MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
...where´s the any-key?
Joined
·
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the Multi-functional steering wheel work with a third party stereo?

I am being tempted into adding one (that is if I still can) to my spec, but was wondering whether or not it only works with the factory fitted units.

LMB:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,722 Posts
I doubt it would. I know that on SONY head units can buy a 'JOYSTICK', it is mounted on the side of the steering colum & you control the head unit from that. Minty has got one of these JOYSTICKS in his car :D :D :D
 

·
...where´s the any-key?
Joined
·
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
smiffy said:
I doubt it would.
I think so as well. So basically if you get a MFSW and then latter on decide to add you own sound system, the steering wheel is in effect uselss (Well appart from steering that is;))

I know that on SONY head units can buy a 'JOYSTICK', it is mounted on the side of the steering colum & you control the head unit from that. Minty has got one of these JOYSTICKS in his car :D :D :D
I used to have one of those as well...pain in the arse if you ask me. I kept knocking it everytime I got in and out of the car. I have still got it somewhere.

LMB:D
 

·
Moderator & Sponsor
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
LMB said:


I think so as well. So basically if you get a MFSW and then latter on decide to add you own sound system, the steering wheel is in effect uselss (Well appart from steering that is)

LMB:D
Well, some of us are getting the MFSW only because you have to have it with the cruise control option :( - the audio controls on the MFSW are just useless duplication as far as I am concerned.
 

·
Fun on 2 & 4 wheels!
Joined
·
185 Posts
Some audio companies sell adapters which will convert MFSW buttons to work on their own stereos. My friend's Rover 200 Coupe's wheel controls definitely work with his Sony head unit via an adapter. No doubt in time the same sort of thing will be available for MINI's too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,722 Posts
Imstead of using a Joystick could you use a Remote control:confused:
I know that if you had a Pioneer Head Unit you can get a little device that clips on to the steering wheel :)
 

·
Man in the know!
Joined
·
3,957 Posts
Indeed you could smiffy, i was fortunte enuff to get both a joystick, and a remote (both Hi band IR).

I tend to use the joystick more cos its easy to get at and know how it all works using that now. The Remote stays in the side pocket (and vibrates in time to the bass!!) for use on special occasions (setting the clock and bass settings etc)

Happy new Year everyone
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,722 Posts
Use the remote to show off at MINI MEETS :D :D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Speaking of steering wheels....

Does anyone know of any aftermarket steering-wheels that will fit in the Mini? And that pref. contain an airbag.

If there's one thing I'de really like to have changed in the Mini - it would have to be the steering wheel - it's bog ugly - IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,722 Posts
I would imagine you can get any aftermarket steering wheel to fit the MINI. Its just the case of getting the right size HUB KIT:) :)
 

·
MINIless MINI2 Master
Joined
·
883 Posts
gazzaman28 said:
Some audio companies sell adapters which will convert MFSW buttons to work on their own stereos. My friend's Rover 200 Coupe's wheel controls definitely work with his Sony head unit via an adapter. No doubt in time the same sort of thing will be available for MINI's too.
An adaptor is probably already available if the radio uses the same connections as the BMW 3 series. What exactly are the audio controls on the MFSW?

Here's a thought - and I claim the patent if nobody's produced something like this before :D - has anyone produced a infra-red adaptor for MFSW controls which means that an MFSW can control the functionality of any head unit with IR control capability?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
MiniMayhem said:

An adaptor is probably already available if the radio uses the same connections as the BMW 3 series. What exactly are the audio controls on the MFSW?

Here's a thought - and I claim the patent if nobody's produced something like this before :D - has anyone produced a infra-red adaptor for MFSW controls which means that an MFSW can control the functionality of any head unit with IR control capability?
The SWI-X is available for your MFSW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
I cant find it now, but there is a forum where an aftermarket has been fitted and works with the MFSW, I am sure that the stereo was the same make as the MINI branded one.

Just wondering also, with the new sports steering wheel on the S, whether this will also have MF capability??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Picture of an MFSW ??? please

Feeling a bit sheepish..... having catagorically stated that a MFSW is over the top for UK (I still say that Cruise control is not required in UK, and that audio buttons can safley be used in the "old way")......

But - it looks so good.... I have one day to go before my options are locked - and am considering one.... I did see some pics on a thread recently - but have spent the past 45 mins trying to find - can anyone help with a picture or two of the BMW MFSW.. ???

Cheers
 

·
MINI defector
Joined
·
13,698 Posts
Re: Picture of an MFSW ??? please

worgy said:
can anyone help with a picture or two of the BMW MFSW.. ???

Cheers
Which model of BMW steering wheel????
Check out the BMW website and look at the image galleries :)

TRY HERE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Re: Re: Picture of an MFSW ??? please

Martin L said:

Which model of BMW steering wheel????
Check out the BMW website and look at the image galleries :)

TRY HERE
Martin L - cheers for that.... I was not aware one had a choice? I assumed there was just the one MINI MFSW - I just noticed a BMW M badge on it... it there a standard MNIN MFSW ?

Cheers
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top