MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst watching the excellent (if not a might too short) coverage on Ch 4, I couldn't help thinking that it would be good to see BMW do a full assault on the WRC in the new MINI Cooper S. Having seen that pic in AutoExpress a while back, I think it will be blinding to watch, any body else have any thoughts on this. Seeing a new Red and White S climbing the 'col du turini' would be awesome.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if it does, watch the sales climb, but then again the french may disqualify it on a technicality if it should win!

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
On Saturdays WRC programme they had Paddy Hopkirk, and showed footage of him on the Monte. It is incredible
that such a small and humble car won ! He did add that the mini and the new MINI have fantastic handling....
The MINI would be great to see rallying, even in the 1600cc category ala MG.
To compete with teams such as Subaru and Ford who are long established in rallying would be a brave step, but in the 1600s things are a little more 'down to earth'.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when I wrote 'French may disqualify it on a technicality if it should win!' just to explain what I was saying, back in 66(?)on the Monte, the mini's came 1st, 2nd and 4th I think, the french were convinced they were cheating, but couldn't prove anything, even after stripping the winner down, and investigating everything and anything, but after all that, they decided the headlights were of an illegal variety and disqaulified them all, on this technical infringement. So a Citroen was promoted the winner.
They also said that the BMC Mini's were unlike the std cars they had to be based on, so a well known motoring mag took a std showroom car from the local French dealer, and timed it up a hill (one of the Monte stages) then did a back to back with the works one, and the showroom one was quicker!
They were very impressive in their day (and still are at club events) if you want to see Paddy H doing his bit, try looking for the video of him taking part in one of the Classic Marathons that were run in the 90's, He did it in a 65 'S' and one, it is superb to watch him at work.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Re: Monte Carlo

This time round the Citroen got disqualifed from first place for an illegal tyre change! Bet they get it back on appeal though.

The other 2 members of the Citroen team didn't even make the start due to engine problems.

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Is Sebastian Loeb related to Lisa Loeb of 'I miss you fame' ? He is a pretty nifty driver ! Well done Colin, shame about RB, is it me or is he a bit of a librarian ?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Im backing Colin McRae but he wouldnt be there if it wasnt for his Co-driver:)
Ohh wait a minute Nicky Grist is also WELSH :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had similar thoughts the other night, while watching Speedvision, about the New MINI's capacity to compete. I wonder if MINI has any plans to compete in BTCC? I can definitely see them competing next year along side the Ford Focus's and the Peugeot's with ease. As far as WRC goes, bring it on! However, I can't see a full-on assault of the Subaru, Ford Focus teams in the near future. I'm backing Carlos Sainz, I think he will take the title this year. :cool:

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I can just see it now........ a red/white MINI Cooper S with huge white 5 spoke OZ alloys, roll cage, & 4 fog lights driving in the snowy mountains around Monte Carlo :D :D :D :D

Dont know what BMW will say about the warranty :D :D :D

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
I can just imagine the pace notes.....'right 30, right 30 ! right not left !!! you're going left all the time !'
Thud !

·
Registered
261 Posts
smartbomb said:
I can just imagine the pace notes.....'right 30, right 30 ! right not left !!! you're going left all the time !'
Thud !
Bwaaahahahahaaa! :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'd really like to see a Super 1600 version of the MINI. I think it is too short for WRC and there is not a 2 litre anyway.

I'm Backing Tommi Makinen for the Championship.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I dont think the 106 GTI, Saxo or Punto would be any competion :D :D :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts