MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vrooom
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had our MCS for a couple of months now and have been very pleased with it - including the out of state purchase from Classic Mini and the $5000 saved !
It's getting to the point where it's almost as much fun to drive as my 911 TT :p

So here's a gratuitous picture of 3 of our 4 German cars (the 4th is a VW Jetta and not in the picture).

How would you rank them as 'German' ?

Personally

1. 911 TT - no brainer
2. MCS because of its BMW content (except the enigne)
3. Mercedes ML430 because of its great engine / tranny - but let's not talk about the rest of it :(
4. The VW Jetta just because it was made in Mexico !

PS for you poor Brits it was 82F today when I took this picture, not too bad for Winter eh ?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,522 Posts
Well when an electric mirror seized on a Porsche I owned many moons ago I took it apart
and found the cable mechanism made in Germany was kaput but the electric motor still
worked fine. It had made in Hong Kong on it. This on a car built 26 years ago, even major
items like gearboxes etc are shared now. I'll bet no Mini D owners think it's Japanese.
So on the basis it was based on the original UK Mini and then designed in the UK, then
Germany, then back to the UK etc etc and finally made in the UK I have no hesitation of
declaring the Mini British. The roof decal confirms this. Does Cooper sound German?
German
1) 911
2) MB (loses out to 911 due to lack of traditional German build quality)
3) Jetta (still German where ever it's built)
British
1) Mini Cooper
 

·
Dating my S
Joined
·
587 Posts
my entire family's roster i guess would be 4 german cars
1) MINI
2) Audi A4 avant
3) BMW X5
4) Porsche 911
my big brother drives a subaru, only one not driving a german car, ironically also the only one not driving either a silver or a black car
 

·
MotorCityMadman
Joined
·
3,793 Posts
But if the MINI was mainly designed by BMW, both the body design (well, this is American) and the guts of the car, wouldn't that make it "German" then?! :confused: The British didn't make a majority part in the design and engineering of the car.

Hahaha...gotta love today's auto world... :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Cooper76 said:
But if the MINI was mainly designed by BMW, both the body design (well, this is American) and the guts of the car, wouldn't that make it "German" then?! :confused: The British didn't make a majority part in the design and engineering of the car.

Hahaha...gotta love today's auto world... :rolleyes:
I thought Rover was responsible for the majority of the design work, no? BMW inherited it and did final tweaking/massaging. BMW held onto the MINI project after selling off Rover.

However in any case, it is a world car.

I'll put the MINI book on my wish list, and I'll let everyone know what the real story is after the new year! :D
 

·
Vrooom
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if the Mini is British....

why does the VIN indicate it's German :p
IMHO these days with globalization it's hard to say this auto is American, British , German etc.
Maybe it just comes down to the brand name and it really doesn't matter anymore !
That said I still think the Mini is more German than British.
 

·
MotorCityMadman
Joined
·
3,793 Posts
heyduard said:
I thought Rover was responsible for the majority of the design work, no? BMW inherited it and did final tweaking/massaging. BMW held onto the MINI project after selling off Rover.

However in any case, it is a world car.

I'll put the MINI book on my wish list, and I'll let everyone know what the real story is after the new year! :D
Yeah, it's a world car for sure. But I believe the Rover engineers' design was sacked by the BMW Board and it caused quite a riff between the English and Germans because it smelled of favoritism. But most would agree that the early Rover designs were pretty unconventional, in a bad way, which led the Board to favor the German/American design.

In the book, Driven: The BMW Story..... it has a great chapter of the Rover acquisition and the whole MINI story. It's worth a read. BMW really is a remarkable company.
 

·
MotorCityMadman
Joined
·
3,793 Posts
yellowliquid said:
The guy who designed the new Mini was Frank Stephenson he now designs Ferraris. So are Ferraris 'British' now? ;)
For a while that is. Stephenson was soon replaced at Ferrari by Ali G. Can't wait to see the '07s!


:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
meinamini said:
Slightly OT but, A couple of years ago family friends of ours got very excited because one of their sons was getting a German Car. They were devastated when we informed them that Subaru's are Japanese :confused:
In the most recent Subaru commercial, they advertise their new Legacy is 'German Engineered'.... I hope this can help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
If ya wanna be..........

truely "German" all your German cars MUST ALWAYS, have the theme from Knight Rider on the stereo playing constantly. Also you MUST ALWAYS wear a turtleneck sweater and a snug fitting, 80's style leather jacket. :D
 

·
MotorCityMadman
Joined
·
3,793 Posts
Rich'sFroggy said:
truely "German" all your German cars MUST ALWAYS, have the theme from Knight Rider on the stereo playing constantly. Also you MUST ALWAYS wear a turtleneck sweater and a snug fitting, 80's style leather jacket. :D
Ah yes! Very good! Thanks for reminding us!

And if the Knight Rider theme isn't available, then it must be Kraftwerk. :p
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top