MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MINI2 Regular
Joined
·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I have an april 04 MCS and now winters rolling in iv noticed that my auto rain sensitive windscreen wipers arnt auto at all!! You still have to turn them on everytime it rains. granted they sort the speed out ok but still why do you have to turn them on? Even if you leave the wiper control arm thingy (best desciption i can think of sorry) in the auto position when you turn the car off, when you get back in it you have to turn the wipers off and back on again to get them to work.

Does anybody else experience this? Can anything be done?

thanks
 

·
Yatta!!
Joined
·
8,313 Posts
minEman said:
Hi all.

I have an april 04 MCS and now winters rolling in iv noticed that my auto rain sensitive windscreen wipers arnt auto at all!! You still have to turn them on everytime it rains. granted they sort the speed out ok but still why do you have to turn them on? Even if you leave the wiper control arm thingy (best desciption i can think of sorry) in the auto position when you turn the car off, when you get back in it you have to turn the wipers off and back on again to get them to work.

Does anybody else experience this? Can anything be done?

thanks
This is the same across the BMW range. Maybe they should be highlighted as being auto off.

I suppose if they always went off when the engine was running and there was water on the screen there could be problems - e.g. drive though carwash?
 

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
Joined
·
5,173 Posts
I've had two other cars with auto wipers (Volvo V70 and Citroen C5) and they both worked that way.

Worse still, they are are hopeless! As soon as the wiper blades wear a bit and they start to smear, just a little, they will often go faster and faster (even light rain) and stay there until you turn them off manually!

Great idea, they just don't work :(

Tigger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
I've just ordered a New Cooper with the visibility pack, but mainly for the heated windscreen. When I took a test drive, the rain came on, and I had the wipers switched to their Auto position. Trouble was, they went way too fast (it was only spitting) and as a result, they made one hell of a squeak on a largely dry windscreen.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with their 'speed sensitivity'?

I'll probably just operate them manually when my Cooper arrives.
 

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
Joined
·
5,173 Posts
NIRLN said:
I've just ordered a New Cooper with the visibility pack, but mainly for the heated windscreen. When I took a test drive, the rain came on, and I had the wipers switched to their Auto position. Trouble was, they went way too fast (it was only spitting) and as a result, they made one hell of a squeak on a largely dry windscreen.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with their 'speed sensitivity'?

I'll probably just operate them manually when my Cooper arrives.
Yep, that's just the sort of thing that happens to me. It seems that as soon as the sensor detects a smear of water on the glass it thinks it must be raining hard and puts the wipers on full! Keeps happening to me.

Tigger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,522 Posts
This is deliberate. If you left them on and it froze one night you start the car up and the
wipers turn on but can't move something has to give. Hopefully just a bit of rubber but
maybe your wiper motor :eek:. You'll soon get used to it.
 

·
MINI2 Regular
Joined
·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NIRLN said:
I've just ordered a New Cooper with the visibility pack, but mainly for the heated windscreen. When I took a test drive, the rain came on, and I had the wipers switched to their Auto position. Trouble was, they went way too fast (it was only spitting) and as a result, they made one hell of a squeak on a largely dry windscreen.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with their 'speed sensitivity'?

I'll probably just operate them manually when my Cooper arrives.
The spped works fine once you have turned them on.

I still think if you leave them in the auto position they should still be on when you start the car again. If you have an icey windscreen or are going through the car wash then you could turn them off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
minEman said:
The spped works fine once you have turned them on.

I still think if you leave them in the auto position they should still be on when you start the car again. If you have an icey windscreen or are going through the car wash then you could turn them off.
well u might be right..
but what happens if the driver forgets to turn them off???
also for safety reasons as well.......
 

·
Just along for the ride
Joined
·
698 Posts
ABG said:
I suppose if they always went off when the engine was running and there was water on the screen there could be problems - e.g. drive though carwash?
It's intentional, and it's specifically to prevent damage to the wipers if they are left on all the time. ABG has it right on the head, if the wipers turned on while in a carwash you'd destroy them.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top