MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And you thought only MINI has problems, see what happens to the flagship of BMW, the new 7 series.

BMW probes new 7-Series limo

Bavarian motor vehicle manufacturer BMW appears to have some reliability problems with its new flagship 7-series limousine following a series of defects which affected cars on loan to German car magazines.

According to auto motor und sport magazine, which tried out the car, along with its sister publication sport auto, the big car's battery is prone to discharging without warning. The fault not only makes it sometimes impossible to start the car, but interferes with the release of the electronic parking brake.

Other gremlins include engine misfires, poor acceleration when the engine is cold and sudden drops in performance accompanied by a warning light in the rev counter binnacle which reads "increased emissions!"

Test chief Otto Hofmayer experienced doors which would not lock and a defective radio and Distance Control System. Hofmayer said two 735i models he tested broke down within 24 hours of each other. In the case of a 7451 cold weather prevented the driver's door from closing. Motoring editor Werner Schruf solved the high tech problem with a low budget solution - he used a piece or cord to keep the door shut. BMW is looking into the problems.
And it gets worse, according to a Dutch newspaper, the engine stopped while in a traffic jam on the highway and because the battery was dead, the electronic handbrake went on. (how is that possible, I thought the battery was dead...). The car would not start anymore. What if this happened when driving 200 km/h on the German Autobahn...

All I can say is: BMW get your act together !!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
the new 7

Problem with a product like this is, that it is using the latest technology which is incredibly advanced, it's bound to have problems like these in the early stages of it's production life, I think it is TOO advanced at present.
This is probably why it's a good reason not to buy one of the first off the lines, but wait until the majority of the problems have been sorted out.
BMW are going down a completely different avenue with this car, one that if it's succesfull, the likes of Mercedes, Lexus etc are bound to follow.

I doubt if the handbrake scenario would happen at speed, but it's scary to think what may happen, more gizmo's tend to mean more trouble.

·
MINI2 Sponsor & Moderator
181 Posts
I agree with AER. The new 7 Series is literally the most advanced road car ever built. They use the iDrive system, electronic valve actuation (a la Formula 1) and tons of other electronic wizardry. Along with forging new ground, comes the rewards and headaches of being the first to learn.
It's a very nice machine. Hope they sort it out soon. F

or that matter, lets hope they sort out the little niggles with the MINI soon too. I really don't think any of the MINI issues are very big but, you don't want to kill a cars reputation by leaving them unresolved.

-Mike

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The handbrake scenario only works if the car is no longer in motion, like on the middle of a couple of traintracks... and then with a flat battery, you can't open the door, while the train approaches... :eek:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yurinaut said:
or that matter, lets hope they sort out the little niggles with the MINI soon too. I really don't think any of the MINI issues are very big but, you don't want to kill a cars reputation by leaving them unresolved.

-Mike
:confused: Sorry Mike, but not very big???
Have you've been reading the faults and fixes forum lately, while shopping your car windows open, central locking unlocks your car.... if that would happen to me in the middle of Amsterdam, I'm sure my car will be gone by the time I come back... I would say this is very very serious, since you then need to prove to your insurance company that you actually did lock the car... :rolleyes:

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Re: the new 7

AER said:
Problem with a product like this is, that it is using the latest technology which is incredibly advanced, it's bound to have problems like these in the early stages of it's production life, I think it is TOO advanced at present.
This is probably why it's a good reason not to buy one of the first off the lines, but wait until the majority of the problems have been sorted out.
BMW are going down a completely different avenue with this car, one that if it's succesfull, the likes of Mercedes, Lexus etc are bound to follow.

I doubt if the handbrake scenario would happen at speed, but it's scary to think what may happen, more gizmo's tend to mean more trouble.
..erm..are you the secret love child of Mr.Bill by any chance?..;);)

·
Registered
105 Posts
:( Nope, unless he was also our milkman!!! only joking mum.
And for the record I can't stand the look of the new 7 either.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Locked, unlocked and insurance

Mutts said:
... I would say this is very very serious, since you then need to prove to your insurance company that you actually did lock the car...
I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of this fault but the insurance question isn't quite that bad. If your car is stolen, neither you nor your insurer would be absolutely certain that it was locked at the time. It would be up to the insurer to prove that you didn't lock it and that's going to be difficult unless you leave the keys in it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sonny Boy! :p You know what they say: "Mama's baby, papa's maybe..."

Seriously, it just illustrates what can happen when things are made too complicated. There are Minis running around that are 40 years old. Granted, they need maintenance, but they still run. Do you think the modern cars with all the computerized crap on them will last that long?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Locked, unlocked and insurance

ricardo said:

I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of this fault but the insurance question isn't quite that bad. If your car is stolen, neither you nor your insurer would be absolutely certain that it was locked at the time. It would be up to the insurer to prove that you didn't lock it and that's going to be difficult unless you leave the keys in it.
Ricardo,

true, but what if the car isn't stolen, but all that was in there, like radio, cd-player, cd's, sunglasses, etc. is...

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
mr.bill said:
Sonny Boy! :p You know what they say: "Mama's baby, papa's maybe..."

Seriously, it just illustrates what can happen when things are made too complicated. There are Minis running around that are 40 years old. Granted, they need maintenance, but they still run. Do you think the modern cars with all the computerized crap on them will last that long?
To be honest, nope...but love it or hate it we live in a very throw away society these days (I don't mean that to sound patronising by the way, just stating a fact of life)..;)

As long as my MINI runs until my finance/TLC lasts, I'll be a happy bunny. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts