MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
MINI Owner!
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my brand new MINI last weekend (loving it!) and I figured I better get an alarm for it before I drive it to school. So I took it to a local place that does this; I got a good deal on the alarm, but unfortuatley I had to leave it with them overnight. I could have picked it up at 4:30, but I had other plans that made it impossible to get my car. They told me that I could leave it with them in their "garage". And unfortunately I think by their "garage" he meant his house... :eek: . I don't recall exactly how many miles were on it when I dropped it off, but I'm pretty sure it was below 185, and I know for sure it was less than 190. This morning when I picked it up it had 197 miles on it! Now that's not many miles, but if it was driven hard then 10-15 is bad. I guess I can only assume it was driven kindly... but if it wasn't should I be worried about engine problems in the future with this car....? :( Aaagh... why did I leave it with them! Or... am I making too big of a deal out of this?

·
Damned
4,534 Posts
afromanbob said:
... Or... am I making too big of a deal out of this?
Probably ...But you cant blame them for wanting to take it out for a "Test"
-----------------------​

Humour me here ... How come yours didnt have a Factory Alarm Fitted :confused:

·
MINI Owner!
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was never aware of a factory alarm. And no, hehe, I can't blame them for wanting to take it out for a test!

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
its a bit unfair that they did that! my mum once took her car for a service and we picked it up it had done loads of miles and the radio was on full whack so it nearly blasted the speakers :eek: :mad: stupid people! :mad:

i wouldnt worry about engine problems though i wouldnt have thought it would make a difference :confused:

your right to be concerned though - this cars your pride and joy :)

happy motoring :D :red: :red: :D

·
MINI Owner!
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah, they also messed with the radio. When I dropped it off it was on CD, when I got in it this morning it was on the radio, but at least it wasn't blasting... when I got in....

·
mini-drive6979
16 Posts
I know exactly how you feel I put my pride and joy in to a garage to have Dual Controls fitted(am a driving Instructor) when I put the car in she had 220 miles on the clock when I picked the Min up 4 hours later she had 263 on the clock WOW where the heck did these come from, also there was a quarter of a tank of D gone. I had no evidence but I still wrote a letter of complaint to the garage and was given as a GOODWiLL gesture a token for a Valet :mad: STUFF THAT I wouldnt trust them again. the worst thing is. not nowing if some flipping idiot(putting it nicely) has been driving your car like a moroon. I hope not :mad: good luck with the Min and hope things go well for you. :eb:

·
MINI Groupie
105 Posts
Good lesson for us all. When dropping off, very visibly and loudly document the mileage in front of whomever you are entrusting your rig to. It's just plain rude to take a test/joy ride without permission.

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
passrite6979 said:
when I put the car in she had 220 miles on the clock when I picked the Min up 4 hours later she had 263 on the clock WOW where the heck did these come from, also there was a quarter of a tank of D gone.
the thing is with all of this what happens if thet were to have gone through a speed camera :confused: :rolleyes: :( :eek:

·
MINI Owner!
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
supa-dupa-cooper said:
the thing is with all of this what happens if thet were to have gone through a speed camera :confused: :rolleyes: :( :eek:
Luckily there's hardly any speed cameras in the States.

·
M2 Bapmaster
3,138 Posts
Gereally if you're having work done on a car you'll have a receipt or service sheet etc which could be correlated up to the date and time on the spped camera to show that the carw asn't in your possesion at the time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
supa-dupa-cooper said:
there are too many over here! :rolleyes: "ooo look a spare bit of road lets stick up a speed camera" :p :rolleyes: :eek:

i understand that they are there for a reason though :(
Probably for the same reason they'll eventually end up posted all over our roads: revenue generation. No mitigating circumstances, no patrolman to let you off with a warning. Just quick, automated, machine-precise, doesn't collect a salary, never takes a sick day, doesn't have to live with the people it patrols, law enforcement. Clean driving record for 10 years straight? Oh, so sorry, the camera put you at 47 in a 40. Kiss that low insurance premium goodbye, 'cause you know; now we know the TRUTH! You're a big risk-taker yesiree. Look at you, 7 miles over the limit you CRIMINAL! And by camera, too! There's NO WAY it could be wrong! No way at all! It couldn't possibly be clocking that semi passing you. Nope, can't happen. This here technology is way advanced. So just be quiet and pay your fine, you rascally lawbreaker. Come now, pay up!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I'm with Electra with feeling it's not right for someone to take your MINI our for a joy ride in these circumstances. Perhaps you should ask them and let them know that you don't think it's good business?

As for speed cameras - I guess they include any traffic violations, right? :rolleyes: My husband had his photo op down on the Outer Banks of North Carolina this past August when we were ducking the hurricane...apparently he ran a red light. :eek: :bad:

A plethora of cameras does seem to smack of "Big Brother" a bit. :(

·
hey lightbulb head....
1,305 Posts
dont worry about any future engine problems!! your mini will go on for ever and ever and ever!!! (dont quote me tho for those who have had problems) they dont have the right to take the car for a spin but you can understand why they would want to! the alarm fitter probably took it home overnight so his neighbours would think WOW!!! he probably does it to all the cars he fits alarms to!! thats probably why they offer to keep your car over night!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
MrSpaz said:
Probably for the same reason they'll eventually end up posted all over our roads: revenue generation. No mitigating circumstances, no patrolman to let you off with a warning. Just quick, automated, machine-precise, doesn't collect a salary, never takes a sick day, doesn't have to live with the people it patrols, law enforcement. Clean driving record for 10 years straight? Oh, so sorry, the camera put you at 47 in a 40. Kiss that low insurance premium goodbye, 'cause you know; now we know the TRUTH! You're a big risk-taker yesiree. Look at you, 7 miles over the limit you CRIMINAL! And by camera, too! There's NO WAY it could be wrong! No way at all! It couldn't possibly be clocking that semi passing you. Nope, can't happen. This here technology is way advanced. So just be quiet and pay your fine, you rascally lawbreaker. Come now, pay up!
Well said....

Rawhyde

·
Rep withdrawal sucks.....
1,086 Posts
Reading this thread reminded me of that classic scene in the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" when they dropped off that lovely low-mileage Ferrari at the parking garage, and the parking attendants promptly took the car out for a 'test run' - that scene with the car in mid-air, the joyeous look on the faces of the parking attendants, and the strains of the soundtrack from 'Star Wars' in the background - PRICELESS :D :D :D

·
MINI Owner!
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
milliethemini said:
Reading this thread reminded me of that classic scene in the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" when they dropped off that lovely low-mileage Ferrari at the parking garage, and the parking attendants promptly took the car out for a 'test run' - that scene with the car in mid-air, the joyeous look on the faces of the parking attendants, and the strains of the soundtrack from 'Star Wars' in the background - PRICELESS :D :D :D
Yes, EXACTLY! In fact, I almost titled this thread "Who's seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off?" That's exactly what I feel like, just like Cameron. :p Oh well, at least I'm quite pleased with the alarm.

Also, what's this about someone saying something about a factory fitted alarm? Is that not offered in the States? Because I've never heard of it.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
afromanbob said:
Yes, EXACTLY! In fact, I almost titled this thread "Who's seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off?" That's exactly what I feel like, just like Cameron. :p Oh well, at least I'm quite pleased with the alarm.

Also, what's this about someone saying something about a factory fitted alarm? Is that not offered in the States? Because I've never heard of it.
Sure. Go to the MINI site. They offer a factory alarm system.

·
What's this button do?
568 Posts
afromanbob said:
Hmm.. well, too late now!
I think the alarm is actually dealer-fitted. At least that's what my MA said...
The car does come standard with the engine immobiliser and other theft-deterrent stuff (like doors that won't open from the inside when locked with the remote to delay access after a broken window), but $300 (plus fitting) gets you an ugly red blinky on your turn signal stalk and a siren.
We thought about getting it, but our insurance wouldn't change any (since the built-in stuff was apparently sufficient for the discount), and we didn't like the way it looked.
I don't think anyone listens to the sirens anyway...

-Eric

ps - there was a famous thread (real or not, I don't know) a few years back circulating around other forums about a Mustang owner who left her car for service and the service guy did several 120MPH+ drag runs and some other nasty, impolite stuff while it was in the shop. He then posted about it on a Mustang board that the owner also frequented...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts