MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Cooperama? Who's he?
688 Posts
Seen the R56 in the flesh, close-up & can't see why people have such vehement dislike of it, but this traveller is starting to look decidedly odd.

Really don't like it at all - just doesn't look right:(

·
Cyber Police
9,618 Posts
So to the rear... interesting to see how the number plate is going to be bumper mounted.... this will be interesting on S versions with a twin centerer exit exhaust. Unfortunately the original bumperless rear design was a non-starter as US bumper legislation dictates that a bumper must be able to absorb an impact of 6mph without causing damage to the vehicle. The tailgate doors are bound to be quite funky with a predictably large MINI wings logo.
If you look at shots of the S and the concepts there all 2 slip exhausts. Other wise the numberplate would have to go where the big badge would be. Like in the other spy shot and also would have an overhang when the boot is open.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,153 Posts
All this talk of it looking like a hearse doesn't do any justice to the great strides that coach builders have made in recent years to build interesting and "stylish" hearses :rolleyes:

Look at how much effort they put in now:

Okay, so the second one's ugly, but 10/10 for effort!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
No sir, I don't like it.

It does look like a hearse, I agree. A black 300C touring also looks like a hearse, but they look great!

If I were a midget and died, i wanna go in the back of one of these!!!

You don't buy a MINI if you give half a damn about passengers, do you?
Believe it or not mate... it is known for MINI owners to breed :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'm telling you getting 2 kids in and out of car seats in the back of a MINI is possible, but it's not something you'd want to all the time.

I'll be waiting to seeing a shiny version of the car before I make our decision. ;)

Pricing will obviously be a factor too but I've *****ed enough about that elsewhere :eek:

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,153 Posts
I didn't realise that there was more than one shot of it on that site.

For everyone else like me, here's the back of the car:

I love estate cars
; I 've had a succession of them since 1986:
2 x Montego estates,
3 x Citroen XM estates (all-time-favourite estate cars!),
2 x Peugeot 405 estates,
1 x Peugeot 406 estate,
1 x Citroen C5 estate,
and 2 x Volvo V70 estates.

I find estates nearly always look better than the cars they are based on (especially the Montego!) and I look forward to an estate being launched, especially the Traveller. However, it's proven an exception, this is one ugly estate car :(

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Glad its not just me then. I didn't read the whole thread fully.

Yeah but those are Merecedes and Jaguar. Very nice for a hearse. Saw a old vauxhall C reg hearse the other day. That wasn't very nice. Not much design in that one!

·
GP 0904
353 Posts
I'm more interested in seeing the finished product. It won't look as bad as these prototype shots.
Why?

Do you know something we don't?

Frankly Iam very unimpressed with it as it is! I was looking forward to something a little more imaginative, so far it's a great disappointment.

I was definitely a future purchaser until I saw these pics ... come on BMW even your '1' series has more appeal than this!!! :eek:

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,153 Posts
come on BMW even your '1' series has more appeal than this!!! :eek:
Good grief, even I didn't go that far! :eek:

But, now you mention it, you're right! At least the 1 Series has curves.

·
50 PMs no sig group
22,285 Posts
Why?

Do you know something we don't?

Frankly Iam very unimpressed with it as it is! I was looking forward to something a little more imaginative, so far it's a great disappointment.

I was definitely a future purchaser until I saw these pics ... come on BMW even your '1' series has more appeal than this!!! :eek:
No, but the car is still under development so I don't the exterior is in its final form.

·
Crakle and pop!!
438 Posts
Must say the R56 has grown on me and i will eventually purchase one when i get bored with my cooper however like previously mentioned im not a fan of the "boat" roof. It looks a little squarer then i imagined, i wonder how much (if any) it changes?

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,153 Posts
i wonder how much (if any) it changes?
With the disguising panels removed, it will probably have a back end that looks more like this, although the waste line will be higher as a result of the changes on the R56. Oh, it will have a nice glossy paint job as well:

So, expect only very minor changes and, at this very late stage, absolutely nothing that will change the basic shape that you see in the spy shots :( Anything else is probably just wishful thinking...

21 - 40 of 93 Posts