MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My mini cooper 2010 petrol 1,6 R59 , done 95k miles- has failed on emissions , failing on fast idle test -both O2 sensors have been changed, CAT checked and is fine , any ideas as to what may be going on? thanks !

emissions results as follows:
fast idle test number 1
engine temp at 84'C

engine speed 2578rpm
CO max 0.20% actual 0.13% pass
HC max 200ppm actual 240ppm fail
lambda 0.97-1.03 actual 0.99 pass

fast idle test number 2

engine temp at 84'
engine speed 2396rpm
CO max 0.20% actual 0.65 % fail
HC max 200ppm actual 207ppm fail
lambda 0.97-1.03 actual 0.97 pass

natural idle test

engine speed 721rpm pass
CO max 0.20% actual 0.18% pass

·
Registered
2013: Mini Cooper S R59 Roadster in Chilli Red
39 Posts
Had my engine completely stripped down and rebuilt with all new parts (alternator, engine block, turbocharger, thermostat, head gasket etc etc etc after my engine blew up on the M25.
Last week I had my MOT and these are my results.

fast idle test
engine temp at 65’C
as engine fan kicked in.
engine speed 2500rpm
CO max 0.20% actual 0.02% pass
HC max 200ppm actual 38ppm pass
lambda 0.97-1.03 actual 0.98 pass

natural idle test

engine speed 700rpm pass
CO max 0.20% actual 0.05% pass

Currently running her in, but have noticed she revs a lot lower than before and engine is constantly cooler to the touch. Response and acceleration has markedly improved.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
i've rebuilt loads of them all run cooler after as always fit the lower temps thermo housing and engine will run better due to timing will be correct after rebuild, hope you also fitted new cat and 02 sensors as these get damaged from oil burning from before,

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
1,017 Posts
I agree with Mike. The Catalytic convertors tend to go out. 700 dollars U.S. last time I checked. Had mine replaced under warranty and learned my lesson not to run additives as the Mini Cooper stock cats do not play well at all with fuel cleaners and seafoam.
I have about 1500 miles on my rebuild and it does not burn or loose any oil at all. I am enjoying it very much. I have a Mark IV automotive Thermostat housing and it is nice and toasty on the inside here in the winter in the U.S. The big reason I like it more than the new one I used during the engine rebuild is that the old one was running the car cooler and not so much the engine. But my automatic transmission was giving me a hidden code about transmission temp and in a automatic duel clutch transmission that was not gonna fly so I got a new thermostat housing and cleared that right up. Because the engine I can always run through again.
Thinking about running water/methanol. But I can service the head just as easy at 30 thousand miles when I do the timing chain again and clean the cylinders and head off of the coke that gets formed. And cost about the same. And be a little more intense examination. Of course the other way around I would only need the timing chain at 30 thousand miles.
but I have ARP head bolts so I can remove the head again without buying new head bolts just a head gasket.

·
Registered
2013: Mini Cooper S R59 Roadster in Chilli Red
39 Posts
Initially I had the warning come up regarding the catalytic converter. It has since disappeared. Only thing coming out of the exhaust is water vapour. Almost zero smell. Engine running about 1000-1500 rpm lower than before the engine refit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts