MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
MINI2 Crash Test Driver
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing as an mp3 player which you could connect to the cd prep?? If not, are there any inputs on the CD-Boost for something like a portable mp3 player? (~2500 mps need a car to drive in!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try the following web site

www.6thplanet.com

They are currently selling in-car MP3 players in different specs from £ 199. Not sure how they will connect, appears to be by sending an FM signal to the radio. Looks pretty good though with the base unit in the boot and a digital dash controller ( with remote control ?! ).

Good luck, if anyone can add anything further, or has fitted one of these or similar, we'd be really interested in hearing more....

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Sony MGS-X1 MagicGate Memory Stick MP3 Player

The Sony Mobile MGS-X1 MagicGate Memory Stick MP3 player is the first in-car memory stick player. About the size of a small electric razor, the MGS-X1 mounts to the dashboard or other location and connects to any headunit that uses Sony UniLink. Acting just like a Disc changer or other connected peripheral, the track numbers are even displayed on the head unit.

www.sony.com

Of course, unless the MINI's disc changer control is compatable with the UniLink dealy, you're sodded.

But it's a good idea. I'll buy one when it's compatable, shows track names, and dosen't use the miserable memory sticks.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
just get a mp3 headunit,??????

sony are actually bringing out a memory stick headunit anyway soon,

Tom

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Yup, that's out as well. It looks like a regular CD player, but it's got a little Memory Stick slot in it as well. Neatest part is it can rip a song to MP3 from a CD in-car. (Okay, neat if you like stealing music from your friends' CD's while they bum a ride). I think it can play data CD-R/RW with MP3's on them too.

·
Registered
208 Posts
mp3

i already have a mp3 headunit,

although if anyone is interested and is willin to cough up the money i might sell it, only 2 months old.

Tom

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Re: mp3

mini-mini said:
i already have a mp3 headunit,

although if anyone is interested and is willin to cough up the money i might sell it, only 2 months old.

Tom
I've had an Kenwood MP3 head unit since last April - Day 1 I ripped 10 CD to an MP3 disk put it in the player and never taken it out since! - Navigating 300 odd tracks is a bit of pain but space and weight saved is a huge bonus - I looked at MP3 hard drive style units to go in the boot etc. when I was searching but the MP3 headunit playing disks was by far the best choice I made

·
MINI2 Crash Test Driver
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to Halfords a few days ago to find him a new head unit. Found the perfect thing for my mini, the Sony CDX-M770, goes completely black when not on, so fits brilliantly with the Mini's interior.

Bonus thing I just realised, by reading the Sony website, it reads CDR-S and CDRW mp3s! Yay! Problem solved!!!!

·
Spectator
1,563 Posts
Do you mean the empeg car player?

It's too bad they sold to SonicBlue, but I can understand why they did it.

Chip H.

·
Registered
177 Posts
chiph said:
Do you mean the empeg car player?

It's too bad they sold to SonicBlue, but I can understand why they did it.

Chip H.
Yeah, that's the one. I have a Rio Car MK2a, which is practically identical to the Empeg MK2. Towards the end of last year Sonic Blue dicided to discontinue selling the player and all stock was sold off at greatly reduced rates e.g. 10Gig player was originally £1100+ and were eventually sold off at £140. My dream of owning one came true.

See End of line

·
Registered
208 Posts
mp3's are the way forward no doubt,

i already own a alpine cda 7878R www.alpine-europe.com which plays mp3's has time correction dhe everything you will ever need, not bad for £800

i'm however trying to sell her, any offers she is only a month old can be seen working etc in my car, (pics in my gallery)

the reason being i want to upgrade to something even more sexy than the alpine which is capable of playing dvd's :)

also on subject of mp3's kenwood are releasing two cool products soon, one the ten dics dvd changer which can play mp3's with a 1k price tag, and the "music KEG" which is basically a 10gb hard drive,

TOM

let me know if anyone is interested in my headunit, am willing to travel a bit,

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got an MP3 player which is pretty good. It's a Clarion CD player which reads CDR/CDRW discs full of MP3's.

There is a bit of a pisser in that it doesn't read the ID3 tags, so all you get is folder names, not file names or artist info.

It's a bloody good head unit though and cost £399. I got mine from www.raysmith.co.uk as it's local (Edinburgh). They charge more in the shop unless you print the webpage off and take it in.

Cheers

Dazza

·
I am Jacks wasted life
557 Posts
in my honest opinion the best MP3 deck on the market is the JVC KD-SH99

It has a buttload of features, 3 channel 4v outputs, both on face and RCA inputs (if u do get that DVD player and LCD screen u know u want :) ) etc etc etc anyways i wont bore every feature but most are on the JVC website if u wanna look it up and the cool little interactive demo (press the buttons! :) ) . Its even a silver colour so should blend in with the mini dash quite well.

My girlie has one as well as several friends and they all rave about it, i've had more than enuff opertunity to play around with it myself and i love it:) its a definite on my shoppin list come september :))

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the DMP3...I found this thread trying to get some info from people who may have fitted it. Saw it while I was at CES. What I'm wondering is: how well will a full sized hard drive based player do in an MCS with the 17" S-"lites". My MCS arrives next week :D and from what I've heard about the ride quality with the 17's, maybe the ride is too harsh to ensure decent longevity of the hard drive.

http://www.dension.com

Kinda wish I had bought one at CES...they were $100 off or something like that for orders at the show. Still got a few more pennies to save though and I might as well upgrade the speakers first, probably.

·
Registered
86 Posts
DMP3

I've got the Dension and can wholeheartedly recommend it!

Gets treated just like a very large CD changer by the HU and is flawless in performance.

I haven't even got mine fixed in the car yet and take corners and bumps pretty hard and have not had any jumping or anything from the unit.

I run a Cooper S with 17" S Spokes.

Check this thread for pictures...

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25023

Cheers,

Tom...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm guessing so far you haven't had to replace your drive?...how long have you had it in? They didn't seem to have much shock protection and I can't remember where I put the brochure :D...no mention of shock resistant features on their site either.

I'm not particularly worried about the music jumping (which could/should never happen with such a unit b/c of the hard drive itself)...I'm worried about how long the hard drive will last. Computer hard drives are made to tolerate certain shock ratings (for some of the clumsy fingered :D), but occuring on a fairly frequent basis and at times possibly exceeding those ratings, I'm worried about a total hard drive failure or at least some serious sector damage. Seems like a short matter of time before one of the heads is sent bumping into one of the platters.

·
Registered
991 Posts
GTmini said:
no mention of shock resistant features on their site either.
Actually, the site does mention it. It seems very difficult to extract any sort of information from the Dension web site, as it appears to be written by someone whose second language is English.

The section to look under is in the FAQ under the section about "the buffet in my car".

I don't think I could fit an entire sideboard in my car or, for that matter, host any sort of self-service meal in there. :D

I particularly like the suggestion of placing the Dension "under the stirring wheel."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts