MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Mini Crazy
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondered if u guys were consuming as much petrol as me, anyone who knows can u post your average mpg ?

my av is 32.1 but was at 30.7 for ages. i get about 300 miles from a full tank.

·
Ecstatic new JCW owner!
2,013 Posts
35mpg at the moment, mostly commuting which is half town driving, half motorway. I think the MC's consumption is ok for a warm hatch.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Think luke warm at best..heh.

Interesting to see the figures, 35 isn't bad at all. Whats the manufacturers quoted? I might get a Superchip purely to help the fuel figures a bit..

-Rob

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
It totally depends on the driving conditions (clear road, around town, etc) and your driving style. My MPG ranges between 22 MPG (Johnny-Lead-Foot around town) and 50+ MPG (smooth-cruise at 60 MPH).

·
Registered
56 Posts
My average is 37.1mpg. This is from a combo of HARD motorway driving, city slicking and driving around windy country roads during MINI adventures! ;)

Bless my Cooper!

xx :black: xx

·
racing is in my blood
203 Posts
average between 24 and 28mpg. driving very carefully, get about 34-36.
tried a wee experiment a while ago to see what it did when i booted it. faintly shocking that it was knocking back optimax at 9mpg!
that was pretty heavy footed stuff but even so! it's a 1.6litre hatch weighing just over a ton!

·
Registered
36 Posts
tuscan_thunder said:
average between 24 and 28mpg. driving very carefully, get about 34-36.
tried a wee experiment a while ago to see what it did when i booted it. faintly shocking that it was knocking back optimax at 9mpg!
that was pretty heavy footed stuff but even so! it's a 1.6litre hatch weighing just over a ton!
i use just normal shell unleaded and gettin 37.9 mpg thats driving the m69 and into leicester town centre everyday and back, i tried optimax for about a month and it was much lower than that dunno why, it must just burn faster.

·
racing is in my blood
203 Posts
when i know i'm going to drive quickly i use esso super-unleaded or optimax. most of the time i use esso 95 unleaded (esso is closest to my house). doesn't seem to make a difference to consumption which fuel i use, just my style of driving.

9 mpg was the lowest i've had. using 95octane, driving pretty hard i've had about 11 or 12 mpg but didn't meaure accurately enough to say definitively.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi

We are getting between 40 to 42 mpg (calculated) at present on a mixture of town, motorway and fast A roads. Only done 1600 miles at present (05 model) so haven't fully explored the full rev range as yet.

This was the sort of Mpg we we expecting as we don't use the air con very much, only the sunroof and drive fairly sensibly and within sight of the speed limits!

Splashed100

·
Registered
34 Posts
When you quote the miles to a tank are you quoting it from full till the red LED goes on or are until the car cuts out (not recommended) :confused:
I get around 250 miles from full until LED lights up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think people are either quoting their OBC or dividing how many miles they drove from the last time they filled up by the number of gallons needed to fill the tank once again...

·
Registered
888 Posts
As the others say, completely depends on driving. I get about 30 around town, 40+ on the motorway if i stay at 70ish. Can get just about 400 miles on tank if i'm very gentle and stick to motorways!
My new one (2 weeks old) so far seems slightly more economical than my 2001 model - even though its still running in.

·
Registered
765 Posts
36/37 mpg on average. It doesn't seem to make any difference if I use Optimax or not, in fact I'm thinking of kicking it into touch as it seems to make no difference to performance either - and I like to boot it about. Usually I get about 330 miles before the red light comes on. God knows how hard you must have been screwing it to get only 9mpg!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
OBC reckons I was getting around 48MPG at the weekend - have just finished 'running in' and was following other half in a classic Austin Healey Sprite on the way home from a road rally - so I was doing about 45 - 50 MPH for ages!!!!! MPG has dropped to mid-30's since getting back up to speed tho!!!

·
totally sure!
25,310 Posts
I sadly don't have one of these on board computers, not sure why really!

I am a London driver and as you are all aware Londons roads are gridlocked :mad: If I get 200 miles to a very full tank I think I have done well. On a motorway I can double that to about 400 plus miles :D

·
Now with S power!
23,915 Posts
Eeked just over 450 miles out of the tank on a careful drive down to brighton. boring tho. trip said 47mpg for the run but including either side i did 44.8mpg true mpg

·
Registered
658 Posts
Prowse said:
It totally depends on the driving conditions (clear road, around town, etc) and your driving style. My MPG ranges between 22 MPG (Johnny-Lead-Foot around town) and 50+ MPG (smooth-cruise at 60 MPH).

Spot on, Prowse. It depends on a lot of driving conditions. 50 mpg is excellent, even if it's an Imperial gallon, compared to the U.S. gallon. My best mileage was at 38+ mpg driving on highway on 5th gear at a speed range of 65-70 mph. I can get almost 400 miles on my MC with one or more gallons on reserve.

Whenever the red fuel icon lights up (indicating that you have about 2 gallons in reserve), I try not to drive more than 30 additional miles to the next gas station.

·
Registered
79 Posts
400 miles to a tank ?

I drive a ONE, but that shouldn't make that much difference eh ? :confused:

I thought that I was doing quite well with fuel consumption, especially since I just had my most miles to the tank over last weekend when I went down to Olympia for the ski show.

Usually I get 330 miles to a tank of mixed driving, but at the weekend with lots of motorway work ( 70 - 75 mph) got almost 355. So to get 400 miles is << WOW !! >> :D

Presumably MO & MC have the same tank size ?

Picking up on the Optimax / Ultimate mentioned .... on my previous car it did seem to make a difference to performance and slightly better mpg, but nothing earth shattering. I have tried both on my ONE and can find no change whatsoever. I use Tesco, since I am lead to believe that it comes from the same place as branded petrols ( I work in transport ) and so can't be that different from their own brands selling for more ?

·
Registered
641 Posts
I average around 33 MPG when driving to and from work which involves about 20 minutes of queing in traffic for the last few miles of my 13 mile journey. On a long journey on A roads the most I've seen is 37 MPG, however I do like to use the performance a bit using the revs to accellerate. On the motorway I tend to get around 32 to the gallon, but I do tend to cruise at around 85 - 90mph( thats unless you are a policeman reading this in whoch case I never ever exceed 70MPH officer, honest ;) )

1 - 20 of 34 Posts