MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Track addict
Joined
·
5,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm more than a little amused at how many people here on Mini2 talking about performance modifications on their cars and how this is better than that etc, but when it comes to a good fun Mini only track day, its always the same small crowd that seems to turn up? :confused:

How many people on M2 have modified Coopers/S's? A good proportion now I guess. Why do these people never turn up at performance releated events, such as the Lohen/Bruntingthorpe track day, or the Croft track day? (here:) :confused:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74885&onlybyuserid=0&page=1&pp=15

How many people talk about performance mods, but are too 'scared' to take them to a friendly track outing? What is it thats putting people off? People seem happy to brag about 'traffic light' races, whipping clios/CTR's/Gti's/etc etc on public roads, why are they too shy to actually participate in some good clean fun at a track (both the legal, ethical, and safest place to drive fast).

Are these people 'All talk'? Do they not have the 'cohones'? Are they all trousers, no substance? All mouth, no action? Do they not have the bottle? what do you think they are scared of? losing? (its not a race so you can't lose...) Do they really have to have the most power, to make up for some other short comings, without actually ever using it? :eek:

Come join the Mini only track day beginners day out at Bruntingthorpe..... if your 'man' (or woman) enough ;)











Please note, tounge is lodged firmly in cheek currently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,876 Posts
Tony,
I believe that you have successfully thrown down the gauntlet. Nobody can say they didn't understand.

WELL DONE !!!!!!!! :D
 

·
my ponies have escaped!!!
Joined
·
4,958 Posts
Will be at Brunty with Wibbers :D

sitting on the fence with our cooper s keys in our pockets :D

I think there is a big difference in accelerating from traffic lights to taking your car on a track

personally i dont want my car ragged or indeed hurt by spinning off

dont think its a case of no bottle more like preference

:D
 

·
Official Pimp of Mini2
Joined
·
4,001 Posts
scooby212 said:
Will be at Brunty with Wibbers :D

sitting on the fence with our cooper s keys in our pockets :D

I think there is a big difference in accelerating from traffic lights to taking your car on a track

personally i dont want my car ragged or indeed hurt by spinning off

dont think its a case of no bottle more like preference

:D
Indeed, I dont want to hurt my beloved mini on the track when on my insurance form it states in big black letters "Insurance is void if / when used on a track" or something along them lines. Im happy to watch thou :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,522 Posts
I don't have a modified Mini but used to go to the occasional track day when I could get
insurance. I've seen Ferrari's disappear (literary) in smoke and various other cars being
written off. Now insurance seems impossible I only go to organised events where I drive
someone else's car. I do agree that people should do less of the "I burnt a Scooby/etc
off" as it all smacks of the good old days of 70's Hot Car when people would write in with
"I put a sports air filter on my Fiesta and burnt off a Porsche" errr yeah right :rolleyes:
 

·
...where´s the any-key?
Joined
·
23,182 Posts
SteveM3 said:
I don't have a modified Mini but used to go to the occasional track day when I could get
insurance. I've seen Ferrari's disappear (literary) in smoke and various other cars being
written off. Now insurance seems impossible I only go to organised events where I drive
someone else's car. I do agree that people should do less of the "I burnt a Scooby/etc
off" as it all smacks of the good old days of 70's Hot Car when people would write in with
"I put a sports air filter on my Fiesta and burnt off a Porsche" errr yeah right :rolleyes:
That's the main reason I don't go. I can't risk writing my car off and it doubles the cost of the day to get insured.:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
864 Posts
Tony well done for throwing down the gauntlett, you are so right all the talk of the JCW S, BBR, GGR WEST TUNING and etc. conversions and noone can be prepared to take the cars out to play.

I wonder what would people say if i invited them hillclimbing at Harewood or any other location???? To narrow scary and ......................... i gotta get up that hill HOW fast??? :D

Hm honestly less talk more action.... :D Its the only way you see the difference your mods make especially when you see the lap time drop, and your driving becomes so mush better
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,466 Posts
scooby212 said:
Will be at Brunty with Wibbers :D

sitting on the fence with our cooper s keys in our pockets :D

I think there is a big difference in accelerating from traffic lights to taking your car on a track

personally i dont want my car ragged or indeed hurt by spinning off

dont think its a case of no bottle more like preference

:D
I agree with Scooby to most degrees..... I love my car to bits, and would want to do no harm to her in terms of serious ragging her on a track for a whole day......

I have the Works car, cos its the best Mini can offer to me(awaits Max's flaming) :rolleyes:
and I dont want to take any chances wrecking it :eek: :p
 

·
6X therapist
Joined
·
13,907 Posts
Lohen said:
Tony well done for throwing down the gauntlett, you are so right all the talk of the JCW S, BBR, GGR WEST TUNING and etc. conversions and noone can be prepared to take the cars out to play.

I wonder what would people say if i invited them hillclimbing at Harewood or any other location???? To narrow scary and ......................... i gotta get up that hill HOW fast??? :D

Hm honestly less talk more action.... :D Its the only way you see the difference your mods make especially when you see the lap time drop, and your driving becomes so mush better
Now you are talking, Hill Climb Prescott :D :cool: , the Lunch stop on the Cotswolds run this year, thats a test of driving skill and the car too, none of this pootling around in circles at speeds of... er well more than the legal limit:rolleyes: ,but not actually doing laptimes or racing. Nothing against track days , but autotests, sprints or hill climbs have a bit more spice. Would anyone be interested in a Autotest if I arranged one here at the Oxford Plant ?

.
 

·
Mr 120d Sport
Joined
·
4,610 Posts
Max said:
Scooby=Subaru ;)

I'll be there Tony, as will Dora. Insurance is not an issue, as its not timed nor racing :D

Max ;) :red:
Max,

You keep on making "blanket" statements like this...........timed or not, racing or not, the majority of UK insurers will not cover you.........QED.

The old saying "if you can't afford to mend it, then you can't afford to bend it" rings true.

Like Mo says, getting insurance doubles the cost of the day out........I don't know about anyone else, but I can't justify c£400 on a "day out".......and even if I could, I'd get hung, drawn & quartered for doing so............:D :D :D :D
 

·
Track addict
Joined
·
5,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Please don't let this thread decend into a discusion on insurance, or about those attending/spectating etc - thats a known and covered in the tarck day thread.

This threads sole purpose was to get the silent majority on board - those who haven't considered bringing their car to Bruntingthorpe.... its not a swipe at those that have already considered it, but those that haven't.

Theres loads of people in the UK with performance Minis, would love to see some of them at the track. Those peope forever talking up:

BBR
GRS
GTtuning
AMD
Hartge
West

etc etc etc - come on boys AND girls, come out to play.
 

·
Mr 120d Sport
Joined
·
4,610 Posts
Tony*t3 said:
Please don't let this thread decend into a discusion on insurance, or about those attending/spectating etc - thats a known and covered in the tarck day thread.

This threads sole purpose was to get the silent majority on board - those who haven't considered bringing their car to Bruntingthorpe.... its not a swipe at those that have already considered it, but those that haven't.

Theres loads of people in the UK with performance Minis, would love to see some of them at the track. Those peope forever talking up:

BBR
GRS
GTtuning
AMD
Hartge
West

etc etc etc - come on boys AND girls, come out to play.
Er....maybe I've missed something here.......

You want to know why people don't want to "prove" their modified car's performance at a track day.......yes/no?

Quite a few of those who have responded, have cited not wishing the "thrash their car around a track" or "not wishing to take the risk of potentially losing their car, as they would be uninsured"........surely those two responses gives you your answer?

To solve the second reason will cost money, which on top of the cost of the day, puts it out of the reach of most people I would guess?

For me (and I can only speak for my self financially) £400 = a week somwhere sunny!
 

·
Track addict
Joined
·
5,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wobert123 said:
Er....maybe I've missed something here.......

You want to know why people don't want to "prove" their modified car's performance at a track day.......yes/no?

Quite a few of those who have responded, have cited not wishing the "thrash their car around a track" or "not wishing to take the risk of potentially losing their car, as they would be uninsured"........surely those two responses gives you your answer?

To solve the second reason will cost money, which on top of the cost of the day, puts it out of the reach of most people I would guess?

For me (and I can only speak for my self financially) £400 = a week somwhere sunny!

Nope, you've missed nothing. not trying to get anyone to proove anything. And yes I respect anyones view that taking a car to the track to give it a thrashing may well not be in the best interests of their car, from mechanical/warranty/insurance etc etc point of view.

Simply trying to get some interest raised in this event from those that have not currently considered it.

Track days seem to be viewed as currently by some as the hang out for 'boy racers' who don't care about their cars and wish to be confronted with disaster. Nothing could be further from the truth - at a well run track day you can explorer the performance of both yourself and your car within a controlled, safe environment. There is plenty you can learn on a track that you learn on a road just before disaster strikes. For instance, what it feels like when the back end goes light just before a spin. Experience it on a track, and theres little or nothing to hit, plenty of space get it all wrong, and you might learn how to deal with it. experience it on a road, and it might already be too late to prevent disaster. This is just an example, not trying to actually justify a great day out on this basis.

There are lots of people on this site (and I'm not talking about anyone specific, or anyone thats already contributed to this thread) that talk about their exploits on the road - hard driving, speeding, racing, competeing against other road users. They usually do it with caveats such as 'on a private road' or other such BS. Perhaps these people should come and learn how to do it in a safe environment, and maybe they'ed become better, more responsible drivers?

And yes in some respects, it would be nice for some of the guys that bang on about the performance of their cars to turn up and show us exactly how good they are - especially those that continuously whinge about the JCW being rubbish and the warranty not being worth the cost - or are they jsut saying that? There would be NO competition, but if they think its too risky in terms of engine conversion, perhaps they secretly knew all allong that they were talking rubbish re JCW cost?

Interesting that John Cooper Garages were very interested about how my car performed on track, and never questioned possible impact on warranty - even to the extent that they managed to fit in a warranty repair on the day before a track event, in full knowledge that the car needed the work because it was going to the track the next day.

Track days will:
Shorten the lifespan of your pads/possibly disks
Have an effect on the wear of your tyres
Possibly have some long term effects on your engine wear
Possibly cause accident damage
Possibly let you learn more about your own skills
Possibly let you understand your car better
Almost certainly make you a better driver
Almost certainly give you one or two scares
Almost definatly put a bloody big smile on your face
Almost definalty leave you wanting more
Probably make you a safer road driver
Definatly cost you some money


And lastly, probably make you have to deal with Max droning on about how great a GGR conversion is on track and so much better value than any other conversion, and how great a driver he is etc etc etc . But he's going to go on whether people turn up or not!! :eek:


lets keep it friendly.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top