MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

with the recent thread of MINI Performance tuning being so expensive here is a way to save some serious money or to spend some money on other mods.

Important:
As of now.....MINIs built after week 46 in 04 a tuning file is in development. Those cars received a new ECU version. CarTune is already working with them. It was reported that the earlier CarTune version did not work. Please stay tuned. As soon as the tuning for those cars is available I will remove the part of post #1.

MTH http://www.mth-powerchip.de/ is a company in Germany which have been doing Chiptuning for quite a while now. They offer cheap ECU flashes for all kinds of cars and for the MINI Cooper and Cooper S too. The cost is 60Euros. The cost is actually not for the flash itself.....it is the license fee for the software you have to use which is CarTune. Here is how it works:

1. You have to get a cable or know someone that has a cable that hooks up to OBDII. You should have an ISO 9141 Interface but a straight thru cable worked which was posted in another thread on NAM by Macncheese in this thread http://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ead.php?t=27803. You are able to get a cable from this source and it was reported that they accept PayPal. http://www.obd-interface.de/pages/m...erface_eng.html The prices are now listed in US $.

There is a cable supplier in Canada that has a working solution. http://www.sensolutions.com/

Added Info:
Technical Specs for Sensolution cable:
www.sensolutions.com/pdf/glossy/MONO-COM_flyer.pdf

Pricing update:
Pricing: starting Nov 1st pricing for the MONO-COM has been changed to $99.50 CAD. Shipping to the US remains at $22.50 CAD.

USB Version
A USB version will be released as well (3-4 weeks). Pricing $129.50 CAD.

Over the next week or so, they will be accepting US funds payment for MC/VISA - and PayPall. Cost in US funds will be: MONO-COM $ 84.50
MONO-USB $ 109.50
Shipping anywhere in the US $ 18.50

Check www.xe.com for currency exchange rates.

2. You need to register with MTH on their website http://www.mth-powerchip.de/. You will get a confirmation email with User account and password. Once you have that you are able to pay via Credit Card and download the CarTune software. Make sure you download the software once you paid. You will also have to generate a Code at the same time you pay. For the code to be generated you need to enter your VIN#. This VIN# has to be from the car that receives the ECU flash otherwise it will not work and CarTune will report an error. If you enter the VIN make sure that the caracters are upper case.

Important:

You will receive a payment confirmation email. Keep it!!!! If something goes wrong or specially you double pay this is the only way that MTH can refund the money. Each transaction get a unique transaction number. Franz can only search by this number so this is why it is so important that you keep that email. It is your receipt of payment. Without that email a refund is not possible.

3. Now that you have the cable and the software with your VIN# dependent code you can hook up a computer and car with the cable. The ignition has to be on. Once everything is hooked up correctly you should be able to hit the ID key and the empty fields should get populated with the ECU info of the car attached to the computer. This is when you download the ECU and save it as a file. The software comes in English and German and is easy to use. Once you save that original file you have to send that to MTH via emai. He uses that file to modify.

Update:

Please be advised that the 60 Euro MTH Flash is only for all versions of MINIs and that the price is only for members of Internet communities.
When you send your files please tell MTH from which Internet Forum you are and what your UserID is.
If Franz Hoelzl is not on vacation the turn around time should be within 48 hours. Please do not expect your files back on the weekend if you send them in on Saturday.

The flash is not detectable by BMW (dealer)....well if they want to find out and they are connected to Munich the technician in Munich can find out. You can upload the original and custom file as often as you want. BMW can only do that 15 times. The ECU has a counter. CarTune bypasses it.

Update:
CarTune now is available without timeout. So there should be no more 2006 errors.
Once installed and activated you can transfer CarTune to another PC without MTHs involvement. The CarTune version on the MTH website might still be the timeout version.
If this is the case you can PM me for the version without timeout. This version is not a newer CarTune version however.

Here is how the actication works:
Once you extract CarTune and execute it you will see a box poping up. This is for activating CarTune. In the lower portion you will see Send Codes. Press this and a new email message pops up with the info of you CarTune version.
The email is already addressed to MTH.
You just need to click "Send" and wait for a reply with the activation code that you have to enter to unlock CarTune.

To transfer the license to another computer:

You need to extract the original CarTune Zip to the new computer.
Then execute CarTune. You now will see the activation program. You need to write down the Site Code which you will find in the upper left corner.

Take that info to the computer that has the activated version of CarTune. Make sure that you have your activation code copied so that you can paste it into the filed.

At the computer with the registered version of CarTune:
Execute CarTune.
Select "Transfer License" and paste in the original activation code.
Now enter the new Site Code and click continue. A warning box pops up indicating that you are about to transfer the license. Select "Ok" and a small window pops up with the new activation code.

I tested this and it works. The only problem is that you have to maintain the order on how to do it on the computer with the original activated CarTune otherwise it will just start the app.

Reported problems on German sites are:
With WIN 2K or XP you need to make sure that the OS is not doing anything in the background. Get rid of all software that runs in the background for the duration of the flashing.
Win98 is actually better for that.
The USB version of the cable works fine. Serial cable you need to make sure that the Bits Per Second setting on the port is high enough (115200).

Here is a link to OctaneGuy's (Richard) website who has an excellent step by step for XP and USB cable users:
http://www.littlemini.us/technical/mth/index.asp

If the flash stops during the process try to redo it.
Worse case senario is that the car needs to go to BMW and get the ECU flashed by them. I did not hear from anybody that this actually happened.
If you use a Notebook make sure all power saving modes are OFF. This happened to me.
No posted problems with the flash itself. Mostly it is the PC being used that causes problems.

All upgrades are free and Franz is willing to customize his program to suit your needs. If you have something that you would like to try he will do it. Example....
We here in Canada have 94 Sunoco. 94 Sunoco has a 10% Ethanol content. A lot of people have cold start problems with that gas. Franz made me a program that should work better with that gas. I still have to test it....but he will work with me on the feedback I give him. He will do the same for you.
You can also ask for both.....a 91 and 94 program.

Here is what is available. HP ratings are DIN and are subjective to the dyno that was used etc and other mods done to the car.
Fuel ratings: 91 in NA is 95 in Europe and 94 in NA is 98 in Europe

Mini Cooper JCW 91 and 94

MINI Cooper 91 and 94 program 91 @ 130HP and 94 @ 136HP

MINI Cooper S without pulley 94 @ approx 190HP

MINI Cooper S with 15% pulley 91 @ 200HP and 94 @ about 210HP

MINI Cooper S JCW Flash adds about 10-20HP @ 94

Most dyno plots show gains in the 10-15hp mark. I just wanted to let everybody know this. There are plots that show more.....but then again....it always depends on who operates the dyno and what the conditions are.

ASC modification:

Cooper
When the ECU detects slip it will cut off the engine to 50Nm and see if there is still slip. If yes it cuts it back more.

Cooper S
When the ECU detects slip it will cut off the enigne to 100Nm and see if there is still slip. If yes it cuts it back more.

I hope I explained it right. You have to do the lbs conversion from Nm.

FOR CVT customers:

The CVT flash works like this......
lets say you drive 10 mph and you step on the gas. The engine will now rev to 3000 rpm and starts accelerating from there. Franz maps his software to rev up to 3500 rpm and starts accelerating from there. This is done thru the entire band I believe. Hope this helps.
Update for CVT people.......

You need to tell Franz if you want the tranny mod in the file or not otherwise you will only get the normal CVT flash.
scobib has the flash with the tranny mod.

I attached some Dyno sheets. As you all know......Dyno sheets are........you know :D.
I am not working for or with MTH. Neither do I get paid by MTH and I have a normal job outside the automotive industry. I paid for my program as anybody else would have to do. I strongly feel that the software provided by MTH is as good as any other ECU tuning from other companies. Also.....it is a lot easier to spend about 75$ for a program + cable (200$ total) than sending away your ECU to get a chip soldered in and paying 400-750$. The money you save would already pay for a pulley and installation or you could save it towards something bigger like a head etc. A few weeks ago there was a thread that dealt with the MINI mods being so expensive. Well here you have the opposite.

If you have any questions about the MTH process feel free to Email or PM me. Franz Hoelzl English is not the best and it gets even harder for him if there are some spelling mistakes.....which I most likely have here in my post too.

Added info for MTH CHiptuning parties:
If a club or an individual is interested in hosting a MTH chiptuning party it could be arranged that Franz would be available at a certain time on a weekend to email out modified files.
This has to coordinated though because of possible time differences and you should have more than 5 cars.

I talked to Paul about this post just to make sure that I do not break any rules.

Additional information can be obtained in this thread:

Thanks,

Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I opened this thread again so that people can post about their problems with the process.
If new things come up I will update post #1 as I did on NAM.

I would appreciate though that this thread is only used for problems and that the questions are posted after post #1 was read.
A lot of questions in the other MTH thread were posted several times.

Alex

·
MINI crazy!
303 Posts
Hi Alex,

Which cable should I order from www.sensolutions.com ? :confused:

I'm from Canada aswell so this website would save me duty fees...

Thank you!

Let's motor :dark:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The official name of the unit is: (MONO-COM ISO 9141 RS232 Single K line diagnostic interface adapter).

Alex

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Updated post #1 with infos for people that want to host a MTH chiptuning party.

Alex

·
Registered
76 Posts
Edit- Figured it out had to restart the program after changing com ports :rolleyes:
sent off the file and got the "E-Mail ist erfolgsreich geschickt" message which according to Babblefish means "E-Mail is success-rich skillful" which I think is a good thing :)

I'm trying to use and old windows 95 machine and even though Cartunes runs it just lfreezes when it hits the proper COM port. Anyone have any success with Win95 ?

Thanks

·
Twi§ted Roads
7,956 Posts
Rustle said:
I'm trying to use and old windows 95 machine and even though Cartunes runs it just lfreezes when it hits the proper COM port. Anyone have any success with Win95 ?
My only suggestion would be to make sure that you shut down as many processes as possible (any applications running in the system tray...antivirus, etc.). Also try setting your FIFO buffers lower via <device manager> <ports> <com port (#)> <advanced port settings>.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
News:

It seems that the current version of Cartune does not work anymore on 05s build after week 46 in 04. Franz is aware of the problem and working on it.

Alex

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm on day 6 waiting on a new MTH file from Franz. Is he still working on the backlog from his vacation or should I re-send the files ?

-R

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am still waiting also, been almost 2 weeks with no responce whatsoever. I have sent the files and 2 emails....doesnt look good.

Anyone have any info on this situation ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Franz is still working on the waiting list. He told me today that he might have still 20 people left to do. If you are still waiting by coming Tuesday please resend your files but please wait until Teusday. It does not help the situation by sending them mutliple times because it gets hard for him to keep track what was done and what not.

IMPORTANT:

Franz will close his shop for 4 weeks at Christmas from the 20th of December until the 17th of January. Please do not expect that files will be returned in that time.
Franz wants to finish up some projects and tries to work on a system that will allow you to download your own modified files form a server if he has time left. He can only do this if he can focus on his projects.

Thanks,
Alex

·
No more MINI
126 Posts
I have got the cable for the Mod, and I am planing to do the mod by next weekend (Dec 4th or 5th) I havent paid yet but I will do that by Dec first, I hope there will not be a delay for the file to be sent from Franz, because am planning a MTH-Tunning Gathering with Montrealers and it wouldnt be fun if people miss the gathering for a delay in recieving the files. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Updated post #1 with Info on the newer ECU found on 05 models built after week 46 in 04.

Please....do not use this thread for asking about why your files did not arrive yet. There are several MTH threads that could be used for that. I would like to keep this thread for problems only so that people (me and others) can reply to help others get their cars chipped.

Thanks,
Alex

·
No more MINI
126 Posts
Upload Complete!!!

Files recieved 2 days after I submitted the Original files. We did it 3 people at a time and all 3 of us recieved it almost in the same day.

HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !

GO FOR IT AND DONT THINK TWICE !! :D :D :D

·
I LUV my MINI
117 Posts
Any News of 05 version

Hi All

Has anyone heard any news of when the software for the 05 November on from after week 46 build cars. I have all the equipment needed for car and have sent Franz my files. Now I am just waiting for the re-mapped ecu files. I seem to be having probs with car as at the moment the 05 model is so differnt from the previous model.......still waiting for harness to come out so I can fit my head unit and work it with MFSW.

Any news appreciated.. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In fairness to MINI2 I will stop supporting MTH on MINI2 thru the forum and PMs.

All the info is posted on MINI2 about the mod and how to resolve computer problems.
A lot of members did the conversion that are able to help.

Regards,
Alex

·
MINI crazy!
303 Posts
AlexN,

You did a lot more than you had to do! Great work and don't worry, people will understand your point of view! ;)

You should be proud to have introduced MTH to a lot of motorers!

U rock!

DarkMCS

1 - 20 of 28 Posts