MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Hypedem
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if there was a cheapish way of getting the exhaust to pop more and the supercharge to whiiiiiiiiine more :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sometimes I wish mine popped and whined less...

The GTT exhaust bypass pipe isn't expensive and is the culprit for my excessive popping. If you want it to whine then you probably need to mess with the airbox. Again I have the GTT CAI,, but I also have a smaller pulley (GTT) that works the supercharger harder that will add to the effect.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It will pop more if you fill it up with vpower ... only problem is that petrol at the moment seems to be the most expensive mod you can do to a car!

·
:: 32mpg woo! ::
1,023 Posts
I've fitted a GTT CAI to mine too, I bought mine second hand so it wasn't that expensive either..

I love the fact that under normal driving my car sounds stock, yet as soon as you give it some it screams like mad!! The whine is loud enough to 'hear me coming' and turn heads.... :D:D

I'm in the process of sorting out some YouTube vids. The only mod my car has at the moment is the induction kit, so hopefully they should be good reference for what difference the induction kit makes on its own.

·
Registered
248 Posts
will a new K&N panel filter do anything worthwhile?
I fitted a K&N pannel fitler to mine without any other modifications and did not notice any difference in sound. I only noticed a difference when I fitted my Miltek cat back. Now it sounds ace when you give it the beans and it pops nicely on overrun. I quite fancy a GTT induction kit but can't afford it, or the insurence for it, at the moment.
From what I've read and seen on Youtube, the GTT reroute pipe certainly sounds like your best option for more exhaust pops and sound for the least money. For more supercharger sound then I think you will have to consider an Induction kit of some kind.

Let us know what you come up with.

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Milltek exhaust!!! Mine pops like a *****!!! Bloody lovely!

Just a shame I have broken my collar bone and havent been able to drive my MCS for 2 weeks!! BOOHOO

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ive had both a gtt reroute pipe and milltek exhaust on mine and id say the gtt pipe made more pops and louder pops, so if thats your main objective get a gtt reroute pipe (plus its a fair few quid cheaper than a full replacement exhaust).

·
Noob
247 Posts
I've fitted a GTT CAI to mine too, I bought mine second hand so it wasn't that expensive either..

I love the fact that under normal driving my car sounds stock, yet as soon as you give it some it screams like mad!! The whine is loud enough to 'hear me coming' and turn heads.... :D:D

I'm in the process of sorting out some YouTube vids. The only mod my car has at the moment is the induction kit, so hopefully they should be good reference for what difference the induction kit makes on its own.
I'm looking for a nice induction kit for the R53. Any suggestions, or will they all be better than the current stock filter regardless?

·
1,023 Posts
I'm looking for a nice induction kit for the R53. Any suggestions, or will they all be better than the current stock filter regardless?
I only have experience of my GTT CAI, but here is what I know.....

Some of the induction kits if not shielded correctly will draw more warm air into the engine and could potentially lead to a loss in power - albiet not disastrous. The more expensive, properly shielded ones, are where some performance gains can be had. Although with them being more shielded, the sound may not be as loud.

But I'm no technician - so I'm only guesstimating most of that - so don't hold me to it :p

The only reason that I went for my induction kit is that I believe it is quite a loud one:D:p I wasn't fussed about the performance implications or improvements, I just wanted a whacking loud supercharger soundtrack:D

In my opinion the best induction kit is the Alta kit... link here. I think it is the best balance between cost, sound, and performance.. :D It is the induction kit that I would choose out of all of the ones available - I got my GTT kit mainly because I picked it up on the cheap second hand - and because its colour matches my seats:eek::p

Ultimately I think it depends where your preferences lie with an induction kit. Whether it be sound or performance gain. A big decider though will be the cost of the different kits, as prices vary. I would say though, that any induction kit is an improvement over the stock filter, but then again.... I'm an induction kit addict:p

Take a look at this page for an idea as to some of the different types of induction kit available.... from the expensive to the cheaper kits... and the Alta which imo is the best balance :)

Hopefully that helps!

Edit:

Here is a really short video of my car atm, totally stock apart from the GTT CAI...

I want to get some better videos sorted soon though, as to me, the best place to be is outside when my car screams past!!:D

·
Registered
158 Posts
By my reckoning that Alta costs exactly the same as the GTT, but it also looks cheap in comparison. Why do you think it's the best?

·
1,023 Posts
By my reckoning that Alta costs exactly the same as the GTT, but it also looks cheap in comparison. Why do you think it's the best?
It's just what I've heard:p Don't get me wrong, I love the GTT but I was always led to believe the Alta was the best...:confused:

I thought it was better for performance gains etc.. whilst still regaining a nice soundtrack.. I could be totally incorrect, believing far too much marketing blurb whilst not realising that the induction kit I've got is better than I thought!:eek::p

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
sure I've read a thread somewhere (maybe NAM) indicating the Alta suffered more from heat soak than the standard airbox, patially why I went with the JCW (an a very good price)

·
Registered
754 Posts
jcw box without the flap adds to the whine :D

mine never seems to pop much though :(
Mark yours is a full JCW conversion isn't it?

I have 210bhp Works with airbox that pops like crazy on the run down. I also run it only on V power, which is meant to add to the poppyness:D

·
Registered
158 Posts
It looks to me like the Alta has less filter surface area than the GTT one which is not a good thing for flow rates, and it sits in a different location in the engine bay where i suspect it is more difficult to get cold air (the GTT is intended to duct through to the scuttle area beneath what are usually called the "pollen vents" on here). Ppossibly they experience different heat soak characteristics, but I have no idea which location would suffer more or less.

I have a personal dislike of foam filter elements as I think they look cheap, but that's based purely on looks / gut feel. Also personally I couldn't care less about the noise, I want the filter that gives the best performance, so if a foam filter is noisier (I suspect it might be) but flows less than a K&N type (I suspect again it might be as the surfacwe area of the foam one has to be less than a K&N type of the same overall size) then I'd take the K&N type every time.

Last thing as an aside; I watched the YouTube vid embedded above and there is an incredible difference in performance between stock and tuned if that was flat out. I guess I'd forgotten what the car was like standard as I only had it like that for a few days.

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
Works motorsport airbox or Works airbox with the flap removed and a ITG filter. Amazing increase in induction, whine and popping which now sounds like a bang. ;) :D

I've got the above with a miltek and the Mini sounds superb. On a rolling road it came out at 181bhp with 1613 ft lb torque. They reckoned the Cars where down by 4-5bhp due to not being able to get the supercharged cars cooled down. :D

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Works motorsport airbox or Works airbox with the flap removed
Whats the difference between the works and the motorsport works airbox? That the flap is removed? Is there anything else different between them??

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
Whats the difference between the works and the motorsport works airbox? That the flap is removed? Is there anything else different between them??

There is a flap which opens around 4-4.5k RPM to let more air in. The motorpsort one doesn't have a flap and to cover the hole where the mechanism goes JCW use an alloy plate. I just covered the hole Duck tape. Plus I wasn't too keen on tracking the wires and wiring in the flap up to the fuse box so i took it out and I don't regret it.;):D

It took me an 1 1/2hrs to fit I would say with the wiring it could take around 4-5hrs.

From MiniChallenge (ex- JohnCooperGarages) I think the motorsport airbox is around £230 but you might be able to pick up a standard works airbox for £150 on ebay or on here. Then an ITG filter is around £45 delivered from Verricho Engineering on here. ITG FILTER IS A MUST:D;)

If I take it easy I find I'm getting far better fuel economy with my mods than the stock car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts