MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Cooper D as a mile munching commuter car and I couldn’t be more impressed with the miles I’m getting since I owned it. The MPG figure in the picture is since owned and the miles done is how many covered in the half a tank used. I’m not a miss daisy driver either. What does everyone else get mpg?
Watch White Automotive lighting Speedometer Automotive design

Vehicle Measuring instrument Audio equipment Gas Electronic device

Automotive lighting Font Gas Display device Auto part

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there,

Not sure of my MPG but I get around 380 miles out of a full tank! Not sure if thats good or bad really. I more intrigued as to how you get it to show the mpg on the stereo screen? Mines a 2010 Cooper D but I haven't got the trip computer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure you can without a trip. But I press menu, then comp. This lists all the parameters the trip can show you with the figures from them. If you then want a specific one you can scroll across and select it. That brings it up like my picture.
As for your 380 miles a tank I’d say that bad when I’ve done 398 and still have 4 bars of fuel left.

·
Registered
61 Posts
the range you get will depend on the type of driving you do.

my 2012 Cooper D gets around 50-55mpg average ( calculated from tank-tank fills - the computer readout always shows between 2 & 8mpg different - mostly lower but occasionally higher than this calculated figure - basically its never accurate ) this is on my commute to work of about 15 miles per journey of mixed driving & not often gently driven.

if i encounter more stop/start traffic at the start or end of the journey or i encounter tractors or learners on the nice normally fast national speed sections then the MPG moves into the 47-49's.

but on the other hand i took a friend of mine to collect there new vehicle from a ways away & from my normal tank milages ( around 350-400 per tank ) i expected to need to have a quick splash & dash to get home as it was a 210mile each way trip, but as it was a trip on a nice fairly traffic free motorway journey for most of the trip not only did i get there, i got back too and still had a fair bit of the tank left afterwards ( so about on par with what your car is showing - from memory the mpg calculated was around the 67-68mark but it was about 18 months ago so i dont fancy trying to find the receipt to double check lol )

( but just to be nit picky, thats not half a tank used sadly, more like 3/4 as the fuel light comes on with 2 bars left if memory serves - but a quick guestimation of fuel Litres used shows between 68 & 72mpg ish for the miles done so its not to be sniffed at at all if a good geustimation made ) - my assumption here is that you do mostly motorway or fast road driving - if your getting these numbers from chugging round town or 50-50 mixed driving then i am very jealous lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realised it’s not half after the post. I managed 583 miles before filling up again. Not to shabby at all. Was a 36L fill up, so around 4L left in the tank. Most of my commute is A roads with roundabouts then a bit of town and a bit of A1m.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I realised it’s not half after the post. I managed 583 miles before filling up again. Not to shabby at all. Was a 36L fill up, so around 4L left in the tank. Most of my commute is A roads with roundabouts then a bit of town and a bit of A1m.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: for both the miles done with that style driving & also the lack of fuel left in the tank ( 71.6-73.6ish MPG over the tank give or take abit - more accurate miles & Litres required for more accurate MPG )- i have only ever let the fuel warning light pop on once on this car ( twice if you include the light being on when i bought the vehicle but i dont count that as it was on when i got in it lol ) - my main reasoning for this is that the fuel acts as a coolant for the fuel pump so i tend to refill when the dots get to around your picture level at the very latest, usually well before & i get between 16 & 22L in occasionally a tad higher, i strayed into the mid 30's once due to the fuel light incident lol

it may be all in my head but i just dont want to risk running the pump warm/hot if i can help it - that & i like to know i can just jump in & nip to wherever i need to go without having to factor in a fuel stop if its low.

basically very jealous of them MPG numbers lol and with fuel prices as they are, look after that car (y) - my commute is mixed, B-roads & A-roads through town & a couple of miles of usually nice national A-roads when they aint full of learners & tractors, all of which are dotted along with traffic lights that never seem to be on green for me lol & roundabouts ( around 16 roundabouts - jeeze, more than 1 per mile :mad: - wish i never bothered counting em now )

just as a change every once in a while i do alter the route from the shortest of 15miles to a good motorway run just to let the DPF get a clearout & it turns to a 53 mile or thereabouts journey, taking in the sights of the M62, A1, M18 ( driven in 3rd gear @ 50ish mph for the high heat to do the DPF clean ) & then the M1 for the engine cooldown before i step off the motorway & join the traffic for the last mile to work lol. - always get a couple of extra MPG when i have done this journey as its a good motorway stint to increase the average lol

on my last car i did tend to let that run down till the fuel light before sticking £20 in as my commute was 5 miles then so needing the fuel was less of an issue as i could leggit if needed & you got far more petrol for ur money then ( think it was about 83p per L then , aggggh, those were the days lol ) but it did almost cause me some grief one day coming back from the coast, decided to step off the motorway mid journey & countryside it home as it was nice, had the windows down, music up & never heard the 50 mile warning, or the 25, finally saw the fuel light with around 10 miles range left & started to worry somewhat as erm, i had about 25 miles left till i got back to civilisation again. i drove on 0 miles for some time & just as i pulled into the petrol station did the vehicle finally start to stutter from lack of fuel - only for a moment due to the ramp at the entrance - thanked the car for doing so well by brimming the tank & had to ask the fuel station attendant when that particular pump was last inspected as i managed to get a smidge over 62L of fuel into the car. Whats the problem with that i hear you ask, well it was a 58L fuel tank lol

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well my MPG has been improving the more i drive.... 2007 PSA 1560 120kmiles
started out 30s...

first log run to the S Coast from the midlands got 54.5 or there abouts....
Swapped teh wheels from 18" with rubber bands to 16" with a more comfortable ride
Last run to S Coast 64.9
I'm quite impressed...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well just come down again to S Coast... 70.9 mpg

Is there an optimum speed or driving style?
Do people maintain their speed even going up and down hills?
I simply set Cruise control and away I go....
Once on the Motorway think I only have about 3 changes at junction Islands, so can maintain a constant speed and momentum... Luckily I never hit traffic
(I know there are Hypermiler forums - but just seeing what other Mini drivers do...)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven’t got cruise so takes a bit of careful foot management. I sit at 72mpg on the motorway. If I drop to 65 I’d probably get 80mpg. Just smooth driving reading the road ahead works well for me. I never have to slow down and speed back up. Roll into roundabout using as little brake as possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts