MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finalized my order for a MINI Cooper S with MINI Markham. Turns out the 20 or so people ahead of me declined a Cooper S because they didn't want the first batch of colours or options.

The colours for a Canadian, April build Cooper S are as follows:
Electric Blue with a White Roof
Dark Silver with a White Roof
Chili Red with a White Roof
Pure Silver with a Black Roof

We couldn't decide between BRG or Yellow, so we're getting Red. :)

You can also choose to outfit it with the Premium Pack, Sport Pack and Sunroof. Initially, no options can be purchased outside of a package.

I'm giving up the Cruise Control and Trip Computer I wanted. We are getting the Sport Pack and Sunroof.

Interior options are two: Leatherette or Lapis Blue Leather.

We were undecided between Space Cloth and Leatherette, so that's decided for us as well.

So, I think that's a nicely Spec'd car. Red is just fine. The Integra was Red, it was nice. I will get delivery sometime in May. My other option would have been to wait my place in line (21) and most likely get my car in winter. Maybe late winter. Maybe later.

So this is good. While I liked the idea of the Cruise Control and Trip Computer, I like the idea of having it for summer a LOT MORE. I've flipped between colours so many times in my head, it's only recently that it came down to a battle between Yellow or BRG. Now that it's red, I've got 2 months to convince myself that the RED/WHITE is the best combo (what a nice Canadian colour scheme) and then I get to fall in love with the car in May.

P.S. Can anyone pop my euphoria bubble and tell me I'm stupid for signing a purchase order for an expensive car I've never driven? I'm trying to prepare myself for what my family and friends are going to say.

The only thing I can go on right now is reviews (not a bad one yet), autoshows (I've been to two) and the days, hours, minutes, etc... that I have spent reading articles, collecting pictures, chatting, etc...

So, what d'ya think? Should I have held out 7 or more months for a colour and two options I wanted? My significant other is elated with the red, and didn't even want the Sport Pack, so I think I did pretty well, all told. It had to be some kind of compromise between us anyway... I wanted go faster stripes, she didn't. Surprise surprise, look who won. :rolleyes:
Actually, I've talked her into the 6-speed and Supercharger from an automatic CVT Cooper, so maybe I win. :)

Anyways, a selfish thread, I know... But if anyone wants to talk about it, it's my new favourite topic!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Noahe,

You're a lucky bum :D Now the real waiting begins.

As for the bubble bursting, Back in 1988, I purchased a Honda CRXsi, the second generation model before it was released, and no regrets - I've still got it! :D

Good Luck,
Pete

·
Registered
86 Posts
Go with your heart...

Noahe...go for it ! I'm feeling the same about my launch cooper (also Chilli Red/White)...also with go faster stripes...keep in touch, we need to do a GTA New Mini meet in late Spring... I know a few guys thru these postings...if we could get 5-10 Minis together around Ontario Place, could be a blast...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I meant she won... We're not getting any go faster stripes.:(

A GTA MINI meet would be fun. So far all of the cool MINI stuff I've read about is in the UK. A distinctly Toronto backdrop like Ontario place with the CN Tower visible would be nice for the picture we could post about OUR MINI meet.

The Civic CRX Si was a neat car. I taught my buddy how to drive his after he bought it. He took me along, because he couldn't get it home. But he loved it so much, he was determined to learn. Later we wound up driving it on March break to Florida in what the newspapers called "The storm of the Century". We'd set off early on a thursday, so we missed the headlines. Caught the storm though. I'll never forget that car. That one truly was a go-cart. The MINI is going to be a luxury go-cart in comparison.

I think I might get one of those licence plates with the Canadian flag on it. Now that I've got a Red/White Cooper S comming. That might be fun.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey Noah! Mini Markham is really pissing me off. I have not heard anything from them at all. I know I am really close to you on the list and I have not recieved one phone call or email about anything.

I am starting to think that they are not taking me seriously because I look a little younger and they don't think I have the money or something like that. I feel really let down by there service. I am almost thinking of not getting a mini at all because of having to deal with all these BMW dealers.

What do you think? Do I have a reason to be pissed off?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jay,
Did you express undying interest in a specific model, colour or option? Because not nearly everything is available on the first batch of cars.

It is also possible that I am a bit ahead of you on the list. When she faxed me my revised purchase agreement, it looks like I gave them the deposit a bit earlier than I remember doing. I have to check my MasterCard statement for the exact date.

I am quite sure she was going through the list fair and square. She indicated that she'd contacted people ahead of me, and they had declined on colour or option availability.

She also told me my place in line if I waited for the BRG or Yellow, or Cruise or Trip Computer would put me after the expected August-September date. They simply don't know how many per month they're going to get. Hell, MINI might boost production and the exact car I wanted weould be available just a month or two later. I can live with that, some people can't.

But, unofficially things look grim. The 3000 expected units are down to 2000. The 30% Cooper S allocation could dip below 25%. It very well could have been winter or later till I got my car if I didn't take this one.

I spoke with her 4pm Saturday, and had to let her know, paperwork signed and all, before Monday morning. I had to commit that fast, because if by Sunday evening I'd said no, then I guess she'd have to risk pre-specing a car.

We thought on it fast, and although we'd just gotten comfortable between choosing BRG and Yellow, this fit our originaly idea for the car: A fun colour, all the safety and go faster options, none of the luxury crap... Although part of me wanted to drop the full 1600 on the Premium Pack, just to get the Cruise Control. :rolleyes:

I'm sure that is too much to spend on a feature that I get to use less and less on the way up to the cottage these days because of traffic.

Anyways, Jay, I don't think they've got it in for you... I've been called once at the office. Had one of three emails returned, and the rest was all me calling her.

BTW, how young are you? I'm 27, but I still get carded, so I doubt I put forward the impression that I was either old or loaded. True, I'm buying the car outright, but that's because of an internal family loan, and I don't think MINI Markham even knows how I intend to pay for it yet.

To be honest Jay, and please don't spite me for it, I'd have to guess that if I didn't take this Red/White one, then in a phone call or two, it would have been offered to you. (Yeah, I can tell already... You hate me:eek: )

·
Registered
179 Posts
No No NO. I don't hate you at all. I was out of the office on Friday so who knows. She might have even called or something. I remember telling her that I was hoping to get the car the last week of October because my current lease runs out on the 25th of Oct. and I need a car for then.

You only make me jealous of having a mini in the summer! I can just picture driving down lakeshore ave on a nice summer day and then driving up yonge street having everybody pointing and staring!! You luck bastard! :p. I think I am just getting a little too antsy because it is sooo close to the launch date. I better settle down a little bit. I'm 23 by the way and I am worried about what you are saying about having to wait till the winter or something. I am also going through some little financial matters so I might not be able to get an S which is really upsetting me at the moment. I planned on leasing the car which is not a good thing to do at all but I have been waiting sooo long to get a mini I can't wait anymore and I need a car anyways after my current car. I am hoping to save a whole lot of money before October and then I might be able to buy it.

Has anyone heard of lease rates and such? Does anyone know if you will be able to bargain with them to get the car a little cheaper than MSRP or will they just tell you to screw off because they have hundreds of people who would want the car and pay for it.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got to admit, it's a bit of a stretch for me too. But this is the most affordable dream car I have ever wanted, and now it's comming. Incredible.

I suspect with the three years service and expected residual value, that this car isn't as expensive as I think. Look at something liket he VW Corrado, those things are STILL expensive used. Buy a VR6 version of the Corrado and you can name your price. They're just not depreciating.

Realistically, you have to be prepared to wrap your Cooper S around a pole, and be paying it off while you have nothing... I'll be comfortable, I'll survive. I'll not be eating Kraft Dinner to fund my car. If I'd bought a Jetta with all the trimmings, it'd cost the same. But since it's a miniscule hatchback, I'll have to defend the price to everyone who asks. So far, the best answer has been: If you think $40,000 after tax is too much, don't buy one.
(It is, I did, and I'll bet it's even better than I think.)

Remember the autoshow? I couldn't believe just how well built the little car was. Fantastic.

So, Jay, if you can't get a Cooper S, don't kick yourself. It is expensive. Get a Cooper. Same handling, and slightly better styling I think. The best article I read said the Cooper wasn't the fastest. Not nearly, it was at the back of the pack. But it felt the fastest, and put the biggest smile on your face.

Stick to it, even if it changes a bit. By today, about 21 hours after I've finalized my deal, I've convinced myself that the Red/White car is the best colour now. Look at what Cooper money could buy you. Test drive those cars. I'll bet supercharger or no, it's going to be the best little car around.

Oh, and if I see you at the stop-light in a Cooper, who knows, I could always miss a gear and you'll go flying by.

Given the recent culture for customizing small cars, you could always get a stock Cooper and have it running circles around me in a few years, when the aftermarket people realize what a Gem the MINI is.

Don't be sad about an S. Be happy about a MINI.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah. You are soo good with words. I am really starting to think of a cooper.

I love the mini in either Cooper or S form. Its still nice because its not like there will be many minis around anyways. I know insurance would have been a killer. I would have been spending the first year with the car eating kraft dinner and not doing anything. I live on kraft dinner now anyways because I really enjoy it. haha.

Perhaps a very nice Indy Blue cooper with white roof and wheels is the business. I still think it is a gorgous car but when all of us get our minis and meet sometime this spring, you have to take me for a ride in the S just so I can dream. who knows. In a couple years I might be more financially sound and I could always trade up to an S or who knows if there might be new developments like an all wheel drive one or something. I am pretty sure I am going to go for the cooper now. I know I will never regret it one bit. I just really wanted to be able to have a car that can goo really fast. I have the rest of my life for that.

Thanks for your encouraging words!

J

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jay,
I say, you're on the list, get the car. If that winds up being a Cooper, you'll love it to bits.

The Indy Blue/White Cooper is a great choice. Here's the very first picture I ever saw of the MINI. It was the car you're describing, and it was love at first sight.

There WILL be exciting performance modifications comming. It's inevitable. The market demands it. I'd be surprised if you couldn't wrangle at least 150 hp from the Cooper in a couple years with a few slick parts.

I don't even expect the Cooper S could take everything at the stoplight, but who cares, I won't be trying. It will be a sweet little ride, and plenty of fun when I want it to be.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Noahe - congratulations! I'd be jealous if mine wasn't on the way too....

Jayomatic... I've ordered the Launch edition in blue with white base $27,500 - came in over $31K.

The cooper will go the speed limit and then some. you don't need an "s". in fact, buy one and we can feel smug when we see Noahe driving by - another $10K for the hole in the bonnet! :p

Noahe - I don't mean it - I'm just trying to get young Jay on board :p :p :p

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No offense taken, you couldn't get me down with a ladder. I'm reeling with excitement, and I've still got a good wait.

I actually agree. I like the 'look' of the Cooper. My S isn't costing me a whole $10 over the Cooper. But it isn't chump change either.

Admittedly, when I caught wind that the S had a supercharger and 163 HP on tap, I just got drunk on the idea of the power. Before I knew it, I'd committed to the S and signed off on a BIG chunk of money.

I will keep this car forever, or till it dies. Someday, we'll also get a PT Cruiser, or a Station Wagon, or god forbid a MINIvan. But, to be certain, I won't be driving the family car. The MINI will be parked beside, and it'll be mine, mine, all mine!!!

Until then, we've got one car. It's a smart, little, fuel efficient hatch-back (Okay, sure it's a full-blown sports car, and no I won't tell you what it cost, or if I'm still paying for it).

I'm plenty happy. You'll absolutely love your Launch Edition. I think Jay would love a Cooper more than anything else in his price range, and I'd hate to see him drop out of line, because he couldn't afford an S.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have been doing some soul searching all day about the damn car! I was thinking about it sooo much I took a drive downtown to the Edge 102 studio to look at the mini they have in the studio.

Its a nice black cooper with 17s and leather interior. All the nice chrome bits. I was in love again. Every time I see the freakin car I just get all hyper and jumping around much like I did when I would go into Toys R Us!

The one thing I am really wondering is the wheels available. I really want the 17's S spoke wheels. The cooper had them on it and I have seen lots of pictures of people with those wheels on their coopers.

Does anyone know if the S spokes are available with the cooper?

I think I will be happy with the cooper. I was startin to get a little worried about insurance and it was looking like I would have had to pay something like almost $400 dollars a month for the first year owning the S. I'm much better off paying a normal amount and being able to afford to go out and do things with it instead of it sitting in my garage because I can't afford to go out! haha.

Thank You guys for all your support! I have been losing sleep over the damn car! I'm obsessed!

My new baby.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm getting a red one too! I think I'll get mine in May, as well, as the only extra I added to my Cooper 'S' was the panoramic roof. Besides, I'm about #4 or 5 on the list, anyways. :)

I was also told that I will probably be bumped ahead even further, as many customers have "settled" for a Cooper instead of a Cooper 'S' because they don't want to wait.

I don't live too far from Toronto. (Kitchener). Maybe sometime we'll pass eachother on the 427. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've also settled for a cooper.

I went by Town & Country BMW today and talked to Lindsay to get some pricing. She was soo nice. She even remembered my name and everything from back last summer. She had a brown folder with my name on it with brochures and price booklets inside. I was wayyyy over reacting!

Worked out some lease/financing scenarios and stuff. I was just wondering. Do you think we are able to bargain with them? I know there must be a way. All dealers do it so is it different when the car is highly sought after?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Jayomatic said:
I've also settled for a cooper.

Worked out some lease/financing scenarios and stuff. I was just wondering. Do you think we are able to bargain with them? I know there must be a way. All dealers do it so is it different when the car is highly sought after?
I don't think you can bargain - I've read in MINI2 and elsewhere on several occasions that the structure of the dealerships is closer to Saturn than BMW. The salespeople (of minis) are not commissioned, but are order takers. The demand will outstrip the supply for several years. This explains why you don't see BMW salespeople crossing over to the mini dealerships (that and the fact that you make a lot of money on every Bimmer you sell). Also - dealers are being kept honest by head office and not selling over the MSRP. It appears that some of this is happening in the USA but I haven't heard about it here.

On the plus side you can take solace in the well-documented fact that the Canadian prices for mini appear to be the lowest worldwide.

Maybe try bargaining on the freight amount? Thats the only figure that isn't public. For the record, I got charged $1245 on my Launch Edition. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think you'd have much luck trying to bargain for the car price. Maybe you could have a go at some nice financing terms... Check-out a few banks first, so you have some info to go on.

Honestly, I don't expect that there's a lot of room to negotiate on these cars, about anything.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got charged 1295 on the freight. But if you want to try and get the $50 bucks out of them, be my guest. I'd rather just agree to the sale at MSRP, and have it go as smothly as possible.

So far Lindsay has been very friendly. Since the car is geting all of it's servicing there for the next three years, I'd ike to keep it that way.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's a neat logo. Where'd that come from?

I really think the cars cost what they cost here. While it's not a pay-one-price dealership, it isn't driven by commissions either. I'm sure the Freight and PDE, PDI or whatever it is called in different places, is a standard charge. What there isn't, is any rebates, so frequently offered for so many other cars.

Given the demand, I think we're lucky it's going for MSRP. I think the dealer deserves to make a bit of money on each sale. I'm glad that I'm getting a fair price, as defined by the fact that everyone else is paying the same (give or take a couple hundred) price.

This is my first new car. I wouldn't know how to negotiate a 'deal'. I wouldn't really even know how to avoid getting hosed.

It's pretty nice to know that someone somewhere else didn't just get the same car for thousands less. That's fair.

If I hadn't put my money down on a MINI so long ago, I would probably be shopping at a pay one price dealer, or buying a car over the internet, or using one of those buying services. Because the whole idea freaks me out just a bit. As it turns out, this has been a really easy process...

Now the only thing that feels weird, is that is was just that fast and easy to part with that much money.

I believe there is actual value in the car, albeit a different sort of value than one is accustomed to...

Quality build
Heritage name
Retro-inspired looks
Whiz-bang technology
Actual sporty performance
Hatch-back utility
Easy on gas
Clean emmissions

But it's not as my grampa says, "a whole lot of car for the money". It's small. Real small. But I'll take quality over quantity, and I guess I'm a little Gen-X, because I even kinda value the cache the car has. I'll like the looks it gets, I like the name, I'll even enjoy it's temporary exclusivity.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts