MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went and got me a 2007 cooper S!

i Know it’s gonna probably cost me some money over the next year or two but I’m ok with that. I was absolutely blown away when on the test drive I experienced the sport mode. My god! I almost wanna put red tape on it saying “do not touch!”

However, this post is to say goodbye to MiniDash... my first ever car. An ebay bargain. It helped an old Dad and his daughter have a fun couple of years visiting theme parks and doing lots of shopping trips on the weekend. It wasn’t particularly reliable and I had a lot done to it, quite often it was a money pit but last week, whilst working, I reversed down a country lane at night and hit a log or something. The car looked fine but then I noticed the next few days the boot wasn’t shutting correctly. Today I saw the red boot light come on... so I pulled over, gave the boot a bit of a push and a pull and it litterlaly snapped off if my hand. One of the top hinges broke and after reading on here exactly what that job entails... I realised it’s time for me to call it a day.

Unfortunately it was the one weekend when crypto also crashed and I’d been planning on cashing some of that in when needed and whilst I didn’t have enough in the bank to buy what I really wanted... one of the nice newish Clubmans...I figured I’d settle for the car that I used to drool over when I first properly saw it a couple of years ago. I remember thinking “I’m gonna have one of them one day...” well, todays the day.

Deposit paid, goes in for MOT tomorrow. I pick it up next day or two. Can’t wait! Let the fun and money pit number 2 commence! I need to come up with a name for it... no safe friendly “Mini Dash” like the last one... this is definitely a “beast”!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a heads up on the false economy of buying a cheap high mileage mini...

this is what I have had done to my mini in under 2 years that I owned it.

it was about 105,000 miles when I got it...

125,000 by the time I called it quits today

I had;

New power steering pump £500

Then another new power steering pump because the previous one failed a few days after being fitted. £200

Flashing lights on dash £80

more flashing lights on dash (free)

more flashing lights on dash £180

Cracked thermostat housing leaking coolant £175

Leaking thermostat coolant pipe. £100

Leaking thermostat. £280

Head gasket probably gone so had that stuff put in the radiator for £300. That worked for about 5 months perhaps.

4 new tyres £300

about £2000

and it wasn’t about the money... it was about not being sure you’d get somewhere without breaking down.

anyway, sucker for punishment... bring on the next one.

·
Registered
847 Posts
just a bolt on hinge? I wouldn't be changing a car for that

sounds like some of the above should have been done at the same time saving you a repeat issue? Coolant ....

what's the new money pit?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts