MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 MCS JCW went in for it's MOT and a check on a few other items before the cherished (make a note of this) warranty runs out.

Dealer phones at 3 to tell me it's failed on a sidelight buld and a front tyre, very minor so no real worries. They then tell me the tyre will be £150 and the bulb £10.

Now the tyre can be had elsewhere for £50 less but the bulb was a **** take, cherished cars are guaranteed to pass the first MOT providing the test is performed before the due date. Dealer tried claiming this wasn't the case but went away and checked, 5mins later called to confirm I was right and they'd replace the bulb.

Arrived at the dealers to collect to find that the bulb still appears on the invoice, expalined again that this is a warrantee item and eventually get the charge removed. Thats 2 attempt to overcharge a customer on the same item within 90minutes! :rolleyes:

Now on to the other items, I asked them to look at
1 - aux volt guage intermittently not working
2 - shriek noise from clutch puling away
3 - squeaking windows
4 - wheel bearing noise

This is the response I got
1 - only £100 is covered by the cherished warranty, they'll need the car for 2 days to fix and no a courtesy car is not available so I can get to work. I pointed out that the wheels bearing previously replaced was FOC so why do I now need to pay every thing over £100?, they admit a mistake and it is all covered
2 - known issue but need to dismantle to examine and couldn't confirm whether it's covered by warranty or not
3 - need to disassemble & lubricate, 2 + hours labour at £130 per hour
4 - didn't even look at it

It's not the work thats annoying but the constant fight to get things that should be covered by the warranty sorted that ****es me off. 2 day without a vehicle over warranty issues is ridiculous and inconvienient.

Anyone got an advice on what to do next?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Which dealer did you buy the car from?

What I'd do is either call the dealership's head office, and kick up a fuss, or failing that, phone mini and kick up a fuss.

Sytner Sheffield were refusing to put my car right, but it was a different story once I got them in trouble with head office!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Very few dealerships will have courtesy cars available then and there, they are normally booked out a few weeks in advance. Can't you simply book the car in when they have got a courtesy car?
Or is it the case that the warranty will expire soon, so the work wouldn't be covered?

I doubt whether the warranty actually says a courtesy car will be provided?

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
right this 'may' be one of the issues the car was purchased from Westerly in Exeter but MOT was done by Halliwell jones in Warrington.

and yes Vitesse, warranty expires on the 18th and no cars available before, tbh I can get round things and borrow a vehicle from work but not everyones as lucky. Warranty doesn't offer a car and I wouldn't expect it to. I guess some flexibility or discussion from the dealer would show more customer care.

Think I'll phone MINI directly in the morning and see what they say

·
Registered
754 Posts
Does sound like the dealers need to be a bit more flexible and agree to do the work post expiry date but still under warranty.

I'm quite lucky really as my car came from JCG originally, who obviously don't exist anymore, and my local dealers that I use seem only too keen to work on it and couldn't do enough for you.

I have seen the complete opposite at another dealers not too far away, who are totally uninterested. The difference between them is like night and day!!!

·
w' all the toys..
891 Posts
Sorry to hear your troubles as I know how frustrating this sort of thing can be - especially with warranty issues..

Been there myself, keep calm, stand firm and make sure everything gets resolved to your satisfaction - you paid for it after all.

I bought my 05 Cooper from a dealership with an amazing head tech who was one of those "nothing too much trouble" kind of guys - bliss for almost 2 years.

When I sold the Cooper and purchased an 05 S he looked at the car initially but then moved on to greener pastures - new head tech was one of those "I know way more than you ever could" type of guys and so I started taking the S to the original supplying dealer where the techs were brilliant at pulling things apart but pretty rubbish at reassembly - damage, parts missing etc...

Decided to give Mini Battersea who are walking distance from my home a shot and have been been with them ever since, great service, great techs.

Hope you get it sorted.

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it's been back in today to check the gauges and just picked it up with another problem, one of the bushes needs replacing.

Good new is that it's a warranty job and even better is my aux volt guage in knackered and because they don't do black anymore I'm getting an upgrade to the new version including replacing the working oil gauge so they match :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
some dealers try and get out of a lot my mate had a mare when he bought his s of cherished 6 months back and it took him months and phone calls to mini uk to sort it all in the end

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got to say the service department is the low of owning a MINI, in two weeks it's out of warranty and apart from standard service work will be done elsewhere :)

·
w' all the toys..
891 Posts
got to say the service department is the low of owning a MINI, in two weeks it's out of warranty and apart from standard service work will be done elsewhere :)
Certainly if you get a bad service dept that is very true..

Completely the opposite if you get a good one though..

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not from warrington but spend a lot of time here, I work there although home is Dorset. One of the downs of construction consultancy is working away from home :)

Cars getting there but still going back in on Tuesday

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Sounds like you need to find a better dealer. They aren't all bad!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts