MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Don't Lose Your Head.....
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

From the local rag, the Southern Daily Echo.

CAR shipments through Southampton Docks take on a fresh dimension this week as the first consignment of British-built Minis makes its way to Australia and preparations are finalised for the first shipment of Hondas to America.

It's all part of growing trade through the docks which is already hailed as the principal port for handling car imports and exports in the country.

The Minis, built by BMW at its factory in Oxford, are due to reach Australia in 12 days' time.

Over 100 cars have been shipped aboard the Swedish-registered car carrier Turandot operated by Wallenius Wilhelmsen and are due to arrive at Freemantle on January 20.

More cars will be landed at Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane before the ship goes on to Auckland, New Zealand where it is due on February 2.

The seven-year-old 22,815 dwt Turandot is a regular caller at Southampton on the Wallenius route and can carry up to 5,850 cars.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Interesting

The Cooper was not meant to be released for sale here until March 2002.

With any luck, they are demo vehicles for the dealers.

A drive before delivery would be nice.

Demo S's due at dealers in April 2002.

Thanks for that information.

:)

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
Huey said:

The Minis, built by BMW at its factory in Oxford, are due to reach Australia in 12 days' time.

Over 100 cars have been shipped aboard the Swedish-registered car carrier Turandot operated by Wallenius Wilhelmsen and are due to arrive at Freemantle on January 20.

More cars will be landed at Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane before the ship goes on to Auckland, New Zealand where it is due on February 2.

That would have to be the best news I've had this year. At last our test drives are on their way.

Come to Papa ....

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Huey said:

From the local rag, the Southern Daily Echo.

CAR shipments through Southampton Docks take on a fresh dimension this week as the first consignment of British-built Minis makes its way to Australia and preparations are finalised for the first shipment of Hondas to America.

This is what I love about this site. We even have spies at the docks...brilliant:D

LMB:D

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I think they are the dealer demo cars promised early Feb. I will be waiting at the dealer's (probably visit daily once they arrive!)

There are also some race-prepped Coopers going to Melbourne for a Celebrity race-thang at the Grand Prix - BMW sent me an invite to give them AUD2500 to attend & meet the stars'n'cars

...Think I'll give that one a miss:rolleyes:

Great work on the spy-job Huey

Look out for first customer shipment of S's - The Indi Blue one in front is mine:D

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
this is the sort of stuff that I want to read about, not a Ford.

Getting exciting isn't is, cobbers?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Those puppies are on the water!

eltel said:

Pants-wettingly so:D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
eltel said:

I'll ignore the first bit.

Yes it is quite exciting. Maybe BMW have read all the posts here and decided to get some driveable cars over here to keep orders in place.......ha ha

Tempest fugit.......

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
Basil said:

I'll ignore the first bit.

Yes it is quite exciting. Maybe BMW have read all the posts here and decided to get some driveable cars over here to keep orders in place.......ha ha

Tempest fugit.......
Tempus fugit, NOT. It's going to crawl now that we know that demos are on their way.

Sorry Basil, I may be skating on thin ice again.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
eltel said:

Tempus fugit, NOT. It's going to crawl now that we know that demos are on their way.

Sorry Basil, I may be skating on thin ice again.
Tempest Fugit does apply to that ship. Have you done the math ?. It's 12000 miles, and its supposed to be here in 12 days, thats 1000 miles a day.

That ship must be supercharged !!!.......:D

your always skating on thin ice these days eltel.... not sure why. Maybe your just frustrated at the wait for your MINI which is understandible. The rest of us distract ourselves with talk of the Type-R and the like to pass the time.

cheers buddy

:D :D :D :D

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
I suppose that's what middle age does to you, Basil. Yes, I'm frustrated, and I certainly apologise if I've been aggressive in these posts lately.

I've been frustrated with BMW/MINI for too long now, but I just have to be patient, although I am waiting for a wildcard entry into the Cooper Celebrity Challenge. That might cheer me up a bit. If I do get a drive, then you'll know which one I am, I'll be heading off the track, out through the car park, and onto St Kilda Road, and away....

Tempus fugit non. (I studied Latin for 5 years.)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
eltel said:
I suppose that's what middle age does to you, Basil. Yes, I'm frustrated, and I certainly apologise if I've been aggressive in these posts lately.

I've been frustrated with BMW/MINI for too long now, but I just have to be patient, although I am waiting for a wildcard entry into the Cooper Celebrity Challenge. That might cheer me up a bit. If I do get a drive, then you'll know which one I am, I'll be heading off the track, out through the car park, and onto St Kilda Road, and away....

Tempus fugit non. (I studied Latin for 5 years.)
Thanks for that post eltel......much appreciated.

Good luck with your entry.

:D

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
eltel said:
Does that apply to me too?

I thought:

eltel said:
Do Private emails instead, 'cos you obviously know the members of the audience that you want to communicate with.

I'm not one of them. OK?
..was a bit harsh. I understand your frustration, but we are all in the same boat. I have been following this web site for a while now, so sometimes now and again I do go off topic. But no offence is meant; I am just trying to alleviate some boredom.

But hopefully the need should not arise again because I received a phone call from my dealership yesterday to tell me my car is arriving early:p It has caught me a bit off guard really but I can't complain. So if all goes well I should have my car by Thursday:D

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
That's enough 'being nice'

LMB said:
...I received a phone call from my dealership yesterday to tell me my car is arriving early...I should have my car by Thursday:D

YOU COMPLETE & UTTER BAST**D!!!:mad: (in green!)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: . . . and not the Titanic !

Jakx said:

Should read they are all in the same boat !

I hope the ship doesn't drift too far left and miss Australia altogether !!!.

(Sorry couldn't resist :D )

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
LMB said:

..was a bit harsh. I understand your frustration, but we are all in the same boat. I have been following this web site for a while now, so sometimes now and again I do go off topic. But no offence is meant; I am just trying to alleviate some boredom.

But hopefully the need should not arise again because I received a phone call from my dealership yesterday to tell me my car is arriving early:p It has caught me a bit off guard really but I can't complain. So if all goes well I should have my car by Thursday:D

LMB, please include yourself in my general apology. Your contributions are usually priceless.

Roll on Thursday, you lucky so-and-so.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
eltel said:

LMB, please include yourself in my general apology. Your contributions are usually priceless.

Roll on Thursday, you lucky so-and-so.
You've done yourself proud eltel.....

I've gone all warm and prickly inside......

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
No Basil the ship is not super charged.
The Turandot left the UK with her precious cargo on the 21/12/01.

Due to Arrive on the following days at the following ports:

FREMANTLE AUSTRALIA 21/01/2002
MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA 26/01/2002
SYDNEY AUSTRALIA 28/01/2002
BRISBANE AUSTRALIA 30/01/2002

I wonder what BMW au will do with these cars. Will they:

1 level them on the docks till closer to the Mel GP

2 send them to the dealers for delivery to clients

3 send them to dealers with instructions that are not to be delived till the GP.

4 Or send the demo cars to the dealers as soon the cars are ready, but keep the cars that are clents orders, till Mel GP closer?

Any one want to have a guess at what BMW au will do???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts