MINI Cooper Forum banner

My boot doesn't always shut

2578 Views 19 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  kevina
This has probably been posted before so forgive me.
I have only just found this site after reading about it in EVO last night.
Anyhow, I picked up my new cooper 2 weeks ago and I love it, but sometimes I cannot shut the boot. It just keeps bouncing back up.
Anyone else had this and know how to fix it????

Cheers.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
When I removed the rubber seal to get at parts of the trim, I found that after I had put it back on it took some effort to shut, otherwise would only go onto the first latch. This may not be the cause of your problem, but you could try rearranging the seal slightly to see if it helps...

Dom
Try adjusting the rubber stoppers on each side. They screw in and can be set at different depths. Yours are probably not screwed in enough.
nice one chaps, that was quick.
You really do use this forum well, I will be trawling through it in greater depth.
Next time I pop out for a *** I will check the rubber stoppers on the boot to see if I can screw them in.
Keep you posted.
Just been down to the carpark and found the rubber stoppers. Screwed them in a bit but it still bounced back.
While its open i keep locking and unlocking the car, pressing the boot release and eventually it shuts.
I just think the lock isn't catching somehow????
Hmmm...
Sounds like the catch is not working properly.

Try doing a search for this problem as there maybe another thread somewhere describing the solution.

Looks to me it's going to have to go back to the dealers though.
I know those little handles on the inside of the hatch are for closing it, but anytime I try, I never get enough swing on it to close it fully either - any more effort, and Id be leaving half my arm inside!! I find you always have to give the hatch a final push from the outside.....
I had something similar the other day.

Just got back to my parents house near Nottingham after driving from Leeds. Opened the boot using the remote (hold down for 5 seconds) and the boot popped, then the lock made a ratchet sound.

Came to close it again and the lock seemed to have given up completely - boot wouldn't shut, lock made no attempt at latching round the post, etc.

Got MINI rescue out and he spent about 20 minutes fiddling around with it - cleaning, lubricating, adjusting, etc. When he finished, he did say the boot catch was quite a long way out of adjustment. Seems to be working much better now.

So it might be worth taking it to your friendly dealer and suggesting they look at the catch adjustment? There is at least one other thread I know of that is relevant to this post - have a dig and see what you turn up.

Good luck!
I found one other thread, but it was all about opening your windows and shutting the boot as perhaps the air pressure was too tight or something, sounded pretty far fetched to me.
I will give altwood mini in maidenhead where i got the car a bell, i spoke to him about it quickly week before last before i went to cornwall in the mini (thats another story about counrty lanes and sublime handling) and he says just pop in and they will take a look.

I do think it must be the catch or the lock or something. I only found out about the remote boot today but that has no effect.
Ant I had *exactly* the same problem and also had to call out MINI rescue.
I thought I was a one off, but alas I do not feel so special anymore. :( :(

I posted the following in another thread the other day.

To fix, all you need to do is take out the red plugs either side of the lock to gain access to the bolts that hold it in place.
Loosen them off a little, nudge the mechanism towards you a touch (a few mm at most) and then tighten the bolts up.
You should now notice that it shuts without the worry of the rear window falling out.
Be careful not to bring it forward too much, else the boot wont seal properly and you will get a/another rattle.

OR

Get your dealer to do it :D :D
See less See more
excellent help, I will be going for another crafty cigarette in a mo and having a look for these red plugs, if it looks an easy job I may well tackle it myself, but if not it looks like a trip to the dealers, who are happy to help.
Did you do it yourself or was it the mini rescue chap(ette) who did it for you. Only I'd hate to mess anything up and loose my warrenty.
furby69 said:
excellent help, I will be going for another crafty cigarette in a mo and having a look for these red plugs, if it looks an easy job I may well tackle it myself, but if not it looks like a trip to the dealers, who are happy to help.
Did you do it yourself or was it the mini rescue chap(ette) who did it for you. Only I'd hate to mess anything up and loose my warrenty.

MINI rescue did it to begin with, but being the fiddly little f***er that I am, I had to get out the tool box and have a go myself.
If I can do it anyone can do it, trust me.
:)
I have had a quick looksy, and I see the plugs, I am guessing you mean the ones which are part of the plastic boot trim, red becuase I have a red interior, black if you have a black one???
Looks easy enough when I get home and have a socket set at my disposal.

Just found a quick fix though if it ever happens again and you are in the middle of no where, just keep the exterior boot release button pressed when you shut the boot, shuts nice and easy then, obviously release the button when shut and it locks into place.
furby69 said:
I have had a quick looksy, and I see the plugs, I am guessing you mean the ones which are part of the plastic boot trim, red becuase I have a red interior, black if you have a black one???
Oooops didn't think of that :eek:
But yes, those are the correct ones.
furby69 said:
excellent help, I will be going for another crafty cigarette in a mo
Smoking is bad for your health :)
Smoking is bad for your health
Does that include smoking your tyres???
Kinster said:

Smoking is bad for your health :)
That could said for a lot of my hobbies, but then I wouldn't have the excuse to fiddle with my car if i didn't have my hobbies.
I was once told another hobby would make me go blind so to counteract it I just ate more carrots.
So the more I smoke the more I must drive my Mini to counteract as I do not smoke in my car so that has got to be good for me.
ant said:

Does that include smoking your tyres???
Never tried smoking tyres. Any good? :)
Just thought I'd post an update for anyone interested out there.

I looked at the boot catch and thought about moving it back a couple of mm myself but didn't want to as I thought the boot was nice and flush as it was and didn't want to bugger it up.

Anway to cut a long story short, I took it to Altwood, my dealer who are very good IMHO, and they found out it was the catch attached to the body which doesn't always catch. So they have ordered a new catch and are coming out to fix it on Wednesday.

Just want to say thanks for the advice I recieved, and I will let you all know if the new catch sorts out the problem.

Cheers
My car got into a state like this the other day. I had held down the unlock button on the remote for 5 seconds to automatically open the hatch. It clicked but when I pulled it was still stuck. So I held the remote button down again. It started clicking repeatedly. It was open but then it wouldn't latch when I closed it. I pushed the button on the hatch and tried again and it closed/latched. So I think I'll stop using the remote unlock feature. I've also noticed it taking a lot of pressure for it to latch properly. I've gotten in the car a few times and the trunk open indicator is on. I'll probably take these issues up with the dealer eventually...

Kevin
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.