MINI Cooper Forum banner
601 - 620 of 758 Posts

· MINI2 Jedi Master
1,237 Posts
grnmene said:
Kotz -
I think insurance issues should be the last thing on your mind.....

....And insurance companies are even worse than dealers when it comes to mods....

The chances of an insurance company finding a remapped ECU have to be pretty slim, but if they do you said it yourself - they are worse than dealers. You might not only face the costs of your car but possibly the cost of other cars. I'm not judging or anything (I nearly got this done myself) but to say insurance should be the last thing on your mind :confused: ..... if you were to crash I can't help but think your opinion would change. Insurance issues have to be the biggest concern with this mod, as they carry the biggest risk.

· Registered
76 Posts
I took my MTH MINI to the dealer today for non ECU maintainence ... so I didn't flash back to the original file. Turns out there is new software and they want to update my ECU ..oops!
But I figured that they would just overwrite the MTH code and I would just have to re-read it and send it to Franz for a new file.
Well after several hours they came and told me that their diagnostic computer FRIED after they read the data from my car and now it won't write to my ECU :mad:
They said they didn't know what the problem was :rolleyes: and it might take until next week to get it fixed ... now I'm stuck driving a KIA SUV the size of a school bus which was all the rental place had left :(

Just a word of warning to anyone taking their car to the dealership ....

-R

· Mr 120d Sport
4,572 Posts
wobert123 said:
I know your comment's tongue in cheek, but Stu's just trying to make sure everyone knows where they stand on this mod.

If the insurer wants to pursue an investigation following an accident then they are free to do that, before paying out on a claim.

If after consideration you think it's worth doing and want to "risk" not telling your insurance then that's your choice.

You know the risks, you takes your choice:

Potentially..... accident = loss of car + big bill for 3rd party claims.

Just don't come and crash into me that's all! :D :D :D :D

I know it's off topic, but when I put my car in, to have stripes and a roof flag done, my insurer stated, on checking that the mod was OK with them, that they would not insure me with them on the car.

So I had to postpone the work, until after my insurance renewal was done, with another insurer who would cover the mods.

Personally, I'm not prepared to drive around with the potential liability of the loss of my car and a large bill for damages! (IMHO)

Robert
Hey Badboyz.....

here's my post from c10 pages back........:rolleyes:

· Banned
49,960 Posts
badboyzbadboyz said:
The chances of an insurance company finding a remapped ECU have to be pretty slim, but if they do you said it yourself - they are worse than dealers. You might not only face the costs of your car but possibly the cost of other cars. I'm not judging or anything (I nearly got this done myself) but to say insurance should be the last thing on your mind :confused: ..... if you were to crash I can't help but think your opinion would change. Insurance issues have to be the biggest concern with this mod, as they carry the biggest risk.
If your car has mods like exhaust or intake there is more chance that they will check out the ECU.

But we all know at the end of the day, if you are in an accident Insurance companies are scum and will look for anyway to get out of paying from tints to white lights, anything at all.

I have information from a really good friend that car manufacturers are being asked more and more to help check software and compare to stock.

So there is no question over this, just a few people out there that think its a myth, the only myth is that re-maps are undectable;)

· 6X therapist
13,832 Posts
snek said:
No insurance company in the States that I know of would go looking through the ECU. In a few cases, the police has used the Event Data Recorder (EDR otherwise referred to as "black box") activated by the air bag deployment. It allows for subsequent retrieval of data such as vehicle speed, seat belt use, and brake application - bot not engine mods.

As for warranty, I know my dealer wouldn't give me away.
I think you will find that MINI EDR, carries a lot more data about vehicle vital signs in the seconds before a problem than you might think.

· MINIBrit
2,196 Posts
Has anyone (Alex?) heard anything from Franz recently. I uploaded my edu image to him on Tuesday but have not yet received any acknowledgement or reply.

· Engine Tester
9 Posts
n0uk said:
Has anyone (Alex?) heard anything from Franz recently. I uploaded my edu image to him on Tuesday but have not yet received any acknowledgement or reply.
Hi to everyone, I have the same problem with n0uk. I've send the ecu files 6 days ago and a friend of mine 8 days ago, but without a reply since today. :(
Does anyone know what's going on? :confused:

· Registered
10 Posts
Hi Alex,

I have mth now for 2 weeks and cannot imagine the car without it. I have now bought an alta intake. Do I have to wait for Franz to send a new file before I install the alta, or can I go ahead and install it?

Been waiting since Thurs. :)

Thanks

· Registered
141 Posts
Rakey said:
I have information from a really good friend that car manufacturers are being asked more and more to help check software and compare to stock.

So there is no question over this, just a few people out there that think its a myth, the only myth is that re-maps are undectable;)
You raise an interesting point. One of our Volvo customers with our ECU upgrade was in an accident after which the ECU was sent to Volvo Sweden on request from the police and insurance. When it came back, Volvo reported that they could not find any modified software. So the insurance company then had to ask the customer what was actually done. And so there you have it - it is possible that your ECU upgrade will be undetectable.

Adam.

ps. I'm not condoning insurance fraud, but because of this some insurance companies don't charge premiums for ECU upgrades simply because they cannot be policed.

· Registered
123 Posts
I am away on a course this week so response from me might be slow.
About the intake you should be fine I think,

I will ask Franz when I get the chance about the ECU file to get a proper answer.

BTW...I received all PMs and will forward the names to Franz tonight.

Alex

· Proud MINI driver
97 Posts
Hi Alex ;),

it seems that at the moment Franz is quite busy and can't process all the requests he receive :rolleyes:. Since I'm ready to send him my ECU files, do you think it's safer for me if I wait a bit, let's say a week ?

· Mulberry Red Mini 40
2013 R55 Bond Street
1,038 Posts
Nice little mod for the ONE this :cool: Noticeable improvement at low revs too which was unexpected.

No problems with software on a laptop running W2000, serial port and all settings as recommended. Not a massive cost for insurance either.

Well happy, I will be keeping this, thanks to AlexN and Franz.

601 - 620 of 758 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.