MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MTH MCS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 MCS with 2,500 miles on it.
Every day I pull out from work and have to make a left turn across 4 lanes of traffic. I have a choice.
1. Leave the ASC on and either wait for the road to be totally clear or take my life in my hands as the ASC kills the engine halfway across.
2. Switch the ASC off and leave a large blue cloud and 1,000 miles of tire wear from my front left tire.

So I decided to assume that the MTH would do nothing for my performance but the $75.00 for the ASC modification alone would be worth it if it did half of what people were touting.

The cable was easy to purchase and came surprisingly quickly 4 business days.

The MTH web site was a little difficult to follow but I have dealt with much worse.

The software was much easier to use than the web site, I was happily surprised. I did however have to tell the program I had Com 5 then change it back to Com 1 to make it work, but I had already been warned so no big deal.

The turn around from Franz took less than 48 hours and I feel that you couldn't ask for better.

Driving impressions.
I loaded it in my workplace parking lot It is a little nerve racking as it takes about 5 mins to load and you are looking at your warning lights trying to figure out if any are new! (Yes the temp warning light will always come on with the ignition without the engine running)

I pulled out across the aforementioned road with the ASC on and . . .No squeal or dead engine!
It drove like a real car!
The MTH had done everything I had expected. anything else would be gravy.

For those of you that have standard MCS you know that 3,000 rpm is not much fun. Fun starts mid to high 3000's and real fun starts at 4000 rpm well now fun starts at 3000 and real fun kicks in shortly afterward, i was pleasantly surprised.
4th gear can now be used for passing without the heart stopping drama of worrying about "are you going to pass in time? Is he going to accelerate? should I have chosen a lower gear?"

I actually heard the "Burble" that everyone talks about on the way in this morning!

On the down side.
I have many more Black soot spots on my rear hatch than i had before.
My MPG.
Before i did the upgrade I reset my MPG computer and drove to and from work and got 26.6MPG
After I did the Upgrade I reset my MPG computer and drove to and from work and got 25.2MPG.
But this is America and Gas is still cheaper than bottled water so who cares.

Is it a different car? A resounding No, but it is somewhat improved.
Is it for everyone? Again a resounding No. but if you like to corner a little aggressively and are not too bothered by a 1MPG loss in fuel economy, Go for it.
Is it worth it?
Would i do it again? A whole hearted YES Absolutely.

If requested I will provide another review after 500 miles.

This is just MHO I figured I would put in my 2 Cents worth.
And yes I now have the bug and want a 15% pulley upgrade.

Robert

·
Registered
700 Posts
Regarding the tire spin upon acceleration, couldn't you try to feather the throttle to minimize wheel spin? The car is pretty fast off the line that way, too, surely fast enough to get you out of the way of trouble crossing lanes.

I have a restored '70 Ford Mustang with over 350 HP and a relatively light weight rear end, it creates TONS of wheel spin. I had to learn how to carefully feather the throttle in order to get maximum acceleration. It takes practice. Lots of powerful cars without traction control and fancy, computerized traction systems have this same problem.

We just have to learn how to drive the car. I think relying on computerized driving systems takes away from the overall driving experience. I'd never relinquish control of the car to a computer.

Maybe it's just a generational thing?

·
MTH MCS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mini Wheelspin

vagt6 said:
Regarding the tire spin upon acceleration, couldn't you try to feather the throttle to minimize wheel spin? The car is pretty fast off the line that way, too, surely fast enough to get you out of the way of trouble crossing lanes.

I have a restored '70 Ford Mustang with over 350 HP and a relatively light weight rear end, it creates TONS of wheel spin. I had to learn how to carefully feather the throttle in order to get maximum acceleration. It takes practice. Lots of powerful cars without traction control and fancy, computerized traction systems have this same problem.

We just have to learn how to drive the car. I think relying on computerized driving systems takes away from the overall driving experience. I'd never relinquish control of the car to a computer.

Maybe it's just a generational thing?
You could be right about getting used to it. My last car was an Acura (Honda) Integra that had 208BHP at the wheels but it had a Quaif in it and you could feather the accelerator to control the wheel spin, but it had much more lower end grunt.
I find that with the Mini I have to bring the revs up and try to play with the clutch to control the spinning and if the ASC catches the spin before you do it cuts the engine. The engine doesn't recover quick enough to get you out of danger.
you are only 4 years older than me so i don't think it is generational but more of a conditioning thing. I am used to feathering the throttle but not the clutch (Yet).
I don't find the throttle responsive enough to feather it as I am used to.
Just MHO though. :confused:

·
Registered
123 Posts
snek said:
Today I registered on the MTH website and I got... nothing. I sent 2 e-mails and an alternate e-mail address and still nothing. No reply, no confirmation... :(
Do not worry,

you will get a reply. If Franz would have to feed himself with just supplying the MINI crowd he could close his shop. He received a bunch of mails and he will look after them this weekend.

Alex

·
MTH MCS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even the Wife noticed

The wife took the Mini out shopping this weekend (I had somehow neglected to tell her about the upgrade :eek: )
Normally she wouldn't notice if it even had wheels on but this time she said "What happened to the mini? Is the break in period over? It feels much faster"

Take that as a thumbs up in a blind study.
It seems to get better every mile :D :D :D :D :indi:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts