MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Themikanic
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I invite comment please.
My Mini Cooper S Chilli arrived at the dealership today after a 4 month wait from production. My dealer forgot to order the DSC control that I optioned.
The company offered a new order for December, making an April '05 delivery.
I asked about retro fitting at the dealership & he quoted $10,000.00 that the dealer would have to pay the factory.
Where do I stand on this stuff up?

Michael. :ebblack:

·
JCW No. 1459
869 Posts
I can imagine that sort of sucks :( big time :mad:

Not many options I can think of ...

If you're going to wait until next year (and manage without the car) I would be asking for free DSC ... given the wait I don't think that is unreasonable ... plus a few extra goodies (I would be getting the deal in writing too :rolleyes:

Take the car without DSC and get them to throw in for free accessories to at least the value of the DSC ... body kit, spotties etc might be nice assuming you haven't already spec'd them

Get the dealer to review cars scheduled for delivery to Australia in the next month that are not allocated that are close to your original spec and get them to do you a deal

It all depends how you drive IMHO ... DSC is definately a worthwhile option, but if you drive like a nana then you probably will never need it ... if you drive like a maniac than its probably a good idea to get it :p

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
Themikanic said:
I invite comment please.
My Mini Cooper S Chilli arrived at the dealership today after a 4 month wait from production. My dealer forgot to order the DSC control that I optioned.
The company offered a new order for December, making an April '05 delivery.
I asked about retro fitting at the dealership & he quoted $10,000.00 that the dealer would have to pay the factory.
Where do I stand on this stuff up?

Michael. :ebblack:
Wonders never cease. I hope you enjoy your new loan car until the right car arrives. :D Hmm, maybe you can get the LSD fitted for free if you go for the new order. ;)

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
My suggestion to you is that if the DSC is on the order form and they have delivered a car without it then you should not only get the Money refunded you paid to get the DSC but then get the DSC fitted for FREE...

This is a case of they have sold you an item that is not what you spec'd so i believe the way that goes is that you have to either have that fitted for free and not pay for the option or something along those lines..

ACCC is a good starting point

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
I support the suggestions for seeking advice from the likes of Consumer Affairs Victoria and the ACCC. After speaking with them you should definitely have a clearer picture of what your options are.

By reading your post I assume you have not actually taken delivery of the car as yet. In which case know your rights before agreeing to take it. Make sure the car does not get registered in your name, unless you are happy for them to do so.

At the end of the day it is probably a simple and honest mistake, just make sure that you get looked after and do not get pressured into anything you are not comfortable with. If the dealer does try and offer you some sort of compensation leave the dealership and think their offer over before agreeing to anything.

:indi:

Cheers Liam

·
Themikanic
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks..........

Thankyou guys for your suggestions.
Though some people may call me a nana cos I don't drive too fast or wildly. I felt the DSC was a great idea 'cos of the kangaroos I have on the rural roads in my area. I also thought the DSC would go hand in hand with the JCW option I have also ordered.
I wrote a nice letter to the dealership offering me a way out of this. I have yet to receive a response.
I'm really stewing over this & at age 50, I'm not looking forward to missing out on a Summer of open sunroof, wind in my toupe` driving whilst waiting for another car to be built.
I have no intention of selling this car for many years. It will be as well looked after as my 1983 Mazda 626 I reluctanty am selling due to its advancing years & the need for its 3rd engine.
Michael.
:ebblack:
PS I don't really have a toupe`

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
Well, it depends how much you want DSC.

As already said, DSC is worthwhile, and it's in situations like you mention (taking evasive action at speed) that it pays for itself.

If you can live without it, then I'd say a refund of the option cost, as well as a dicsount for compensation is in order.
Otherwise, the dealer should give you a Cooper S (as a loaner) while you wait for a car with the proper spec to arrive.

You don't want DSC to be retro-fitted, trust me :)

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
Bwahahahaha!

Sorry to laugh, but I know who you are dealing with...

Damn shame to hear you are left stranded at this point in time.
I will duck down tomorrow and take some shots of the car for you, and post them here if you want.

I'd get the car and not worry about DSC personally.

I hope whatever happens happens fast, as I dont want to see you without a car for too long...

Hope to see you motoring soon!

Todd

·
1st MINI Owner in QLD !!!
2,467 Posts
I live in the real country :D ,.... 400km away from a subway, Dirt roads, etc,,,,
I lived and survived with out DSC or ASC+T. On my Soon to be deleivered Cooper S Chilli, I opted for the ASC+t only because it was there in the price. Personly not to big of a deal I think. Drive within your and your cars ability and you should have no problems.....

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
I'm going to say that I disagree... I think DSC is a really good safety feature. However, it's up to you as to whether you want to wait for it again. I know of a number of occasions where car have arrived missing things and the owners have said no. The dealership just has to wear it. It's entirely their fault. If you really want DSC, don't be pressured by them into accepting the car. Maybe ask if there is another car in dealer land that has DSC that is in a spec you would be happy with ??

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
brett said:
Drive within your and your cars ability and you should have no problems.....
It's usually when you ARE doing this that you need it most. You never know what's around the next corner and you can't count on everyone else on the road behaving themselves ;)

·
I love Lamp
339 Posts
Without being a expert on the subject, surely if you ordered DSC, and you paid for it, then the dealer is bound to provide you with this. If they have made an oversight and ordered the wrong car, they should be offering to do the retrofit, or like Liam said, they can offer you significant compensation (loan car / discount)

As for if it was worth it, i really don't know. I for 12 months always hit the switch so the light turned on, thinking that i was turning DSC on.......Then on a trip away MickyD pointed out that I have been turning it off the entire time. Since then I have now left it on....and the difference.............well i cannot tell the difference....I guess I am just not pushing hard enough :D

·
I am Jacks wasted life
557 Posts
Josh and Ali said:
I for 12 months always hit the switch so the light turned on, thinking that i was turning DSC on.......Then on a trip away MickyD pointed out that I have been turning it off the entire time. Since then I have now left it on....and the difference.............well i cannot tell the difference....I guess I am just not pushing hard enough :D

its saved my neck once quite spectacularly (which i've told countless times and resulted in the WRX i was chasing ending up in a telegraph pole and me fine and dandy) and another time just the other day i decided i wanted to take a turn way too late but DSC saw me through :) so i rekon its the best value option there is.

as for what to do.. surely they have a similarly specced car to the one u ordered in stock or comming in sooner than next year... or ring around dealerships.. and see what they have in stock/comming along.. take your money some place else

I too got a messed up order so i know how u feel.. thankfully it was only wheels.. took a little while to fix up.. but i got them in the end.

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
Wes, I wouldnt know how much the DSC helped you around the corner, I would assume that it would be the EBD control that got you around...

I have had one accident in my car *touch wood* I drive it very hard and the accident I had was on a tight road and I hit ice, the Traction control actually tried to control it and farked me up... on ice anyway, I was just a passenger!!

I would make THE dealer refund you the money and live without it... I would also let them know of your disgust if failing to order right also...

I personally couldnt wait that long for another one to come... and I dont think you will find one in the same colors as you have ordered... EB/B is quite unique.

Todd

·
I am Jacks wasted life
557 Posts
Red&blackS said:
Wes, I wouldnt know how much the DSC helped you around the corner, I would assume that it would be the EBD control that got you around...
i hadnt touched the brake in either instance so i fail to see how it was EBD.. first instance was in wet. let off the accelerator midbend as mr WRX was spinning in circles and got lift off oversteer and started to slide out.. DSC corrected it and sent me on my way.. instance the other day i turned too late, hard left turn going too fast understeering to wrong side of road, DSC kicked in and dragged me back..

in either instance i suppose i did deserve to have an accident im not condoning that sorta behaviour.. but it tends to happen i guess :) but it was definitely DSC paying for itself

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
I think perhaps DSC was applying the brake using EBD ;)

I could be wrong though

*edit*
I was wrong:
EBD: Electronic Brake Distribution - alters how much of the brake force goes to the front and how much to the rear. Cars always have more braking on front as if the rears lock before the front then the car will spin. How much braking you can do with the rears depends on how much weight is in the vehicle so EBD dynamically adjusts this balance. Without it, the manufacturer sets up the balance so the rears don't lock when the vehicle is empty

DSC brakes wheels individually

·
Being normal is not fun!
3,920 Posts
Personally I think that you should accept delivery, but try and fight for some nice freebies (i.e. bodykit, etc).

Speak directly to the dealer principle. Don't talk at all to the salesmen - the principle is the one who can sort things out.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts