MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With winter looming (the first one for my Cooper) I am contemplating installing mud flaps, at least on the front where I think they will be of the most benefit. With the rears being so close to the hatch I doubt that rear flaps will prevent much if any crud from being deposited on the hatch.
Any opinions on this?
Also for a DIYer, is one required to remove the wheel to install the flaps?
Thanks. :)

·
1veryhappyowner
90 Posts
The mudflaps that I have seen on MINI's over here in the UK do not look very good - in fact they look very cheap and tacky and do not even seem to fit well. Don't know if they reduce the spray up the car though.

·
Peoples Republic Of Cork
1,150 Posts
I have used the 'factory ' mudflaps on my MINIs and even though they are a definite help NOTHING will stop the build up of muck on the rear of the car , I think the design causes a vortex which sucks up all available s**t from the roads not a MINI thing as most hatchbacks have the same problem , just keep washing and waxing .
Gerard

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I thought that nothing would stop the build-up of crud you get on the back hatch, but was more interested to know how effective the front mud flaps were, and if you need to remove the wheel to install?

·
Registered
79 Posts
its rear spoilers ....

MINNOW said:
but was more interested to know how effective the front mud flaps were, and if you need to remove the wheel to install?
I fitted both front & rear mudflaps to mine since I found that when I went from 15" to 16" rims the rear back corner got a lot of 'flick up' on the rear quarter panel. Also since my intention was to increase tyre width from 195 to 205 that this would increase the problem further.

Fitting either front or rear requires you to remove the roadwheels. Its a very easy job to fit 'em though

They do help the 'flick up' on the back quarter, but if the road is very muddy ( lots of farmers round here are digging beet or spuds now and the roads are plastered !!!) the sides of the car still get covered from the front wheels.

Thanks Benj (
BENJ said:
The mudflaps that I have seen on MINI's over here in the UK do not look very good - in fact they look very cheap and tacky and do not even seem to fit well. .
;) but I reckon mine fit well and look pretty cool :D

A few months after putting mudflaps on I had a rear Cooper spoiler fitted. That did INCREASE the amount of spray etc deposited on the back hatch / window. It seems to suck leaves up from under the car and they hover around the back window almost suspended.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
The rears look ugly and don't help your car stay clean.

But the fronts are another story. They are very cheap and therefore very much worth it. They do keep the side of your car a bit cleaner. Installation is easy and you can do it without removing the wheels; just turn them all the way to one side and then the other so you can get to the points you need to drill and screw.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I installed the front mud flaps in hopes of preventing the crud thrown on the sides in Winter. They were around $12 and easy to install myself. You don't need to remove the front wheels just turn them so you can get access. You don't really need to drill either. The plastic is soft and a screw driver will work fine. That being said, IMO they don't offer much help in stopping the salt and snow thrown onto the sides of the car. The front flaps look O.K so I'll leave them on. If I had known their of little benefit I would not have installed them.
Ken

·
Registered
411 Posts
Mud Flaps

I have fitted them to my first two Coopers and found them to be good and do the jjob they are designed for .... Better fitting them on yourself as a little time and care makes it look 100 time better than the dealer will do (time is ££$$$$). I can only fit them to the front on my new HBCS as The rear do not fit the S and rag top ...as yet !!

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
i am,.... keep me posted... might even get a set of red ones! everyone knows red makes any car EXTRA fast! :D :p

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
I have the front mud flaps and they seem to be of some benefit. I would add them to a new one when and if...... But the rears are of no use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.