MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi; I took my wife's mini into the shop the other day for an oil change and tire rotation. When I got home, I noticed the oil code was different from the previous changes (0-30), and that the oil they used was BMW Long Life 17 FE+, which is 0-20 (not listed her manual as an oil option. I couldn't find anything on the internet that matched the oil with the car. Can anyone please spread any light on this? Is it a compatible oil? I would assume so, as it's from the dealership but lack of info has me somewhat confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2020 Countryman PHEV
17 Posts
From my reading around the subject I would conclude that the BMW Long Life 17 FE+ is a very high quality oil, which is actually made for BMW by Shell. It continues the development of oils which attempt to reduce the carbon build up on inlet valves of direct injection engines.

I am afraid I am not qualified to comment whether it is suitable for your engine, which I assume is a 1.6l (N18B16). I think you should ask others to be sure.

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
trouble with these engines and carbon build up is a lot to do with over lap on valves and exhaust gases blowing back and mixing with the wet breather oil and going hard,, stretched timing chain adds to this,, only may is catch can both breathers while keeping it seal system, been using trade 5/30 fully syn on all cars for years dont make any difference to carbon issues,,, also long life oil destroys engines 24 months 20.000 miles is just to long when the engines are designed to collect soots as p[art of emissions savings and it ends up in the oil a lot of it,,, 8-10k oil changes better and 12 months max,, i also use seafoam to flush the system cleans out all the crud,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts