MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wifes mini failed its MOT at williams rochdale because it did not have the number plate suppliers postcode on what do you think

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ive never heard of that one !
Had mine MOT'd today and there is no postcode on front or rear plates.

Even my old black cooper (See pic to the left has show plates which are incorrectly spaced passed the MOT)

·
Where does that road go?
12,574 Posts
Clearly down to the discretion of the M.O.T. testing centre I suppose.

Doesn't mean you won't get stopped further down the road by the police for an illegally-spaced number plate though. ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
why dosnt my signature work ? :-(

·
Registered
86 Posts
sorry, didnt know there was one

thanks

·
Registered
593 Posts
respect for the enforces of the law, dissapears when they choose to ignore enforcing numberpate laws/blacked out windows/no seatbelts/ overcrowding etc. then stop ford mondeo man for driving at 33mph in a 30.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
It was a requirement since a while back. Correct reflectivity, spacing, font, size, decals (only allowed GB and euro) and manufacturer details. However due to a problem with some system or other not being rolled out the MOT centres were told to forget it for a while. Some still do the test, some dont. Wether they have now all recieved the correct paperwork, tools and training could explain why you were caught.

basically they were right to challenge you/fail the car. Cloned and illegal plates is a major issue in this country at the moment for the cops. My car just scraped through but for the next MOT i'll have to fit bog standard halford plates (mine is legal spacing, letters size and font and reflectivity. But it has a MINI bage on the left edge and dbrally.net where the postcode of manufacturer is supposed to be, so technically it should fail.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
How is taking steps, however small, towards stopping criminals cloning cars needless bureaucracy? :confused:

Beacuse as anyone who works in the car industry will tell you, it is as easy as pie to get illegal plates off the internet. So the whole system fulls down.:eek: This postcode and originator **** is just another tax as lots of people are being forced to get new plates even though they have totally legal at the time of fitment plates, just now they need a postcode. Even my standard ones from BMW in 2002 are now illegal. Another useless tax that hoenst folk have to pay. Good old labour, how long now till they get the vote of confidence pushed through.

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
This postcode and originator **** is just another tax as lots of people are being forced to get new plates even though they have totally legal at the time of fitment plates, just now they need a postcode.
<snip>
Another useless tax that hoenst folk have to pay. Good old labour, how long now till they get the vote of confidence pushed through.
The current legislation came into force on 1st September 2001. Plates already fitted to cars registered before this date were and still are exempt, so nobody has been forced to pay to have anything replaced.

If the plates are changed on a car registered before 1st September 2001 the new plates must also conform to the new standards. This only happens either when dealerships fit their own plates on cars they take in part-exchange, or when cars change hands in a private sale and the new owner chooses to have new plates fitted. Either way nobody is being forced to do it.

If you're going to have a pointless anti-Labour government rant, at least make sure you've got the facts right before you do it :rolleyes:

Even my standard ones from BMW in 2002 are now illegal.
The supplying dealership is at fault here, as the car was registered after the current legislation came into force.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
The current legislation came into force on 1st September 2001. Plates already fitted to cars registered before this date were and still are exempt, so nobody has been forced to pay to have anything replaced.

If the plates are changed on a car registered before 1st September 2001 the new plates must also conform to the new standards. This only happens either when dealerships fit their own plates on cars they take in part-exchange, or when cars change hands in a private sale and the new owner chooses to have new plates fitted. Either way nobody is being forced to do it.

If you're going to have a pointless anti-Labour government rant, at least make sure you've got the facts right before you do it :rolleyes:

The supplying dealership is at fault here, as the car was registered after the current legislation came into force.
How old does the car / plates have to be for them to need to comply with this legislation? Thanks:cool:

·
Making it add up
847 Posts
How is taking steps, however small, towards stopping criminals cloning cars needless bureaucracy? :confused:
I simply don't see how the postcode on the number plate helps prevent cloning. If a criminal wants to clone a car I don't believe that the need for a postcode will stop him in his tracks. If he has already overcome the need to produce evidence of ownership and identity to obtain a number plate, this is hardly a big problem.

And why fail an MOT for lack of a postcode. Given that the MOT station now accesses details of the vehicle on-line I think that there are lots of other obstacles to successfully getting an MOT for a cloned car. I am all for systems and procedures that are effective for the purpose for which they are intended but this seems worthless to me.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
I simply don't see how the postcode on the number plate helps prevent cloning. If a criminal wants to clone a car I don't believe that the need for a postcode will stop him in his tracks. If he has already overcome the need to produce evidence of ownership and identity to obtain a number plate, this is hardly a big problem.

And why fail an MOT for lack of a postcode. Given that the MOT station now accesses details of the vehicle on-line I think that there are lots of other obstacles to successfully getting an MOT for a cloned car. I am all for systems and procedures that are effective for the purpose for which they are intended but this seems worthless to me.
Good point well made! Still, I have MINI numberplates from the dealer!:):smile:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts