MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read this on the net:

Gatsos To Get Smarter

The ultimate speed camera is on its way. Auto Express has learned that a futuristic unit which can monitor up to six lanes of traffic at once is under development in Europe. What's more, its digital technology can be used to catch speeding bikers for the first time.

It's the creation of Dutch company Gatsometer, maker of the original Gatso camera. The system mirrors the Specs units seen on UK roads, using number plate recognition to work out a vehicle's speed between two points.

However, the new invention has two major advantages over Specs. Firstly, it can spot speeders even if they change lanes, and secondly, the gantry-based cameras are rear-facing, so they can detect motorcycles. That means bosses are making a bold claim for their invention - a 100 per cent detection rate.

A spokesman for Serco, the UK importer of Gatsometer, said the new device is set to undergo testing for Home Office approval, and could arrive by 2006. "The camera would be ideal for enforcing limits on the new widened sections of the M25, as well as on large multi-lane roads, such as the A406 North Circular in London," he claimed.

The system works by taking a digital picture of a vehicle as it enters the timed zone. The number plate is read and stored on a computer, which then starts a timer running. Further along the stretch of road is a second bank of cameras, which reads the registration on exit.

If a vehicle is picked up by the second cameras within the preset time for the distance, both images are stored, the exact speed is calculated and a penalty charge issued. As with current Gatsos, it is believed there will be a margin of error above the speed limit.

Meanwhile, Gatsometer is also said to be developing a spy camera to enforce one-way systems. It can spot if a vehicle is travelling in the wrong direction and again uses plate reading technology to automatically issue a ticket. Mat Watson
False number plate sales will go through the roof!! :eek:

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
oh yeah thats them new black ones. I just braught a new road angel! I knew it would be out of date quickly, grr

·
Mulberry Red Mini 40
1,048 Posts
Had to happen sooner or later, this bit is questionable though "large multi-lane roads, such as the A406 North Circular ". So which bit of the north circular can you currently speed on?

·
MINI2 Sex God & etc......
1,106 Posts
Weather you have got the Roadpilot or the new road angel they will be able to detect these cameras. It is a simple software update and nothing more. Unless Captain Pickard of the starship enterprise helps the goverment!!

·
Official Pimp of Mini2
4,001 Posts
UKC4 said:
Weather you have got the Roadpilot or the new road angel they will be able to detect these cameras. It is a simple software update and nothing more. Unless Captain Pickard of the starship enterprise helps the goverment!!
Aye just shove it in the USB holder press the download button and there ya go updated all there new cameras and there locations :D

·
Registered
716 Posts
But here's a question for you folks - I thought digital photograps were not submissable as evidence in a court of law! So how can they prosecute you!?

Gits all the same though! MAy as well invent a printer for the dashboard of all cars etc to instantly print out your penalty notice and save the postage!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Magistrates courts seem to accept digital photos as its a summary only trial...crown court are more strict with evidence within law.

Anyway....just buy a Road Angel. I got mine the other week, and it works really well! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
The trouble with speed cameras is that they catch you if:
a. You are new to the area and don't know where to look, eg on my stretch of the A40 (near Burford) they had one behind a large road sign! It has been moved slightly now, perhaps because it was demolished in the night at least twice.
b. You're temporarily distracted, eg avoiding other road hazards. eg on avoiding an over-zealous bus driver, I realized that I was doing 45 in a 40-limit area (no ticket, mind you - phew).

Seems to me that it's mostly a tax on non-locals (ie point a above).
Anyway, I will have less to worry about as I've just ordered a Road Pilot from Mike the Mini...

·
Hangin at the Krusty Krab
844 Posts
Why don't they hang some policemen above the M-way - then they can catch drink drivers, drugged drivers, unsafe drivers, tailgaters, mobile phone users as well as speeders.

·
Happy Happy Joy Joy
130 Posts
Surely if average speed is calculated between 2 (or more) points, the usefulness of detectors is going to be reduced, as it will no longer just be a point of slowing down at each camera and then just speeding up again?

·
Happy Happy Joy Joy
130 Posts
LeeH said:
Now, where did I put my black shirt.... :eek:

:)
So what's your solution then? Or is driving at whatever speed you deem suitable as socially acceptable as drink driving was a generation or so ago?

·
iPod. Do you?
736 Posts
I'm no copper and cameras irritate me as much as the next person. However, why is that if you speed, it's deemed to be an acceptable way of breaking the law. "I was only doing 35mph in a 30 limit... blah blah, **** off and nick some real criminals". You broke the law so what's the point, precisely?

The answer is that modern cars often allow for higher speeds to be achieved more safely, and in some cases, a review of the limits might be in order - or the way they are enforced, such as investing in traffic systems that respond to the time of day (rush hour, school run time, etc).

If you disagree with the law, it doesn't mean you can simply ignore it. This is ignorance and arrogance of the highest order, and I, for one, am neither amused nor impressed.

Pete

·
Happy Happy Joy Joy
130 Posts
TT_Convert said:
I'm no copper and cameras irritate me as much as the next person. However, why is that if you speed, it's deemed to be an acceptable way of breaking the law. "I was only doing 35mph in a 30 limit... blah blah, **** off and nick some real criminals". You broke the law so what's the point, precisely?

The answer is that modern cars often allow for higher speeds to be achieved more safely, and in some cases, a review of the limits might be in order - or the way they are enforced, such as investing in traffic systems that respond to the time of day (rush hour, school run time, etc).

If you disagree with the law, it doesn't mean you can simply ignore it. This is ignorance and arrogance of the highest order, and I, for one, am neither amused nor impressed.

Pete
Nicely put.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
We had an 81 year old in yesterday asking about camera detectors. He is petrified that a lack of concentration one day is going to get him in trouble with the law

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
21 Participants
Malin Dixon
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing