MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

just had our 52 plate mini cooper fail its mot on broken rear spring(guy said this was common?) and emissions on the lambda reading.

my question is are any of these jobs diy? i have had a quote for the parts as the rear springs at £57 each and the lambda sensor at £60. ( i have had no warning lights come up to piont to the lambda sensor, is this strange?)

on the other hand demon tweeks will fit lowered springs all round for £276 (the spax spring kit is £123).

any thoughts/advise would be greatly appreciated.

cheers iain

·
Registered
382 Posts
For the MOT, they don't test your lambda sensor.

They put a sensor in the tip of the exhaust to measure the emitions.

While it could be a faulty lambada sensor, it could also be something else causing the emitions to be high. Usualy if the emitions are high, the car will turn on the MIL light to reflect this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply.

so would i be right in thinking that if the lambda sensor was giving false readings i would have the MIL on?

might it be the cat then or maybe it just needs a good run.

cheers iain

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi again,

I've just been having a look at the results of the emissions and something doesn't seem to quite add up.

fast idle
co <0.200% limit 0.017% pass
hc<200 ppm limit 18ppm pass
lambda 0.970-1.030 limit 1.244 fail

fast idle
co <0.20o% limit 0.010% pass
hc<200 ppm limit 7ppm pass
lambda 0.970-1.030 limit 1.051 fail

natural idle test passed

The co and hc are really low does anyone have any ideas as to what this may indicate? Any help would be really helpful, thanks very much

Iain

1 - 4 of 4 Posts