MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the deal with the lurkers? Membership on this site has grown phenomenally lately, but it seems like it is the same old people posting all the time. (Very guilty as charged :rolleyes: )

I know it is human nature that there will always be those who prefer to watch from the sidelines, but there are literally hundreds of people who have gone to the trouble to register on this site, but yet have chosen to stay completely mute, never even posting one single time? :confused: Or perhaps only posting once or twice? (not to mention those people that visit here regularly but still haven't taken the simple steps to register - you know who you are!)

Come on people, jump in and join the fun!

Tell us what you think about things!

Use the search function and revive an old thread that never quite ended properly!

Loosen up those fingers and type something!

We are waiting to hear from you! :eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
BruceK said:
What's the deal with the lurkers? Membership on this site has grown phenomenally lately, but it seems like it is the same old people posting all the time. (Very guilty as charged :rolleyes: )

I know it is human nature that there will always be those who prefer to watch from the sidelines, but there are literally hundreds of people who have gone to the trouble to register on this site, but yet have chosen to stay completely mute, never even posting one single time? :confused: Or perhaps only posting once or twice? (not to mention those people that visit here regularly but still haven't taken the simple steps to register - you know who you are!)

Come on people, jump in and join the fun!

Tell us what you think about things!

Use the search function and revive an old thread that never quite ended properly!

Loosen up those fingers and type something!

We are waiting to hear from you! :eek:
Ok. Being fairly new here, I was wondering.

What do people REALLY think of the MINI ? ;)

Skip

·
Registered
92 Posts
Might be because most useful stuff has been discussed, so no point in cluttering the forum until something new eventuates.

·
Registered
888 Posts
The VAST majority of users on this site DO NOT have a MINI and are just looking for information... and may well not
have anything to add! Surely thats the reason for so many lurkers?

·
Loves MINI2
855 Posts
I know Bruce along with myself do not have our MINI's yet and I post almost every day. I have a friend who is on the "S" list (along with myself) and I told him about the site. He thought it was great, so he registered. I see him every Friday night at a car meet and he said he is so busy at work he doesn't even have time to read the forum never-the-less post anything. I don't mean to make excuses, but I know that is his deal at the moment.
I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lurker's Anonymous

I fall into lightbody's category. As I'm probably one of the lucky few people on this site that hasn't even seen a MINI in the flesh, I feel I really can't add much to discussions.
But how's this for news. I found out that the local chapter of the BMW Car Club is going to have a meeting in mid-January, and they will have a Cooper and a Cooper S on display for members only. I joined the club so I could see the damned thing before March! I'm hoping they give test-drives at the meeting as well.
Also with club membership comes a magazine which many BMW owners list their car for sale. I'm also kinda hoping that somebody buys an S and then doesn't want it, meaning I could have one months before my number (#84) comes up.;)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Confessed lurker

I have contributed a few times but not having my MINI (YET!!!) I don't really have many questions that haven't been answered in other threads - I promise I'll contribute when I have a question :rolleyes:

Actually, one thing whilst I'm typing, I CANT WAIT TILL MARCH!!!!! I think the girl in the Lincoln MINI garage will get annoyed with me soon - I keep on popping in just to sit in one! :p Any other Lincs MINI owners here?

·
Registered
49 Posts
What was your Comparison?

I'm waiting to get a first hand look at the Cooper S at the LA auto show in January. Like most of you that have thought, looked, researched, seen, fine toothed combed and even bought the New MINI, I'm also impressed with the car.
My question to the actual owners in the UK...What OTHER cars have you considered and compared this little icon to?
Here in the States, even those of us who are on "The List"
really have no idea when we can expect the cars to be here, and from what I've read, the last thing we want is to have them rushed off the production line. We see enough of that here already. We just bought the new 2002 GMC Envoy for my wife back in September, which was voted Motor Trends 2002 SUV of the year and there were a substantial amount of fit and finish challenges. Thank god my dad retired from GM and we were eligible for the Employee discount, but this is a loaded up, solid, $40,000 US vehicle and we had to beat the customer service staff to a pulp to get everything we were entitled to in the first place. Now I'm sure all of our friends outside the US have their opinions of US car/truck manufactures and their build quality but my point is for a $25,000 Cooper S in the United States, there are a number of other cars available right now. Audi A4, VW GTI, Subaru WRX, All the cars on the cover of the Feb.2002 of Automobile Magazine. There are a number of ALL WHEEL drive cars in that price range that offer a lot for roughly the same amount of money. In closing, I'd like to see what some of the other enthusiasts considered besides the history, uniqueness, the fact that it is a cool car and looks fun and IS a quality car. Look forward to your responses.....I'm just a guy from the Motor City who's probably lost his mind out here in Southern California........

·
Registered
888 Posts
For me, a true motoring enthusiast and someone who takes his cars by the scruff of the kneck and has some serious fun with them - there's one overriding reason for buying the mini.

Handling.

Its amazing. The car magazines all agree that it beats EVERYTHING. I could go and get some quotes from the magazines but I cant be bothered right now but they go along the lines of "revolutionary", "landmark" "amazing" etc - and driving the thing bears this out.

It makes my previous MX-5 feel stodgy, slow and dull-witted...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Room for varied opinions?

Mr T said:
Might be because most useful stuff has been discussed, so no point in cluttering the forum until something new eventuates.
I agree... most lurkers and "econo-posters" have probably come here looking for info pre-delivery or pre-order (I certainly did). When you get here, you find that there's far more useful info than you'd dreamed possible. :)

One thing that I like about the posts, and something that I think should encouraged, is open and free discussion of both good and bad points of MINI ownership. There's no point in only hearing how good the car is: most visitors will already be fairly convinced of that when they arrive.

I haven't been put off the car by the various tales of woe I've read here, but I have learned a huge amount about what could go wrong and how others have been treated by dealers and BMW. This is an invaluable resource for owners and potential owners and - if they've any sense - BMW too.

Of course, some of the negative posts are effectively rants and there's a few unsubstantiated (and frankly daft) over-reactions cropping up. We can all take those with a pinch of salt. ;)

All I would asks is that those lucky enough to be already enjoying their MINI's allow space for the posts of those who are having problems, without shouting them down. Lately I've seen some replies to negative posts which verged on the abusive - it would be a shame if that sort of response put off potential contributors. Surely, we need to know about any problems, so that they can be sorted? That will benefit all MINI owners and enthusiasts.

When I finally get my MINI, next month, I am anticipating posting hundreds of positive comments. :p

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Re: Room for varied opinions?

ricardo said:
When I finally get my MINI, next month, I am anticipating posting hundreds of positive comments. :p
Snap:p

LMB:D (Jan 02 and counting)

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
I have to agree in general with what has been said, in that negative comments can be just as valid as positive ones.

The main reason we started the 'faults and fixes' forum was due to the level of posts on faults that were starting to come up, but it also helps those researching a new purchase to see a balanced view point.

If I were buying a new car (and I'm on the list for a Cooper S next year) I would like to know the pro's and the cons, and what to look out for.

In the UK we have become used to the phrase 'buyer beware' and I hope MINI2 helps new MINI customers to be just that 'aware' and I hope that adds to a pleasant 'ownership experience', rather than ditracts from it.

I would rather know my car has a fault that many have had experienced than believe it's just a continuation of my run of 'cursed cars' that is causing any trouble!

:)

·
Registered
186 Posts
accused lurker

IVE BEEN ACCUSED of a crime i didnt commit

i WAS a constant poster to this site BUT when we swapped i had so much trouble trying to log on all i could do was read

I could log on but then when i posted it said nope sorry u cant post.....

Has anyone else had this problem ?? ( hence the 2 at the end of my login, had to register AGAIN :confused: )

Does anyone know if u can change your login back? now that the new sites up and runnin?

Oh and ive just thought if people cant log on they cant post so i suppose its like asking all those who have a MINI beep your horn!! :p

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
When I first found this site last Jan I had just returned from Detroit. An 8 hr drive to spend 3 hrs pouring over a car I had only seen pictures of for 2 yrs. It took 5 months more to find a dealer who would accept more deposit (#3 S). In the last year I have gotten a priceless amount of information on what to expect both good and bad. All of the information is useful. I and others will become more vocal as our turn behind the wheel draws near and is reached.

Mike:D :D

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
I tell you what; this site is ready to explode. Have you seen how many guests are logging? on:eek:

LMB:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts