MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, you would know better, (more experianced). I Have a 2003 Mini cooper s JCW 200hp.
I instaled recently a 17% pulley, GP intercooler, JCW injectors and had my CAT cut out to a straight pipe. Car is pulling lovely at times, but not sure if everything works well together. Would i have to change the mapping and put a performance intake system (Have not yet done this). I want to make the best gains and worried if it is running too lean.
Can anyone give me expert advise?
Thank you

·
dyno-mite, might not....
1,037 Posts
you should be fine on the road, do you track it at all? what octane is your gas?

·
Registered
133 Posts
You will not be running too lean with that set up, you also have added bigger injectors so....
A CAI would be a good idea, the JCW is a quality system
You might want to get your ECU a newer JCW flash or a GP flash if you can

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, really appreciated. :)

Hi MINI-Morgan, i took the cat out due to its age and slightly blocked. Was it a good idea to make it a straight pipe in place of the cat or should i of emptied the inserts of the cat and leave the box?

Hi Alski, i want to start with track events soon, i run 95 unleaded gas?

Hi D-MAN do you know where i can get the GP or upgraded JCW software?
I know someone with a GT1 and SSS system.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for the info, really appreciated. :)

Hi MINI-Morgan, i took the cat out due to its age and slightly blocked. Was it a good idea to make it a straight pipe in place of the cat or should i of emptied the inserts of the cat and leave the box?

Hi Alski, i want to start with track events soon, i run 95 unleaded gas?

Hi D-MAN do you know where i can get the GP or upgraded JCW software?
I know someone with a GT1 and SSS system.
Get a quality header with a high flow cat - in my opinion a better option than the straight pipe.

Your local Mini dealer should be able to flash the ECU.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
below 6000 rpm you will be ok ,above this limit the engine reaches its flow limits(with your current set up )and boost creeps up -this in turn raises the temperatures-
Intercoolers struggle with this heat excess and are a band aid repair -they do work but struggle
extra fuel is not the true answer but used .it works but again has its own problems
adding a manifold will help release extra flow and provide better temps ,less boost creep and add a dollop more torque . a 4-2-1 is the way to go as the torque increase is far more than the 4-1 and slap in the area you need it .
better still add a higher flowing cylinder head for allround benefits torque/bhp/cooler running
If racing -limit your rpm max with your current set up to be safe
A

·
Registered
201 Posts
Jcw.

Hi,

As you are running a 17% pulley I would definitely improve the intake system.
The main difference between the JCW 200BHP and the 210 is the intake, So on your system
a larger gain may be available.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for all the help, really appreciate it.

chrisflyer: With regards to the intake. Do you mean the intake manifold/cyclinder head or the air filter system, wich one needs to be improved?

MINIMANIA UK: Is the JCW head not effeciant enough? what would you reconmend me improving on that head?

Thank you :)

·
Supercharger Noiseaholic
186 Posts
Thanks guys for all the help, really appreciate it.

chrisflyer: With regards to the intake. Do you mean the intake manifold/cyclinder head or the air filter system, wich one needs to be improved?

MINIMANIA UK: Is the JCW head not effeciant enough? what would you reconmend me improving on that head?

Thank you :)

There's nothing inherently wrong with the JCW head, if you want to really jump lightyears ahead, get a Revolution Mini Works (RMW) head, they are producing some strong HP gains right now.

If you want to see more power, go for 440cc injectors and a custom remap.

My MINI running, 17% pulley, Janspeed Manifold, Janspeed Cat-back, Alta V2 intake, GRS Intercooler, 440CC injectors, Christune map;), NGK colder spark plugs, GTT intercooler boots.

Produced 231 BHP and 185ft-lbs (IIRC i don't have my graph to hand)

If you want to make more, a 1320 cam and a RMW head are the way to go

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
The head is defiantly the way to go as I made nearly 225bhp and 200lbft of with just 17% pulley, RMW Head and 380cc injectors(same as JCW) on the same day as above. My HP is lacking due to seriously bad fueling problems :( Where as above the torque was maintained at higher rpms due to the correct fueling, intercooler and manifold so giving better HP output.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts