MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all first time poster so go easy on me.
I took my gfs 04 mini one 164k for an MOT the other day and it failed on suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn (rear mounting bush) both offside and near side plus a few other minor things.
But these were the main issues as the garage stated that they couldn't guarantee that they could remove the high tensile steel bolts without a high risk of shearing the bolts off inside the sub frame and thus making it virtually scrap,he even mentioned doing a 03 mini recently and the bolts had snapped and the owner had to scrap it.

So are these bolts a nightmare to remove or did the garage try to fob me off as they didn't want the job? Also I was hoping to get a quote on click mechanic but there are so many options to choose from lower wishbone to front rear inside etc I'm confused on what work actually needs doing,as I haven't jacked it up to check for myself.
Any advice would be great thanks in advance 馃憤

Registered
the ones that are most likely to snap are the bolts into the frame that secure the bush brackets to it or the front frame bolts into the chassis, if it's the frame ones just find another frame, cheaper than drilling out bolts that size I expect, as for the chassis ones up front that's a problem but can be solved making access holes and cutting through the bolt tubes and inserting a nut for a new bolt to grab, time consuming so has a price tag, the rear ones into the floor would be the most unlikely but also the biggest problem.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for your reply so a guess this would assume that you need to drop the subframe? And the bolts you are referring to are the ones that attach the subframe to the chassis? So my question is does the chassis need to be dropped to do this? or can I just press out the old bushes in place using the special tool and either buy and replace with new control arms(wish bones) which wouldn't risk snapping any bolts off? Or am I wrong in my assumption of this repair and it's a lot more involved than I'm thinking? If I was to get a mechanic to carry out this how much would they charge and would it
be relatively easy?

Thanks for any advice in advance cheers馃憤

Registered
I had a garage replace the rear control arm bushings just after I bought my R50 3 years ago. The bushes were approx 拢50 each and they charged 拢70 labour (+VAT) per side to change. I believe they left the subframe in and used a reciprocating saw to chop the arm out of the bushing.

This September after only 10,000 miles since they were replaced, for whatever reason one of the bushings failed again so this time I did it myself. I dropped the subframe, stripped and painted it and replaced both rear bushings, inner and outer balljoints, anti-roll bar bushes and track rod ends just so it's all done. The job was pretty straightforward everything came undone pretty well apart from one balljoint nut that I managed to round off.

Attachments

Registered
Mini Cooper S 2004 54 plate
ModMini on YouTube has a video where he replaces the bushes on the car if you want to investigate that route.

Before I did my car I got some quotes from local garages and only one was willing to take it on, and wanted 拢330 as a starting point but would not fit my poly bushes, the others made excuses and it was obvious they didn鈥檛 fancy the job.

On my 04 MCS I chose to drop the subframe as I was also doing the ARB bushes and ball joints as well.
I too was concerned about snapping bolts, as that happened to the strut pinch bolts, but the subframe bolts all came out easily using an impact wrench (IMO using an impact wrench over a breaker bar lessens the risk of snapping).

The bolts that did take some shifting were the ones that hold the ARB on, that was squeaky bum time! I actually bought a used subframe and a set of bolts just in case they did snap.

If you do drop the sub frame it鈥檚 a good opportunity to give it a rub down, treat the rust and paint it.
Replace the OEM bushes with poly ones, they last much longer, I doubt you will have to do the job again.
The car feels so tight now.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys so it's obviously a job that no one wants but it's also a job that you would recommend I do myself, if I want my mini to last and handle a lot better, maybe I'll tackle this when the weather improves next year and for now I'll sorn it and leave it till next year, thanks again for all your input馃憤

Registered
I wouldn't say no one wants it, I do them but won't get involved with heating crap up or drilling out bolts, people just need to buy replacement stuff as it's required and deal with it, it can be a relatively straightforward task and if so would be ~拢240, if a nightmare it can't be estimated just because shit happens, it is what it is ;O)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts