficent ways of throwing away money....

You'll perhaps get some money back if you stick with official goods (like the Works kit), but anything from anywhere else, is unlikely to show a positive value, more likely to harm the value of the car.

Don't let that put you off creating something original though...

·
Registered
238 Posts
yea i just think of it this way...would you want to buy a car that's completely personalized to someone else's taste? the more you do, and the more original you make it for yourself, the less chances there are for someone to come along and want exactly the same thing...but if you do happen to find someone interested in everything you've done, would they like the fact that it's already done for them? i personally would like to do everything myself to my car...otherwise it might feel like you're driving someone elses dream.

but again like Tony*t3 said, dont let that discourage you from doing anything to your Mini. :p

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Have to agree with Tony, unless you find a buyer that is looking for something unique, its money down the drain, but then again a great individual Mini is v v nice and alot of the mods done to Mini's esp here on mini2 are very well done and do actually make most of the cars look good - sound good - go good etc etc etc

Some Mini dealerships dont even like Mini's with non - runflat tyres, but guess it depends on ho far you take the Mods, anyone tried part-exiing a BBR, GGR or Hartge MINI??

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
even options loose money, mods to a dealer are worth nothing

As Tony said it is a good way to throw away money, but you can't put a price on happiness and mod'in my car the way i want it, makes me very happy:)

·
Mr Buttons!
837 Posts
Well the trick with that is the type of buyer you are selling to. Small modifications will do notihing to the price, bt if your car is modified through and through, from the engine to the exterior, you would want to sell to specialized buyers, people that are looking for modified cars and are willing to pay more for the extra performance. For example, my friend just sold his E 36 M3 race car(street legal). He had stripped out the interior, installed a full roll cage, installed racing wheels, new steering wheel, racing seats, performance intake, DINAN stage 3 suspension, DINAN performance exhaust plus some other modifications. I know that he sold his M3 for at least $10000 more than the price at which he bought it. Of course, the modifications probably costed more than that, but the point is that it did not harm the resale value of the car.

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
um..... did I miss something or is the mini supposed to be an individual car and thats what BMW are selling?? Every mini is different, lots of options and everyon pick what they want when they buy one. In my experience when you mod a mini often people really like the way it looks, dont know about resale value but if its what you want you'd pay more for it. I do think alot of people wouldnt be happy to buy a mini that has been too modded though. Id have to say id only buy a mini that has been BMW modded. If a car come up thats had the cylinder head done, 19%pulley, and induction kit. I'd look at say well....no new intercooler or new cat.... so id think its had a damn hard life and most likely not a good idea to buy. Just my opinion anyway.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Whenever you modify a car, you reduce the resale value, mainly because you reduce the number of buyers that will consider it. If I see a car with performance mods, like a pulley or something, I immediately think that the car was abused. That may not be true, but I would never buy a car driven by a "hot rodder" and expect it to last as long as stock. Some buyers will turn on a car and see what stattions are pre-set on the radio. Any Hip Hop or Hard Rock = no sale. Thats how picky buyers can be.

Modding a car is like painting your house. If you really like Purple, and paint the house Purple, you have to undertand that it limits the people who will want to live in it. I had a friend who was tall, and had a wife that was tall. They decided when they built their house to put in counters that were higher than normal by a few inches. Besides the fact that they had to give their kids water from the sink until they were 14, they had to rip it all out when it was time to sell the house. Mods are never an investment - always a zero sum expense.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
There's two different things here:

1) Cosmetic Mods

2) Performance Mods.

If you do something simple, like add some chromed parts, change the wheels, or maybe add a dealer acessory, like the Parcel shelf in the US, it fits into cosmetic mods. In these cases, unless its something drastic (like painting the car purple) you probably won't reduce the value of the car, especially since these are popular things. You will however, not recover the money you spend on the mod when it comes to resale time, and depending on the mod, it may not be worth anything.

On the other hand, performance mods will either:

Decrease the value of the car (as people have suggested, because a buyer is afraid of you having beat up the car, or simply isn't interested in the same performance things that you want) or

Just be a waste of money to the next owner. Anyone who goes all out and race preps their car, will spend way, way, way more money on the modifications then they will be worth to the next owner. Even something as mainstream as a JCW kit will probably not retain its full value to the next owner, because its used, (like the rest of the car that has depreciated) or because the owner wants to customize the car himself. The modified M3 fits into that category, and I know other people who have had similar experience.

The key in either category is if you get the value you want out of the modifications. If you don't do anything extreme (install Neon for instance, or put on a turbo on an 02-04 MC that will probably fry the transmission) you won't destroy value, and so if say, the new set of wheels you spend $2000 on are really worth $1500 to you, because the next owner will only pay $500 extra for them, even in perfrect condition, then go for it.

In any event, 'investing' in mods is a bad idea, at least in the short term. Maybe in 20 years a JCW kit will be worth more then it costs now, but I don't think you're wondering about the car as a collectable.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Depends who ya trying to sell it to. As has been said, to mod any car is an individual thing, and a person who is interested in a modded car will obviously know his/her stuff, therefore will be more keen in wanting to do the project themselves rather than buy someone elses work.

However, IMO, cars lose money anyway, so you might as well have a bit of fun with it in the time you have it :D

I suppose, as with most makes of car, for re-sale, MINI branded mods (eg, aero kit) will add a very small bit of value (but no where near the money you'll have orginally paid for it in the first place).

At the end of the day, mileage, age and condition are what makes the value of the car.

Veronica ;)

.........just on the phone ordering the zeemax kit ;) :p

·
MINI2 Regular
438 Posts
I've spoken to the dealer about this.

Their view seems to be as long as it's done properly, you won't loose anything by adding mods.
But you won't gain anything either.

Just do to the car what will give you the most enjoyment. Not what will make the best investment.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Desert Storm said:

Their view seems to be as long as it's done properly, you won't loose anything by adding mods.

Just do to the car what will give you the most enjoyment. Not what will make the best investment.
You won't lose anything! Spoken like someone who wants to sell you a mod!

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Desert Storm said:

You won't get your money back on the mods.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.